Author Topic: FITech with FBO HRR688  (Read 107 times)

Offline dsburch

• Twice, slowly.
FITech with FBO HRR688
« on: December 30, 2018 - 12:37:49 pm »
 :wave: Just to report in on a popular topic, I went FiTech and started the engine today.  Took a little over a day to detail the install, and feel satisfied that the bundling and such was laid in OK.  All those added wires will turn some folks off, but I am running a pretty stock look, so no big deal for me. Anyway. I have been running the FBO HRR688 ECU with Rev limiter for some time, with the recommend 12V Flamethrower coil and a jumper across the four-pole resistor.  The distributor is stock Mopar electronic (practically new) and runs fine with the full 12V. I bought the FiTech unit that can perform timing control, and despite all the dorking I've read about, I think the FBO setup at full 12V should run fine IF I ever decide to run timing control.  Timing is dialed in so well right now, I'll leave it alone. When I was contemplating the install, I looked at the resistor and decided to apply the FiTech ignition (white) wire to the resistor jumper wire, and soldered it on there.  Sure enough, works fine so far.  I have only fired it off in the garage  and run some idling and revving so far, because it is a cold rainy day (rain- eek!), but tomorrow looks to be clear and in the 60s, so I'll look forward to some "learning" time.  One minor complaint about the FiTech, there's just not much tuning guidance.  They give you a quick start guide, but nothing beyond that, and there are lots of settings which can be tweaked.  So, I'll have to pick things up from their web site and the forums.  So far, so good, though. 

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: FITech with FBO HRR688
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018 - 09:51:07 pm »
Sounds good! I've installed a FiTech for my father-in-law and am fairly experienced with it. Post up with questions or concerns and I may be able to get you in the right direction.

The online facebook FiTech groups can be helpful and also have many "pinned posts" full of information.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019 - 01:53:25 pm »
I have installed a Fitech system on my 52 dodge PU, a FAST system on my Cuda and a Holley system on my Challenger. I will try to help where I can as well. For me the Fitech system was very straightforward and has worked well. I cannot say I have a lot of miles on it but I can say they it got better every time I drove it.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline dsburch

• Twice, slowly.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019 - 09:08:13 pm »
Thanks much guys... I'm pretty good so far....  Like the old adage says, "fill your library before you fill your garage", I read all their posted manuals and a lot on the forums before purchasing.  I literally read every review posted on Summit's product page.  I understood it well enough that the day I installed it, I didn't have to read a single instruction.  Pretty impressed with the overall system, but I think they do need some help on the documentation and guidance side.  It must be costing them a fortune in support calls, when some thought and some organization for all that info would help customers and them.  But, enough complaint.  I got the system working pretty well, and day-um it runs smooth and pulls like crazy.  I've seen plenty of comments about throttle response, but I had no idea it was this crisp.  I now need to fine tune the pump, after start, and warm-up cycles just a little.  I'm getting low IACs when the temp gets to the 130s, and its now well behaved for return to idle.  Tailpipes have turned very clean, and the smell is much improved.  I have very little driving time on it, the weather is looking bad, the weekends are booked with relatives, and it will be awhile 'till more quality time.  Thanks again, I really appreciate it, and I'll report back later.     

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019 - 11:42:04 pm »
Sounds like you got it under control, enjoy it and welcome to the 21st century  :bigsmile:
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019 - 06:49:37 am »
Thanks much guys... I'm pretty good so far....  Like the old adage says, "fill your library before you fill your garage", I read all their posted manuals and a lot on the forums before purchasing.  I literally read every review posted on Summit's product page.  I understood it well enough that the day I installed it, I didn't have to read a single instruction.  Pretty impressed with the overall system, but I think they do need some help on the documentation and guidance side.  It must be costing them a fortune in support calls, when some thought and some organization for all that info would help customers and them.  But, enough complaint.  I got the system working pretty well, and day-um it runs smooth and pulls like crazy.  I've seen plenty of comments about throttle response, but I had no idea it was this crisp.  I now need to fine tune the pump, after start, and warm-up cycles just a little.  I'm getting low IACs when the temp gets to the 130s, and its now well behaved for return to idle.  Tailpipes have turned very clean, and the smell is much improved.  I have very little driving time on it, the weather is looking bad, the weekends are booked with relatives, and it will be awhile 'till more quality time.  Thanks again, I really appreciate it, and I'll report back later.     

Sounds like our experience. I expect most people that love their carburetors either just like the nostalgia, or have no idea what they're missing out on. I'm going to Holley Sniper EFI my Warlock as soon as I can.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link