Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: AAR Cuda worth??  (Read 5103 times)

Offline XP29F67

AAR Cuda worth??
« on: June 20, 2004 - 04:00:48 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm a Charger guy with 3 fastbacks and one R/T. Today I met a friend with a '68 Hemi Charger, and he told me about an AAR Cuda he has that he would be willing to sell cheap. So I went back to his place to take a look at it, here are some specifics...

straight for the most part, needs a little body work
no engine or trans
has non-AAR hood
no grille
no AAR spoiler
no exhaust
looks like it has been off the road for a LONG time

He had it pretty well covered, but I managed to peek inside, and it had no dash, no seats, hole in the floor pans, and I believe he said the trunk was rusted as well.

He also said there were no fender tags (as you know, the AAR and T/A cars should have two). And that the VIN had been taken off and lost, but he did have a title, and that someone had made their own VIN plate and stamped the VIN into it (incorrectly, with a B523JOB... instead of BS23JOB...) and applied it to the door jamb, which I noted.

So three questions....

1) IF the car was a real AAR, which I believe it probably is, what is it worth in it's condition? The guy has no reason to trick me, he is a friend of mine.

2) If he was mislead that it was an AAR, then how would one go about finding that out. Are there numbers on the radiator support that can prove or disprove anything? Did any of the 1970 build documents from Chrysler historical survive the warehouse
fire way back when? It would be a shame to have an AAR and not know it's original paint colors or options.

3) If I did buy it, what is the cost of the parts that I would be looking at?

THANKS!!

Cuda-Challenger.com

AAR Cuda worth??
« on: June 20, 2004 - 04:00:48 AM »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: AAR Cuda worth??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 - 05:24:40 AM »
Welcome aboard :D
  I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but since you asked...

1) - Believe it or not, IF it is a real AAR, then I'll bet 4 to 5,000. I'm just going by what I see going on on E-Bay.

2) - I believe all documents Chrysler had, have been lost. Anything that I know of that could help you has been removed from your car :P It makes me wonder if someone didn't take all the AAR parts and try to pass off another Cuda as being a real AAR.

3) - If you did buy it, would you be looking to build a regular Cuda, or an AAR? There would be a huge difference in price if you are searching for genuine AAR stuff.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2013 SXT+++++++++++

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004 - 05:49:15 AM »
Welcome !

Here's my take on it.  IF it's a real AAR, is there anything left on the car that proves it's an AAR?  Replaced VIN, no fender tag, no dash ( hence no VIN there either ).  I'd say it'd be hard to value it as an AAR.  I know you have the title, but what ties the title to this car?  Not trying to be negative, just concerned that there is not enough to verify that the car is an AAR ( even though it may well be ).

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004 - 06:25:31 AM »
How do you plan on registering it with no vin#?You would probably need to have the DMV put on a replacement vin and with nothing to verify it as an AAR I don`t think it would be worth it.If the paint and stripes are original you could document that but not much else.It`s too bad but it`s really only a parts car at this piont.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Global Moderator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004 - 01:36:47 PM »
I would look for the boxed rear suspension mounts & the exhaust hangars by the front suspension mounts
 Basically no idocumentation for the 70 E bodies exists & the body is worth very liitle with no tags 

lemonboy69

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004 - 02:02:59 PM »

And here lies a very controversial issue... rebodied cars.... ::) ::) See the latest Mopar Collector's Guide for clarification!!

LB

Offline XP29F67

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004 - 05:35:10 PM »
Thanks guys,

If I had the car, the only way to do it would be back to it's AAR status if I could.

As far as having a real VIN tag, I would have to have the WSP (wash state patrol) inspect the vehicle to certify its authenticity, and they would issue a VIN.

The boxed suspension sounds like a good check, but the VIN wouldn't be stamped on any other part of the car than the tag on the dash? Just so I would know its authenticity before the cops do?

Offline XP29F67

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004 - 05:43:00 PM »
On another note, I saw another AAR Cuda yesterday (this one was all restored) before I heard about the one for sale.

It also had a BS23JOB.... vin.

But I thought the AAR VIN started BH23JOB....
and the Challenger T/A VIN started JH23JOB....
or is it JS23JOB....?

Or could they have one or the other, making the cars either be in the high price range or the special price range?

Or maybe the AARs were all BS23 cars, making them all 'Cudas, but the Challengers were all JH23 cars, so they would all be T/As and not R/Ts like the JS23 cars.

Anyone follow me?

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004 - 06:07:39 PM »
All the AAR's were BS23J0B, all the Challenger T/A cars were JH23J0B.

The Partial VIN#'s will be on the cow and rad support but will start with the 6th digit.

It aint worth squat without the tags and documentation. Like Chryco said, look for the boxed front spring hangers like all converts, 440 and hemi cars had as well as brackets for the side exhaust by the front of the spring hangers. These will be clues as to what it was but without documentation it's a parts car at best.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516
1972 Swinger 383 *sold*
2007 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins 6spd auto 4X4
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2009 Sea Ray 205 Sport 5.0L 260hp

Offline XP29F67

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004 - 06:16:41 PM »
Pardon me, I know where the radiator support is, but what is the "cow" or cowel?
 :-[ ???

By the way, HI Neil! This is Jon in Spokane.

Offline Transamcuda.com

• "Drive it like ya stole it"
    • Transamcuda.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004 - 07:46:35 PM »
Hello XP29F67!!!   I have over 900 AAR's on my registry and I also have the old S.I.A.C. (Special Interest Auto Club) Applications so I might be able to help with prior information on the car. Looks like the good people here have already told you where to look and what to look for.  Also to check and make sure its not a clone is to look right in front of the rear wheel well underneath where the tip hangers are. make sure there are holes drilled into the rocker/wheel house area where the tips are mounted. a dead give away is if the tip hangers are welded on I think the bolt size for the tip hangers is about a 1/4-20 Not sure off the top of my head. The numbers on the cowl area and the rad support should match. Contact me with the full vin and I will look and see if I have it on file to help you out.  ;D   Jeff

transamcuda@comcast.net
Dont forget to register your AAR at the AAR Registry only at www.transamcuda.com Over 1350 AAR's on file. Also info on 70 thru 74 E-Bodies. Ask me about yours!!

Offline MAXcuda

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004 - 08:11:01 PM »
I believe that AARs also had the antenna on the passenger quarter panel instead of the pass.  fender like the rest of barracudas/ cudas.  You could look for that.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004 - 09:58:13 PM »
Pardon me, I know where the radiator support is, but what is the "cow" or cowel?
 :-[ ???

By the way, HI Neil! This is Jon in Spokane.

The cowl numbers are beside the drivers side screen covering the wiper linkage opening in the cowl.
Should be viewable standing beside the fender.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516
1972 Swinger 383 *sold*
2007 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins 6spd auto 4X4
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2009 Sea Ray 205 Sport 5.0L 260hp

Offline Transamcuda.com

• "Drive it like ya stole it"
    • Transamcuda.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004 - 10:58:56 PM »
But I thought the AAR VIN started BH23JOB....
and the Challenger T/A VIN started JH23JOB....
or is it JS23JOB....?

Only cars that have BS23HOB and JH23HOB were the pilot versions of both cars. I am not sure where on the T/A pilot car it has JH23HOB but on the one AAR pilot car I know of it is on the fender tag but not on the window sticker or on the vin dash tag. This is common on most pilot cars to find numbers out of place or incorrect. But all AAR's and T/A's after the pilot cars start out BS23J0B and JH23J0B AAR's and T/A's are special enough just because of the low production numbers they made of each and how many we know exist today. One thing people do is try and specialize their AAR or T/A into a one of one catagory to put it in a higher price bracket. Thats ok to try and break your cars options down but they are a rare car to begin with so why try and put it in a one of one catagory.  Some of the rarer cars are ones of a particular color. EB7 in an AAR is rare sunroof T/A's are rare. It all depends on how the car was optioned from the factory.
Dont forget to register your AAR at the AAR Registry only at www.transamcuda.com Over 1350 AAR's on file. Also info on 70 thru 74 E-Bodies. Ask me about yours!!

Offline XP29F67

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004 - 03:48:26 AM »
Can anyone get me a picture of what boxed suspension mounts look like versus non boxed?

I would like to go check the car out again and get the VIN to try and verify it's authenticity.

Cuda-Challenger.com

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004 - 03:48:26 AM »