Author Topic: Hi to all, very good site, i'm new and very excited to be here.  (Read 2432 times)

Offline kars440

Hi to all, very good site, i'm new and very excited to be here.
« on: February 21, 2008 - 06:35:00 PM »
hi, i'm Karsten from northern Alberta Canada. i have a 1974 challenger, have owned her for 5 yrs now all stripped down trying to get her done. She had a 360 but replacing it with a 440, 1 of my many ?s is what do you guys and gals think about the mopar purple cam 292  509 lift hydraulic, is that to big for street use and highway cruising. Have 727 and 355 gears, i really want the lopey idle, i also have edelbrock rpm intake and edelbrock rpm heads. still need carb and hedders, compression will be about 10.5 to 11. Does all this sound like a good choice for a rebuild.  All replys will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Karsten.

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
Re: Hi to all, very good site, i'm new and very excited to be here.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:49:14 PM »
Another Albertan.. :2thumbs:..you should be able to go to a bigger cam than that, I think the eddie heads will take a .600 lift without machine work. That is what I have also, but with a lunati cam.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:50:53 PM »
Welcome to the site!!  Love to see pics of your project!!  Enjoy!   :wave:   :wave:   :wave:

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:51:30 PM »
Welcome to the site Karsten, I'm sure you'll get your engine question answered soon.  

:useless:

Tom :bigsmile:

Edited: See, before I finished typing. :chatting:  And now another one. :crazy:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:15:32 PM »
Welcome to C-C.c it's a great site. Got any pics of you car?
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Online GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:23:29 PM »
Welcome! pics?
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:31:32 PM »
Welcome :wave: :useless:

You may want to hang onto that 360 if it is original to the car. Kinda rare ebody

Offline gkring

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:37:56 PM »
I loved the 509 solid lift in my 499 in one of my old cars. It was also fuel injected so it tamed the idle, but still had a very pronounced thump to it. I would bet the hydraulic will be great, especially since it sounds like you want the sound more than every ounce of performance.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline kars440

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008 - 08:06:01 PM »
Another Albertan.. :2thumbs:..you should be able to go to a bigger cam than that, I think the eddie heads will take a .600 lift without machine work. That is what I have also, but with a lunati cam.
I'm not sure if i'm doing this right, anyways your right about the .600 lift but i got a good deal on this cam so i bought it. i will be posting pics soon, not much to see yet all tore down everything removed. I have new bumpers, headliner, spoiler and lots of small parts but still need lots more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Offline kars440

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:15:18 PM »
I loved the 509 solid lift in my 499 in one of my old cars. It was also fuel injected so it tamed the idle, but still had a very pronounced thump to it. I would bet the hydraulic will be great, especially since it sounds like you want the sound more than every ounce of performance.
Your right i do want the the idle but still want some performance.

Offline kars440

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:17:22 PM »
Hey Kelly your cuda looks sweet

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:29:03 PM »
Lunati will grind you a cam to your gear, carb etc. Are you cruising alot with your car as the compression is a little high for crusing, but right for racin' :2thumbs:

Offline kvollmer

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:40:43 PM »
Hey Karsten!  This is an official welcome from another fellow Canadian, and yesterday's newbie!! LOL  Guess I'm starting to move up the newbie ladder.  :)

Would love to see some pics of your car as you put it back together.  Just an FYI  ........ We ordered a brand new 74 Challenger, in 1974 - cost us $3,800.  I know, I know ........... CRAZY eh?  Now it costs $3000 - $4,000 just to get your bumpers and mirrors re-chromed!!  ahahahaha  Sadly we had that Challenger for only 6 months - a fellow was turning his car around on the highway one night.  He stalled it crossways on the road - he turned out the lights to start it up.  Did I mention this was in the fog?????  Extreme fog.  Yep, we T-Boned him.  Totalled off our 74 Challenger AND his 73 Cuda.  Ouch!!  It wasn't pretty.

Enjoy the site and your project.         K

Offline kars440

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:56:30 PM »
Hey Karsten!  This is an official welcome from another fellow Canadian, and yesterday's newbie!! LOL  Guess I'm starting to move up the newbie ladder.  :)

Would love to see some pics of your car as you put it back together.  Just an FYI  ........ We ordered a brand new 74 Challenger, in 1974 - cost us $3,800.  I know, I know ........... CRAZY eh?  Now it costs $3000 - $4,000 just to get your bumpers and mirrors re-chromed!!  ahahahaha  Sadly we had that Challenger for only 6 months - a fellow was turning his car around on the highway one night.  He stalled it crossways on the road - he turned out the lights to start it up.  Did I mention this was in the fog?????  Extreme fog.  Yep, we T-Boned him.  Totalled off our 74 Challenger AND his 73 Cuda.  Ouch!!  It wasn't pretty.

Enjoy the site and your project.         K

thanks for the welcome you newbie lol. Sorry to hear about your Challenger, My car has a 360 auto, leather seats, air. I will post pics soon, as soon as i can get to the garage we have 3 ft of snow right now. Can't wait for spring to get back at it. Your car looks real nice.  Talk you later Karsten.   

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008 - 02:04:47 AM »
Welcome to the site and sounds like you have a great idea already of what you are looking for but may have to tell us what you are planing for the car as far as driving or racing or a little of both.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4