Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: vanishing point challengers  (Read 6407 times)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
vanishing point challengers
« on: June 19, 2010 - 05:26:13 AM »
I watched vanishing point for the 1st time in my life last week.  It got me thinking about what happened to the 8 Challengers that Chrysler loaned out for the film.  Were there any survivors?

-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,009 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Cuda-Challenger.com

vanishing point challengers
« on: June 19, 2010 - 05:26:13 AM »

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: vanishing point challengers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010 - 06:02:44 AM »
I think there is one in a museum in Sevierville, TN. Not sure if it is a clone or the real deal. It has dust and dirt on it like it was plucked from filming and shipped directly to the museum.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.         -Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kissalien

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010 - 08:15:14 AM »
That car is from the horrible remake.

Since nobody has ever uncovered the VINs of the ones used in the original movie there is no way to know, but it is widely believed that all the original cars were destroyed.

Offline BB73Challenger

• 500 ci. of fun
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010 - 09:33:08 AM »
That car is from the horrible remake.

was pretty bad  :puke:
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010 - 01:54:58 PM »
I watched vanishing point for the 1st time in my life last week.  It got me thinking about what happened to the 8 Challengers that Chrysler loaned out for the film.  Were there any survivors?

If you watch the special features of the movie where the Director, Richard C. Sarafian narrates Vanishing Point (1971), he says they basically wrecked all the cars in the movie with the hard abuse and that near the end of filming they were taking parts off the other cars to keep the last one running.

In the movie Bullit with Steve McQueen, the Black 1968 Chargers were destroyed/crushed due to liability - Chrysler.

Another website says the same for the Vanishing Point (1971 movie) 1970 Challengers - no longer exist. Probably liability as well as the cars were on loan from Chrysler.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 - 01:57:33 PM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010 - 10:20:33 PM »
Yep, and on the subject of remakes, Looks like Hollywoods gonna try to remake "Christine" as well only this time the Christine is to be a Buick Grand National....As for the Challengers, I've heard everything from them being buried in the desert to running around Hollywood...Who knows.
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010 - 07:31:42 AM »
There were only 4 Challengers loaned for the making of the movie, 3  440 4spd's & 1 383 auto, they were badly damaged during filming, all were returned to Chrysler and were crush as they were about to release the '71 model and didn't want any damaged Challengers around. Also at least 1 of the Challengers was green when it left the factory.
If you look at one scene in the desert Barry gets into an auto, see the brake pedal, and they dubbed him changing gears, the auto was also used to tow the Camaro into the bull dozers at the end.
Rumours have one car in a museum and another in New Zealand but there is no proof that they are the originals.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010 - 09:42:43 AM »
yeh... I heard of one in NZ... think he`s a member here too....  :nzflag:  :burnout:
*** Bart ***

1970 plymouth Cuda 440-4

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010 - 08:49:55 PM »
The one in NZ you speak of is not from the movie. It is a factory ordered original White 440 R/T - but it's not one of the movie cars.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 - 08:52:06 PM by _Russ_ »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010 - 02:34:30 AM »
The one in NZ you speak of is not from the movie. It is a factory ordered original White 440 R/T - but it's not one of the movie cars.

:lol:   duh....    :faint:
*** Bart ***

1970 plymouth Cuda 440-4

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010 - 07:08:54 AM »
The one in New Zealand that I heard of was supposed to be the 383 auto car but nobody has any documentation or proof that it is the original car.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline cudazappa

• SolidBushings.com
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010 - 08:41:39 AM »

:droolingbounce: that's gonna be my wallpaper!
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2010 Ram - Hemi 4x4

Cuda-Challenger.com

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010 - 08:41:39 AM »