Author Topic: Mallory coil w stock electronic ign  (Read 309 times)

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
Mallory coil w stock electronic ign
« on: June 27, 2020 - 02:35:38 PM »
Hiya,

Lately Ive been focusing on ignition tuning on my 72 and slid down the ignition options rabbit hole. I currently run a stock orange box, with ballast, and a stock cylindrical coil that seems to be getting a bit tired. Id like a coil upgrade. Id originally intended on swapping in an e-core coil, but then discovered the old-school Mallory coils.

Can I just replace my cylindrical coil with the Mallory?
Does the model matter? Im thinking model 21950 or similar.
And will this result in a hotter spark? Id like to open up the plug gaps a bit.

Or am I off base and should just switch to e-core type?  :clueless:

Any anecdotal experience anyone has here is appreciated as well.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Mallory coil w stock electronic ign
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020 - 12:14:09 AM »
Yes you can replace your coil with a Mallory, MSD, etc, plug and play. As to giving you hotter spark, that is the advertisement but I cannot say it actually delivers. You need to look at your ignition as a system; wiring to the coil, the coil, distributor cap, rotor, distributor, wires and spark plugs. Your objective is to develop a system that has the least about of resistance and provides the cleanest more consistent spark.

Just replacing one thing such as the coil might give you some improvement, but it will probably be short lived because the worn parts will only wear quicker. You really need to build a system all at one time and then monitor all those parts for wear and inefficiency.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline thesado

• 1972 Barracuda 318 GY4
Re: Mallory coil w stock electronic ign
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020 - 03:34:32 PM »
Thanks for confirming that its plug and play. I wasnt sure if I needed to still run the ballast or not.
Im glad you also mentioned to view it as a system. Good perspective.