Author Topic: 522 stroker overheating  (Read 873 times)

Offline Kevin71

Re: 522 stroker overheating
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019 - 09:31:43 am »
I am so fed up.  Engine builder just wanted to scrape the rust out and pressure wash this block.  You look down the jackets and see a lot of corroision.  Engine builder didn't prep the block in my mind if it has this much rust in it.  He sure as hell didn't look in the water jackets because you can't miss it.  So that tells me a got a engine builder that is not through.  Even if I get another block I don't trust him.  Get another old block and start over hopping no major rust.  A brand new block 2-3 months to get at 5k.  No one stocks crate motors.  3-6 months to get one, same thing with a short block.  And who is going to build it.  I live in Panama City Beach,Fl.  Can anyone recommend a engine builder in my area.   suggestions???   I am thinking of just buying a 392 hemi and putting in it.  I am afraid of what else the engine builder is overlooking.  I am 65 and have been trying to get this car going for 12 years.  Have heart failure and going south at a pretty good clip.  Lost 50% function in my heart while on medication over 6 months and they don't have a clue.  My wife is having a fit because she wants me to be able drive the car.  I might not be able to drive it in a year.  I am frustrated beyond belief.  Such is life I guess. 

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019 - 11:57:35 am »
Not to minimize this issue in any way but I do believe you are more upset than you need to be about the rust issue in the block. All your mechanic has to do is thoroughly flush it and you should be good. You are not going to get every little piece out and to be honest you do not really need to; you need to flush it until it runs clear, then reassemble everything, fill it with some anti freeze and assuming the rest of the cooling system is adequate be good to go.

If on the off chance that your block is completely clogged with sediment, then it would need to be pulled, the freeze plugs knocked out and the sediment manually knocked loose and flushed, but I have to be honest and say that I seriously doubt you are in this situation. I have picked up cars that have sat out in a field for 20+ years that I flushed and was good.

If you go the 392 route, its going to bring another level of pain to you because you have to make it fit, then install all the wiring (computer, harness, etc). If your mechanic cannot do a rebuild correctly he damn sure is going to have issues here. If a new engine is something you want to pursue, well I would recommend you contact Indy or Hughes and get one of their crate motors; then your mechanic just has to hook it up. You could then sell off the engine you already have to recoup some of the money.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2019 - 12:25:23 pm »
Freeze plugs were knocked out and you can stick your finger it's muddy silt with rust mixed in.  When the shop put the motor in it was overheating.  Shop has flushed the system twice and still all the stuff left in there.  If the engine builder is this lax how can you possibly have faith that everything is correct.  He says he dipped in his tank a pressure washed it.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019 - 02:41:14 pm »
I would agree to a point, but engine building is not rocket science and perhaps he "thought" this was good and moved on. If the engine ran good (other than the overheating issue) I do not think I would kick it to the curb. I think (respectively) that you are letting your imagination get the best of you. You are equating this overheating slit/crap in the water passages as a sign he doesn't know his craft. Sure, this could absolutely be the case, but again if it ran good, then I would say this is not that big of a deal. If he is worth anything he will take responsibility for this and try and make it right.

Look, I don't know this guy from a bar of soap and I am definitely not an optimist, however I would also say that if this shop has been in business any length of time they should have a handle on what they are doing. Understand that tossing this motor and going to a new crate motor may seem appealing but given that you are not able to do the actual install, you are condemning the car to sit for even more time because installing a new G3 Hemi is not just a "stick and go", there are secondary effects that will have to be dealt with and not something you want a shop that is not familiar with it to learn on your dime.

Another option you should consider since money does not seem to be a huge factor is sending the car off to a Mopar specific company to get sorted. Have you looked at these guys

http://www.americanmuscleperformance.net/ (they are in FL)
https://www.shophemi.com/ (they are in MI)
https://www.pettys-garage.com/powerbypetty (in NC)

There are many more but you get the idea. If you go with someone who has experience with Mopar's you will get the piece of mind you are looking for (but it will not be cheap).
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019 - 10:00:03 pm »
I'd just flush out the silt. Should not be that big of deal.
My Stage VI Mopar heads have a view port at the end what you can
inspect the water channels, I think.

I don't think that silt is causing your over heating problem.
Wonder if they used the correct head gaskets?
Try a new Milodon water pump, and new housing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019 - 05:09:52 pm by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2019 - 10:02:33 pm »
I am so fed up.  Engine builder just wanted to scrape the rust out and pressure wash this block.  You look down the jackets and see a lot of corroision.  Engine builder didn't prep the block in my mind if it has this much rust in it.  He sure as hell didn't look in the water jackets because you can't miss it.  So that tells me a got a engine builder that is not through.  Even if I get another block I don't trust him.  Get another old block and start over hopping no major rust.  A brand new block 2-3 months to get at 5k.  No one stocks crate motors.  3-6 months to get one, same thing with a short block.  And who is going to build it.  I live in Panama City Beach,Fl.  Can anyone recommend a engine builder in my area.   suggestions???   I am thinking of just buying a 392 hemi and putting in it.  I am afraid of what else the engine builder is overlooking.  I am 65 and have been trying to get this car going for 12 years.  Have heart failure and going south at a pretty good clip.  Lost 50% function in my heart while on medication over 6 months and they don't have a clue.  My wife is having a fit because she wants me to be able drive the car.  I might not be able to drive it in a year.  I am frustrated beyond belief.  Such is life I guess.
Lotta corrosion, put in some coolant flush and flush it out. PUt in new coolant, should be
ready to go. The coolant stops most all corrosion.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019 - 10:04:37 pm »
I'd at least inspect the coolant pump. Could be screwed up
a number of different ways.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2019 - 10:11:24 am »
I have acquired another block and have a different engine builder.  Original engine builder has decided to retire and turn the shop over to his son.  Will see how it turns out. 

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2019 - 10:12:38 am »
Good luck Kevin...... :cheers:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2019 - 10:13:57 pm »
Agree, good luck.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars