Author Topic: Six Pack issues and rebuilding  (Read 148667 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Six Pack issues and rebuilding
« on: February 02, 2014 - 01:12:26 PM »
Oooops,
Took the cuda out to a cruise in last night. Fired it up and drove it about 8 miles, and then later on the way home my wife pulled alongside in her 2012 charger just a few blocks short of home and we just both dropped it. She got a jump on me and pulled about two lengths ahead because my rears spun for a moment, and "trying" to make up for lost ground to try and catch her before we reached about 60mph or so I may have overrevved.
After I shut er down at about 60, still a couple lengths behind, I coasted home from there, and noticed the engine didnt want to idle. It seemed to be running a few cylinders short. I just pulled it into the garage, and hoped for the best. It was late.
Starting er up again today, I noticed a cap off the brake booster, and I only noticed it because it was smoking like crazy. For at least a minute after I turned it off, smoke was pouring out like a boosted bong.
I am going to cap it off again, but should that much smoke be running through the system? Hope I didnt blow a head gasket.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014 - 01:00:28 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
Re: May have over revved the engine
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014 - 01:40:27 PM »

I guess the question becomes "How far did you over rev the motor?"

I would probably start pulling plugs and checking compression on each cylinder and check for water in your oil.

B
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014 - 01:44:59 PM »
I guess the question becomes "How far did you over rev the motor?"

I would probably start pulling plugs and checking compression on each cylinder and check for water in your oil.

B

Was going to do that but it seems the problem must be related to the carburator. I stepped away for 20 minutes, including my first quick posting here, and after it stopped smoking and I found a cap to replace the one that came off, I noticed at least a half gallon of fuel poured out the booster!  :dupe:
Its obviously coming straight out the vacuum line from the rear of the 6 pack. Looks like I have a long afternoon.
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014 - 01:48:19 PM »

Interesting a carb problem after over rev-ing.

If you are leaking out of a vacuum line you have a leak in a gasket somewhere.

Which carb/carbs are you running?

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014 - 01:56:17 PM »
Holly six pack

Offline HP_Cuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014 - 02:02:57 PM »

Well we can safely say it's the last carb that is spewing fuel. Pull the sight plug and see if it's over flowing then you know you have a float issue.

If so, I'd check the needle and seat and then if nothing else probably pull the carb to see what's going on and break her down.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014 - 02:05:51 PM »

The line from the rear of the carb to the booster was full of fuel and fuel was pouring out the rear of the carb when I pulled it off
What a mess
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014 - 09:55:36 PM by tommyg29 »

Offline HP_Cuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014 - 02:09:10 PM »

That sucks but you only have to pull one carb to find out what's going on.

It looks like the center carb is newer and the others are older yes?

At least the float bowl looks that way.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014 - 02:21:07 PM »
does your ignition system have a rev limiter?

for an over-rev, I'd be looking at the valve train.  May have some bent rods, etc.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014 - 02:22:31 PM »
Could have blocked the fuel line off and ran the engine out of fuel, then un-block the line and rev the engine quickly as soon as it starts. If there is a piece of debris blocking the needle and seat this usually will clean it off without a carb tear down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014 - 04:18:58 PM »
I have an MSD ignition system and dont think now my issue was actually due to overrevving. I have changed the title of the thread now because I think this is almost certainly a fuel issue. I pulled all 3 sight plugs on the right side and the levels were below the hole.
BUT...
Later this afternoon, on a whim I tried to start the engine again and it was blocked. Pulled all the plugs and three of the cylinders were full of fuel. Cylinders 3, 4 and 8. I actually didnt check #2 because its a PITA to get to.
Tried starting again and it still seems blocked. Although it almost sounded like it could be a dead battery now. Maybe...hopefully. Hope I didnt bend or break anything.
The flooding occurred earlier today, I left the ignition on for a few minutes when I first shut it off after pulling it out of the garage and noticed the open booster vac line smoking, and then a few minutes later pouring fuel out. Somehow the fuel must have poured through the carb and down the manifold in the cylinders while the engine was off but the fuel pump still running.
BTW, that brake booster vacuum line in the rear exits the rear of the intake manifold, NOT the rear carb.
Pushed it back in the garage and will think on it and start fresh another day.
Time to go out and watch the super bowl with friends.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014 - 04:37:48 PM by tommyg29 »

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
Re: May have over revved the engine- fuel issue?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014 - 04:46:05 PM »
IN your pic the center carb vent looks connected to your valve cover breather. I have my center vented to the rear of the engine open and the air cleaner to the valve cover. Could you possibly pull fuel into the motor if the center float hung?
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014 - 04:50:53 PM »
Tommy, were the cylinders that had fuel in them in the rear? Your description of the fuel pump being on and the fuel coming out the brake vacumn line sounds like it actually filled the cylinders and intake with fuel to the point that the  fuel ran into the vacumn line! Based on your story of how it happened, I wouldn't be surprised to find the float on the rear carb stuck down where it went, when you hammered it and it never came up, with the attending fuel pouring into the carb and through to the intake. Check your oil level too, since too much gas may have gotten through to the oil pan and be careful! With that much gas, everywhere, you're just a nice, fat MSD spark away from a nasty fire possibility. You can also take that back carb right off, plug the line and cover the opening to see if the other two are doing alright, since it'll run fine on the centre carb only. Good luck and don't have TOO many pints during the game!  :cheers:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014 - 06:17:23 PM »
At the very least I'd be changing the oil.  Like already mentioned a compression check with all the plugs out would be a good idea too? Hope it Ok and nothing major !
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline bandt

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014 - 08:34:16 PM »
Sounds like you have a stuck float. Stops the needle from seating and dumping fuel in.