Author Topic: long jumper wire from the battery to the input of the ballast  (Read 765 times)

Offline 340_6pak

long jumper wire from the battery to the input of the ballast
« on: September 27, 2010 - 08:31:09 am »
Recently someone said:

"I hope the pickup coil is THE solution but if not you can at least eliminate the possibility that power supply is the problem by making a long jumper wire from the battery to the input of the ballast resistor... If the problem goes away you know the issue is in the wiring/switch, if it does not you know it's ignition stuff or it's wiring. "

My 73 challenger just happens to have such a wire, and I would love to make it go away. The engine harness is new from Year One and the ign switch may just be original. Does anyone have any quick tips on troubleshooting/fixing this issue?

Thanks much!
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline Supercuda

Re: long jumper wire from the battery to the input of the ballast
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010 - 09:06:18 am »
No power to the ignition has been covered before, but the essentials are these: Key on, engine off, there should be power at the ballast resistor. If not, it is either the ignition switch, a bad connection at the firewall, or a faulty clutch/neutral safety switch. There are some other, minor things to check, but they tend to fall under these major groups.

Offline 340_6pak

Re: long jumper wire from the battery to the input of the ballast
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010 - 01:43:46 pm »
Good enough guys, I can trace it from here.

Thanks much!
73 Challenger
340 6pak