Author Topic: installing washer bottle wiring diagram?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
installing washer bottle wiring diagram?
« on: July 28, 2010 - 09:14:04 pm »
Guys I have to fit an aftermarket washer bottle [with motor ] as the original one is gone . I would like to hook it up to the original switch on the dash, would anyone have a wiring diagram, that would show the wire colours and where they originally go, any ideas?

Cheers for the help..
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: installing washer bottle wiring diagram?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010 - 09:22:31 pm »
The wire is brown in the harness running to the alternator.
find your schematic here http://www.mymopar.com/72to76_wiring.htm

#19 on the bulkhead connector
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010 - 09:25:06 pm by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010 - 12:30:14 am »
Your a champ.. you make my life easy  :2thumbs:

Do you have anything that shows the fuse box fuses and what amp each one should be? Mine is quite old and I can see it very well, should it have a cover over it?

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010 - 12:40:00 am »
I forgot to ask where does the washer bottle normally sit, maybe I'll find the wire there?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010 - 08:44:02 am »
washer bottle location is passenger side inner fender forward of the shock tower
power wire reaches from the motor across from behind the alternator

fuses...from the '73 service manual....no cover used
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010 - 08:50:57 am by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010 - 09:23:32 am »
Cheers Bullitt big help..
Thats the possition that I will be putting my aftermarket bottle in so thats ok. .
I cant understand what has happened to the wiring as the brown wire is going to both the temp sender and the oil pressure switch..? I can see the violet wire but it disappears in all the wiring, not attached to the temp sender? Guess I will have to unwrap all the tape and see whats going on ?? :clueless: The only wire that is coming out at the end [near the ALT] is a black and red wire, it just been cut off.

I'll ask you first as you have the answers! Turning on the wiper switch they dont seem to be indexing[?] properly at the end.. if you know what I mean, they just stop where you turn the switch off , not going back to rest..? is there a way of adjusting this. Im sure it was fine before...

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010 - 09:52:08 am »
re, wiper "park"   Not all wiper motors have this feature so it's possible to get the wrong motor.
 Function is controlled by the wiper switch, so it must be a correct working switch.
A correct motor can need adjustments for to park, not anything I have any experience with.

Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010 - 10:01:10 am »
Not sure about your Cuda but my '70 Challenger wouldn't "park" had the ground/earth wire at the switch not working just grounded switch and it worked.
Dave

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010 - 08:35:38 pm »
This is great stuff guys.. I'll have another crack at it today  :burnout:

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010 - 03:09:08 pm »
when my 70 cuda did that,wipers stops wherever they are when you turn off the switch,i screwed off the lid off the 3431077 motor and bended the contact-breaker stuff that is mounted to the inside off the lid a little bit.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010 - 01:49:15 am »
Good thread

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010 - 09:21:38 am »
Update.. The washer bottle. I found the red and black wire was the brown wire after taking all the tape off the wiring and discovering that some one had added that on and then added a brown wire onto the violet wire for the temp switch WTF  :banghead:. anyway seems that problem solved ..
The wiper motor.. I had to touch it didnt I :misbehaving:. I have it working about 90% its just the last inch or so it doesn't go all the way down in park. I'll just poke it down when I remember  ;) I made sure I had all the screws in place in the switch panel face, the lid of the motor I cleaned the breaker contact face and bent it back a little further. Im not quite convinced that the position of the gears etc are correct but when I had the wipers disconnected thats when I could see that it was working, no load on it, it was going all the way back to park , with the wipers on its just short an inch or two at rest, maybe with plenty of water it will take the load off and they will come good.. Just wont touch it any more!

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010 - 09:30:26 am »
I ran an extra wire from body of the switch to good ground on the body under the dash.
Dave

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010 - 09:33:09 am »
Just so you know,  Bullit posted a picture of a late model washer bottle.  The correct one for most 70-72 models fits in the corner, all the way up front.

To get your wipers to park, you have to make sure that your stainless piece lays flat against the glass. Sometimes you have to file the mounting holes a little so that it flattens out. You may have to bend it slightly too. Then the wipers slide right over it to park themselves.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010 - 12:13:07 pm »
 :wave:aha,maybe you put the lid back on the motor in the wrong position  :dunno:.there is a "piece" of the lid sticking out at the left side about 9 a clock,and then there are 3 corresponding notches at the same place but on the wiper-motor.those notches are for the park function,i think the upper notch is e-body and the other 2 abc body or something like that.with that said,try to move your lid a notch. :pullinghair: