Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Kwik-Strip Before & After Paint Stripping Pics  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Kwik-Strip Before & After Paint Stripping Pics
« on: August 04, 2009 - 03:22:46 PM »
I posted this on another message board, but decided to share it here too. I know it's not one of those favorable E-Body things, it's just a Satellite, but I figured that other members here can probably benefit from a paint & rust stripping method I tried out.  :cheers:

--------------------------------------------

Most people have heard of Redi-Strip services, the place that provides paint & rust stripping by way of submerging the parts, or the entire car in a chemical tank. The one I used is now called Kwik-Strip in Allentown, PA & the closest one to me in New York with a 2 hour drive, one way. I've seen the Allentown ad in Hemmings since the late 1980's & recently decided to try them out on some parts instead of grinding, blasting, or sanding for who knows how many days.

Some advice if you decide to call, or go there. It's basically a one man operation, so the owner, John, may or may not answer the phone. It's best to reach him early in the morning before he's out in the shop. If you go there in person, it isn't as easy to find as most places. There is no building with a number on it, it looks to be an old freight yard with lots of old railroad sidings that lead into the metal buildings. The property is huge, & has several other businesses operating & all have the same address. There is an old Redi-Strip sign on the fence, & the only indication the place is in there.

Kwik Strip Inc.   http://kwikstrip.com/default.aspx
610-437-7878
1 W. Allen St. Unit #5
Allentown, PA 18102

I was told that the method was to first bake the parts in a large oven to burn off the paint & undercoating. It would turn it all to ash & ready it for the submersion in hydrochloric acid to remove the rust. After soaking in the acid, it would be rinsed & treated with a phosphate that leaves a temporary coating to prevent flash rust on the surface. This protection won't last long, so you need to store the parts indoors in a dry location & paint them right away.

25 years ago when I bought my 1969 Satellite convertible, the front fenders were nasty. Since I sold my '70 GTX & liked the '70 front end a little better than the '69, I yanked the '69 nose, sold the parts at a swap meet, & put the spare '70 front clip on the Satellite. After all these years I bought another '70, my Road Runner, so I decided that that Satellite needed to have the correct nose back on it. I found a solid pair of fenders for at Carlisle a few years ago & decided to experiment with Kwik-Strip.

You can see all the original paint & undercoating in the pics. This would have taken forever to strip it manually, especially the area at the headlight pods, & I don't have time for that.

(1,2,3,7, & 9)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009 - 03:33:03 PM by Old Moparz »
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Cuda-Challenger.com

Kwik-Strip Before & After Paint Stripping Pics
« on: August 04, 2009 - 03:22:46 PM »

Offline Old Moparz

Re: Kwik-Strip Before & After Paint Stripping Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009 - 03:25:06 PM »
After just a one week turnaround on the parts being stripped, I went to go get them. Of course there is both good news, & bad news. The good news is that both fenders were stripped completely right down to the bare metal. The bad news is that the one bad area on the underside bracing, was also on the outer sheet metal. It should be an easy repair since its not in a tough area to work on & relatively small.

The small amount of surface rust you see is because I waited several days for all the damn rain to stop so I can get some self etching primer on them.   :stomp:

(25, 26, 28, & 29)

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 - 03:26:28 PM »
Once I had both fenders cleaned up from the surface rust & scuffed with a wire wheel, I sprayed them with a self etching primer. The primer was just a rattle can of Rustoleum. & will be sprayed later with a sealer. I am not sure how long itll be before the car makes it to the body shop to be painted, but some areas will need to be worked on so this is all a long term, temporary measure.

The underside of the fenders were treated with a different type of paint that is a sealer/primer. A friend of mine told me about it & weve used it many times over the years & it works great. It used to be called Master Coat, but now is called Master Series Coatings by PM Industries. Its some strong stuff & holds up much better than any other paint Ive used. Its similar to POR-15, but I like it better & so does my friend whos used both.

PM Industries: http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

Master Series Page: http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/primer/

(30, 31, 34, & 37)

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009 - 03:27:47 PM »
The nice thing about the Master Series paint is that you can brush it on, or spray it on, but you cant thin it to do so. (says so in the instructions) Since its the underside, I used a bunch of the disposable sponge brushes which will contour & fit into all the hard to reach areas. The underside of the headlight pods are accessible with pressing the sponge by hand, but make sure you use rubber gloves since this stuff will not come off your skin.

The reason I had these fenders done now, is that I am planning to dip my '68 Coronet convertible & wanted to see how the process goes on a smaller scale. I won't be ready for the entire car to be dipped for a while, but I do have to plan for it.

Here's a couple more photos showing the passenger side fender before & after. The headlight area came out nice & I couldn't imagine getting it this clean any other way.

(36,19, & 21)

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009 - 03:42:05 PM »
The fenders were $210 to strip the pair. The tanks he has are 18 to 20 feet long & big enough to dip the entire car, but I didn't ask him how much that would cost. The building has a crane, so if you brought your car there on a trailer, he can lift the car right off. This is something that you'd need to talk to him directly about since I don't know the exact procedure. If you have the car stripped of all parts down to a shell, you still need a way to lift it so nothing is damaged. I was told by a body shop that has used Kwik-Strip before, that they did a convertible & welded in a temporary frame with a place for the crane to hook it so it can be lifted.

The owner of Kwik-Strip, John, is a Mopar guy himself, & had his own, mid 60's Imperial ready to go into the tank when I picked up my fenders. He mentioned to me on the phone before I brought him the fenders, that I should make sure that anything on the fender that I want to salvage that isn't metal should be removed. The example he gave was the plastic retainers/sockets that are pressed into the headlight pod areas for mounting the headlight rings. He said if you don't remove them, they won't be there after the dip.

If the plastic managed to survive the baking process, which is unlikely, I doubt it'll make it past the hydrochloric acid dip. These fenders I have didn't have any bondo in them & showed no signs of any past body work, so I don't now how the dipping effects body filler. My guess is it would all disappear like the paint, rust, undercoating, & plastics.

Hope this stuff can help if someone is considering to go through the truble of stripping some parts.   :cheers:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 - 05:00:41 PM »
looks good, but how does one burn off all paint without damaging the sheetmetal   :clueless:  you need pretty high temps to get it off...
*** Bart ***

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009 - 05:50:02 PM »
looks good, but how does one burn off all paint without damaging the sheetmetal   :clueless:  you need pretty high temps to get it off...

That's a good question, but I don't have an answer for what temperature is used, or for how long. I do know that my fenders are fine & there isn't any warpage or damage. This place has been in business since the late 1980's & went from doing mostly industrial parts, to mostly car parts currently. If there were lots of damaged parts, like the thin sheet metal, I'm sure this place wouldn't be around. I plan on doing this again in the future, so it'll be a good question just out of curiosity.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009 - 06:45:32 PM »
I`d like to know too...  never heard of working that way with sheetmetal, but it looks good  :thumbsup:
*** Bart ***

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009 - 11:35:31 PM »
Hey Old...I thought I had replied to this thread somewhere, but couldn't find it now....if I have abd you've answered, let me know which site and disragard this.
I had comemnted that I've read many don't like the acid dipp due to it staying in some crevices, not getting neutralized and then leaching out later to cause problems - have you heard that?
Also, you mentioned spraying them with a self-etch product. Will you top coat them before long? The self-etch is pourous and can let rust in if not coated with an epoxy primer now. Just a thought!

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009 - 12:08:30 AM »
 :popcorn:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:23:39 AM »
Hey Old...I thought I had replied to this thread somewhere, but couldn't find it now....if I have abd you've answered, let me know which site and disragard this.
I had comemnted that I've read many don't like the acid dipp due to it staying in some crevices, not getting neutralized and then leaching out later to cause problems - have you heard that?
Also, you mentioned spraying them with a self-etch product. Will you top coat them before long? The self-etch is pourous and can let rust in if not coated with an epoxy primer now. Just a thought!

I'm usually the one forgetting things, but it looks like you're worse than me.  :smilielol:

It was on the Garage Journal site.   :thumbsup:

Cuda-Challenger.com

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:23:39 AM »