Author Topic: Two 70s checking in  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Relic

Two 70s checking in
« on: April 08, 2009 - 03:09:40 pm »
Hey guys/gals, its Finn from dodgecharger.com

For those that haven't seen/heard, these are the 2 1970 challengers I picked up a couple weeks ago. After all the help I've received for my 68 charger on DC I know you guys are going to teach me a lot about these new projects. A bit of back story:
I was on lunch break from work when I spotted what I thought was an old mopar of some sort way back in the bushes. Naturally I flipped around and proceeded to drive back and forth along this road about eight times to confirm. Yes it was indeed a challenger although I couldn't tell the year. Anyway, I came back the next day with my video camera since it has the zoom and snapped a pic:

Once I uploaded it to the computer I saw the second challenger next to it. If you look close you can see the windshield frame and the R/T hood. At this point I knew I had to check it out. Next day I found what I guessed to be the house that owned lot they were on and knocked on the door. Asked if he owned the challengers sitting back there, he said no but he's keeping them for a friend that wants to sell them. Told me to go take a look and gave me the owners number. Also mentioned that one of them was in a movie but he couldn't remember the name of it. I walked through this long dirt/mud section, crossed a narrow bridge over a creek, kept walking, then pretty much shat bricks.
I saw they were both 1970s and they were both in much better condition then I expected. Next day I called the owner, he said he already had an offer of 10,000 for both of them. He was meeting with the guy today for lunch but if he didnt have the money they were both mine for 8500.
It was pretty much one of the longest days of my life.
He called back at 4:30 pm and said they were mine, get them out of there this weekend. :crazy:

Ive been pretty busy with work so I havent had a chance to take more photos. These are from when we moved them...which took 16 hours I might add.

They're both ridiculously solid. The RT was in the move Natural Born Killer and yes the top is cut off. The engine was rebuilt recently and Im working on getting it started right now.
Last pic is of when it was being prepped for the movie.
The interior is all there on both but the coupe needs work whereas the RT needs cleaning. Also, there is SE stuff all over the RT's interior but Im not sure how to check this with the vin? *fender tags are missing but vins match body stampings*

Vin numbers:
Hardtop: JH23L0Bl86803

"Convertible": JS29N0El08805

I imcdb'd it and found this picture of the RT back in the day:

Im keeping them at a friend's house for now so I havent had a chance to get more detailed photos of them.
Im going to finish up my charger first, then the R/T, then the coupe.
Here are some recent pics of the charger for those that are interested:

Multi point fuel injection, 440/727, 3.23 sure grip, AirRide suspension...its my life/black hole in my wallet.
The challengers Id like to build for my parents as a kind of thank you for putting up with the mess the charger has created haha but we shall see.
*Sorry for the long winded intro*
Finn from dodgecharger.com

Offline burnt orange

Re: Two 70s checking in
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009 - 03:21:35 pm »
  :woohoo:  What a deal.....congrats! :wow:
< ) ) >< 

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009 - 03:28:45 pm »
Welcome aboard....    :wave:   My apologies for the delay in getting your account set up.    :misbehaving:   Enjoy your stay here....     :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009 - 03:32:33 pm »
 :faint:
You Stole them cars. Good job. And to have a movie car to boot.  :clapping:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009 - 03:33:50 pm »
Glad to see you made it here :cheers:
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009 - 04:18:52 pm »
Thanks guys!
I heard it was a really crap movie but Id still like to see it just for fun haha.
The coupe is probably going to be a vanishing point clone of sorts. I always liked how much of a rugged "sleeper" it was and my dad doesn't really care about appearance as long as there is a wild motor under the hood.
My mom loves the R/T as a convertible so if I can find a way to make that work I will. She's saying panther pink but it was an original sublime car (the coupe looks to be plum crazy) so we'll see.

Has anyone heard about taking a cut challenger and making it a convertible? Also, what were the structural differences between the two?

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009 - 04:57:48 pm »
welcome,
that was a great deal  :wow:   have fun with them both  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009 - 05:14:00 pm »
Congrats on your great deal, and welcome. :2thumbs:
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009 - 05:32:43 pm »
Holy crap. what a find! i cant believe you have the Natural Born Killers car.  :faint:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009 - 05:42:16 pm »
Nice find.  Welcome to the site.   :2thumbs:

I see CA plates and that looks very SoCal in the photos.  Are you in California?
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009 - 05:55:20 pm »
Good eye! Yes I am, Six Flags Magic Mountain area (more people know that then the town).

Offline usraptr

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009 - 06:41:07 pm »
  :2thumbs:  Welcome and what a great find/steal!!! :woohoo:  I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on them as well as the Charger.  Charger is coming along nicely.  Keep us posted on the progress!!  I know exactly where Magic Mountain is.  I lived in Simi Valley for 30 years before my move to Utah. 
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline longgone

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009 - 06:49:33 pm »
I'm not allowed to speak to you... My inner feelings of jealousy are keeping me from allowing myself... What a friggin deal...
Blueglow

Offline Relic

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009 - 07:00:44 pm »
  :2thumbs:  Welcome and what a great find/steal!!! :woohoo:  I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on them as well as the Charger.  Charger is coming along nicely.  Keep us posted on the progress!!  I know exactly where Magic Mountain is.  I lived in Simi Valley for 30 years before my move to Utah.
Very cool! How do you like Utah compared to here?
The challengers were actually just off the first exit you would pass on the 5 coming from Simi. Going south, you could probably pull off on the shoulder and see them down below.

I'm not allowed to speak to you... My inner feelings of jealousy are keeping me from allowing myself... What a friggin deal...
Blueglow
:smilielol:

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009 - 07:58:47 pm »
Forgot to mention, the RT also has the 6 way seats. I thought that was pretty cool.