Author Topic: What might this be?  (Read 178 times)

Offline mrwfp

What might this be?
« on: October 23, 2019 - 05:22:19 pm »
Any idea what this is?  I was removing the Z-bar and clutch rod from the driver's side of my 1970 'Cuda.  As I removed the large nut from the fender side of the Z-bar, the washer fell off onto the frame rail.  As I felt for the washer, I knocked this off the inner frame rail onto the floor.  I don't know where it came from as the center hole is too small to fit the Z-bar bolt.  And I don't know if it came off today or has been sitting in the frame rail for a while.   It is 1 3/8 inches in diameter, 1/8 inch thick.  One side is flat like a washer, the other side is convex (slightly domed). It has a 3/8 inch center hole that is squared off on one end.  It is too small to be the adjuster for the upper control arms.  Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019 - 06:58:12 pm by mrwfp »

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: What might this be?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019 - 11:11:26 pm »
Looks like it may be a front shock absorber washer that goes inboard into the engine compartment and if someone was changing front shocks, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine them possibly dropping the old one onto the frame rail when changing shocks. Just my  :2cents:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019 - 09:52:00 am »
That's a pretty good guess!    :2thumbs:

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019 - 04:34:34 pm »
Thank you.  I think you are probably correct.  I did change out the shocks back in 2016 and that item (a metal bushing) probably fell off when the old shock came off. The new shocks had new bushings.  Nice to know that it is not anything critical.