Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Solid lifter vs. Hydraulic - Pros and Cons  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Glennster

Solid lifter vs. Hydraulic - Pros and Cons
« on: August 08, 2009 - 07:51:21 AM »
Looks like I may have found a motor, a 340 stroked to 416. It currently has a big solid lifter cam that makes the engine real choppy. I'm having the guy put a short duration cam in that will tame this thing down and get me more to a lopey instead of choppy idle.
 This is going to be used mostly on the street, I would like to go to the strip for the occasional Friday Night Test & Tune.

What are the big differences between solid and hydraulic, will I need to be adjusting valves all the time?
How hard is it to make the adjustments.
Is there a cost difference if I ask him to take me from solid to hydraulic?
 Please forgive my ignorance on this stuff, I'm just starting to learn about this stuff. The learning curve is pretty steep for me......

Cuda-Challenger.com

Solid lifter vs. Hydraulic - Pros and Cons
« on: August 08, 2009 - 07:51:21 AM »

Online Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Solid lifter vs. Hydraulic - Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009 - 08:56:01 AM »
The hydraulics would be great for a mild-moderate performance build.  They are dependable and very low maintenance, but they don't make the same power in the upper rpm range as the solids do.  As far as maintenance on the solids, once you set the valve lash, if your locks don't loosen up for some reason, they will hold for a very long time.  I have a buddy that is running a roller set up in his 416 on the street and he only checks the lash in the spring before cruising/dragstrip season.  Not because they need it, but because he just wants to check and make sure.
I think you would be happy either way.  The least maintenance is the hydraulics, but at a performance cost.  Valve lash adjustments don't bother me at all, plus I like the sound of the solids rattling around in the engine when it is running......     :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009 - 09:25:06 AM »
If you're only running a mild cam, then the hydraulic is the way to go. Valve adjustment is dependent on how hard it is driven and how many miles.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Global Moderator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 - 11:11:32 AM »
I prefer the solid cams , you already have the parts to use a solid so expense is the same either way , maintainence is minimal

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009 - 11:47:45 AM »
 :iagree:   And just like Oldschool I love the intimidating sound of a solid cam on a mufflered street car.  ;D
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Topcat

• Permanent Resident
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009 - 12:47:56 PM »
If you plan to go with Solid lifters, non roller camshaft, there is a type of modified lifters you can use that will help prevent camshaft lobe wear. They are called EDM solid lifters. They have a small hole that is laser drilled on the face of the lifter. This allows just a little bit of oil directed to the lifter lobe. I'll be using these on my Hemi with a Bullet Cam. They're especially good to use with higher lift ratios.

Howards Cams sells them. They are a modified AMC lifter

http://www.howardscams.com/index.html
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Cuda-Challenger.com

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009 - 12:47:56 PM »