Author Topic: Power Valve in steering box stuck??  (Read 25 times)

Offline jmartin99

Power Valve in steering box stuck??
« on: December 15, 2018 - 03:52:55 pm »
The other day when I started the challenger for the first time, the steering wheel immediately turned by itself all the way to the right. I attempted to pull it back to the left and could not move it. A friend said it sounded like the power valve in the steering box was stuck.

Does that sound like it is what the issue is with my car?  :1zhelp:

If so, how do you get it un-stuck?  :dunno:

Thanks!

Jeff  :pullinghair:

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
Re: Power Valve in steering box stuck??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018 - 04:41:11 pm »
Not power valve... Control valve.... If it's truly stuck it'll either debris or rust if it sat open at some point.....  But there's also the possibility it's just not adjusted properly & needs to be centered....

The control valve sits on top of the steering box, the hoses attach to it & it attaches to the box with two bolts.....  I'd probably pull it off & disassemble it to make sure theres no debris/rust...

There are some good pictures in this Ebay ad... 
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/POWER-STEERING-BOX-PRESSURE-VALVE-70-74-CUDA-67-76-CHARGER-GTX-DART-DUSTER-MOPAR-/382586493097?hash=item5913ee98a9
You can see it's a pretty simple piece....

After cleaning & demurring if needed reinstall the valve & it'll need to be adjusted to center the wheel... The adjustment is made by sliding the valve body on the steering gear....  Slightly loosen the bolts & tap the valve front to back till the wheel is centered...  then torque the bolts...

The wheels need to be off the ground, engine running, full of fluid... As you bump the valve you'll notice the wheel turns, bump it to aggressively & the wheel will slam the opposite lock.... once you get it close shut the engine off let it sit for 15-20 seconds then restart while watching the wheel.... It shouldn't move... If it momentarily kicks slightly your adjustment is close but still not right....  Keep playing till it's right then lock the two bolts down & go have fun...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...