Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Headers  (Read 1253 times)

Offline RobsCountach

• I'm a llama!
Headers
« on: May 01, 2004 - 05:26:52 PM »
Hi,
Is there a reason why folks don't use headers on these cars ?  I just don't see many folks with them, nor can I find many mfgs that make them ?  (maybe hooker I guess)

If you install them or change out the cam, what is the best way to best decide the 'jet' size in the carb ? Dyno's are good, but if too lean, you'll burn a valve...

Thx,
Rob

Cuda-Challenger.com

Headers
« on: May 01, 2004 - 05:26:52 PM »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re:Headers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004 - 06:46:38 PM »
Rob,
  For your first question, headers are available from a few manufacturers. Headman and TTI, are two of them. The only thing I can say is they are a real pain to put on, so that may explain why you haven't seen many. For your second question, I'm really not sure :-[. Don't service places have some type of analyzer for the exhaust to tell you if it's rich or lean?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2013 SXT+++++++++++

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004 - 07:29:57 PM »
I run headers on my Cuda and love them. They are a real pain to install though. I had to unbolt the engine mounts and disconect a few things to jack up the engine on the left side.One set went in from the top and the other from the under side. Had to run the stearing linkage through the left side headers to make it work ::) Had them ceramic coated and as well. It does make an increase in H.P. over stock manifolds. If the cars is a #s car i would leave on the stock manifolds on  but if not do what u want :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004 - 10:11:14 PM »
can't answer you questions RC...but cuda....man that sure is purdy underthere  :o ;D
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Global Moderator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004 - 12:50:59 AM »
TTI are definatly the best fit , Thorleys are supposed to be good too , they will be tough to install
 Jetting can be determined by plug color , you need to cruise @ steady high way speed for 10 mins or so then pull a plug the color should be light tan - orange if ti is darker go smaller & larger if lighter

Offline KellysCuda

• still working on it
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004 - 07:33:33 AM »
I am doin an engine swap from a 1974 318 car to a 440 I got my motor mounts from schumacher,s in seattle  and with the motor mounts came an advertisement for headers,they are called hi flow tri y underchassis headers with 2.5 inch collectors ...good to 550hp or so they say...they arent cheap 500 bucks,but they clam to fit and install with the engine in and clear the power steering and clear all the spark plugs
http://www.engine-swaps.com/ is where i found them... ;D
Kelly

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Global Moderator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004 - 09:49:17 PM »
The Schumaker headers are decent but make less power than a true header but it will out perform the iron exhaust manifolds
 Personally I would spend the same $ & buy the TTI headers , they are top quailty materials & fit  

Offline KellysCuda

• still working on it
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004 - 06:57:07 AM »
The tti headers will clear everything?...I will have to have a look...with some old parts I just bought came some casler headers with the paper work that says they will bolt in a E body but I havent got that far in my swap yew to see if they will fit
Kelly

Cuda-Challenger.com

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004 - 06:57:07 AM »