Author Topic: Last time I buy Edelbrock Intakes Beware !!  (Read 186 times)

Offline Pentastar Pete

Last time I buy Edelbrock Intakes Beware !!
« on: December 07, 2018 - 04:27:57 pm »
Bought an I Edelbrock Intake for my 340. 1st I bought the Airgap only to find out the runners were too close to the bolt holes. The heads of their intake bolts were hitting the sides of the inner runners and would not go in straight. I called Edelbrock and sent them pics. They sent me a new intake. Same issue.  :banghead:
I then told them to send me a Performer intake 7176 because the replacement Airgap has the same problem. They told me they had casting issues.
Installed the intake now I find that the port for the heater hose is only 1/4 NPT. Call summit to get a 1/4 NPT x 5/8. They do not carry that size. I was told by Summit Tech Supp. to call Edelbrock Tech. ETS tells me they don't carry a 1/4 NPT fpr 5/8 heater hose. I reminded them this was their Intake !!
They told me to go to a plumbing supply or to try Home Depot.  Really ???
I have 2other Mopars with Mopar Performance Intake never had these issues.
Bottom Line  BEWARE !!  "Edelbrock Sucks".
74 Rallye Challenger
73 Rallye Challenger
68 Charger RT

Offline Beekeeper

Re: Last time I buy Edelbrock Intakes Beware !!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018 - 06:22:21 pm »
Bought an I Edelbrock Intake for my 340. 1st I bought the Airgap only to find out the runners were too close to the bolt holes. The heads of their intake bolts were hitting the sides of the inner runners and would not go in straight. I called Edelbrock and sent them pics. They sent me a new intake. Same issue.  :banghead:
I then told them to send me a Performer intake 7176 because the replacement Airgap has the same problem. They told me they had casting issues.
Installed the intake now I find that the port for the heater hose is only 1/4 NPT. Call summit to get a 1/4 NPT x 5/8. They do not carry that size. I was told by Summit Tech Supp. to call Edelbrock Tech. ETS tells me they don't carry a 1/4 NPT fpr 5/8 heater hose. I reminded them this was their Intake !!
They told me to go to a plumbing supply or to try Home Depot.  Really ???
I have 2other Mopars with Mopar Performance Intake never had these issues.
Bottom Line  BEWARE !!  "Edelbrock Sucks".

If you do keep the performer intake, it might be possible to drill out that hole and retap it to the correct larger size. I havent dealt with a small block Mopar intake of theirs but I ran into a similar issue on one of their Chevrolet intakes. In the end, to keep a clean look, I drilled out the small threaded hole and rethreaded it with a NPT tap of the correct size. Had to buy the tap because they have a lot more taper than a regular tap but in the end it came out nice.

But I get what youre saying, its BS that you even have to modify something that is new just to use it.

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018 - 06:29:53 pm »
I believe I ran into a similar issue with my SB 6 pack intake, but after some research discovered that they were all that size (1/4 NPT). If you look for hose fitting for a 340, you will see some advertised as for a TA/AAR only. Obviously they used Edelbrock intakes so it has to be a Edelbrock issue.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Pentastar Pete

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018 - 08:15:29 pm »
Originally I had an Edelbrock Torker on that car. The only reason I changed it it was a single plane.
That had a 3/8 NPT for the heater hose.

(But I get what youre saying, its BS that you even have to modify something that is new just to use it.)
Especially when you pay close to $350.00 I shouldn't have to re-tap something

Here's a good one: when I first called them and sent them pics of the Airgap, they told me to grind down the runners so the bolt heads would fit. What the Hell ???

Now I have to try and find this fitting
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018 - 08:23:06 pm by Pentastar Pete »
74 Rallye Challenger
73 Rallye Challenger
68 Charger RT

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018 - 09:48:43 pm »
Originally I had an Edelbrock Torker on that car. The only reason I changed it it was a single plane.
That had a 3/8 NPT for the heater hose.

(But I get what youre saying, its BS that you even have to modify something that is new just to use it.)
Especially when you pay close to $350.00 I shouldn't have to re-tap something

Here's a good one: when I first called them and sent them pics of the Airgap, they told me to grind down the runners so the bolt heads would fit. What the Hell ???

Now I have to try and find this fitting

Thats nuts them telling you to grind the runners. Who thinks like that?

Offline IRON MAN

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018 - 10:05:12 pm »
I recently installed an AirGap intake on my AMC 390 V8 using ARP bolts. The ARP bolts have a smaller head and had no clearance problems with the intake runners.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018 - 11:42:02 pm »
"hat�s nuts them telling you to grind the runners. Who thinks like that?"  You're right, but what other option is there? Iron Man has the answer, use a skinnier headed bolt. It's a PITA, but "when life gives you lemons....."   :cheers:

Offline Priesty

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018 - 11:44:28 pm »
How was bonnet clearance with the Air-gap small block setup ? Is it much taller than the torker ?
Thinking of same swap myself.
Steve - 72  BS23  FY1  'Cuda.
Melbourne, Australia.
---------------------------------
The term "Foolproof", seriously underestimates the ingenuity of fools.
CUDA Crop by steve, on Flickr

Offline Pentastar Pete

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018 - 01:03:41 pm »
I have a rallye hood, I had no problem with the clearance. I liked the Airgap, I heard a lot of positive reviews, but after the 2nd one I couldn't get the bolts in I said the hell with it.

I used the - Edelbrock Intake Manifold Bolt Kit #8579 for $27.00 and still could not get them past the runners, and I was not about to start grinding the runners on a brand new intake.
74 Rallye Challenger
73 Rallye Challenger
68 Charger RT