Author Topic: Starter not shutting off after motor starts  (Read 46 times)

Offline jmartin99

Starter not shutting off after motor starts
« on: December 06, 2018 - 12:17:16 pm »
I have been trying to get a friends 72 340 started and broke in.

When I start the engine, the starter does not turn off after the engine starts. Anyone run into this issue? I am thinking it could be a bad starter or possibly a bad/sticking ignition switch.

I talked the owner into replacing the current stock starter with a new high torque mini starter.

After I remove the current starter, I am going to use a meter to see if the power to the starter is turned off after the key is released from the start position. I am hoping it is the starter but fear it may be somewhere else.

Any ideas or pointers on what to look for?

Thanks!

Jeff  :pullinghair:

Online 70chall440

• Resident
Re: Starter not shutting off after motor starts
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018 - 12:45:47 pm »
Has the wiring been messed with? is it stock wiring? You can probably check this quickly but remote starting it at the starter relay (connecting the main battery terminal and the starter solenoid connection), if the starter continues to run then its probably the starter. I cannot say I have ever seen a Mopar starter continue to run after starting or at least I don't remember it. Not to say it cannot happen, just that it seems uncommon.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline jmartin99

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018 - 01:05:42 pm »
Yes it is stock wiring.

Offline jmartin99

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018 - 01:09:46 pm »
Now that I think of it, I am not positive the starter is still powered but the bendix definitely does not disengage from the flywheel. When the engine started, there was a horrible whine from the bendix still meshed with the flywheel until I turned the key to the off position and shut off the engine.

The wiring harness is stock but I believe I have to make new connections from the starter relay to the starter. Thats why I want to check the power at the starter end when I disconnect them to remove the current starter.

Jeff

Online 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018 - 01:14:29 pm »
Ok, well its possible the starter is too tight and getting held by the TQ or flywheel as the starter engages.

Basically when the key/ignition is in the "start" position (key all the way forward during starting) it is energizing the solenoid side to make the starter turn over. In order for this to be a wiring problem, that circuit would have to be getting shorted. That said, it is possible its a switch issue as well (if you rule out the starter).
Current Mopar
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018 - 10:34:59 pm »
Ok, well its possible the starter is too tight and getting held by the TQ or flywheel as the starter engages.

Basically when the key/ignition is in the "start" position (key all the way forward during starting) it is energizing the solenoid side to make the starter turn over. In order for this to be a wiring problem, that circuit would have to be getting shorted. That said, it is possible its a switch issue as well (if you rule out the starter).

I was thinking that as well but if it was too tight, could it be adjusted? I know GM starters bolt up differently allowing the use of shims to get the gear play just right.

I am wondering if the starter is functioning properly. You could bench test it to see if the gear retracts properly.

I like the idea of first starting it at the solenoid prior to removal. You need only have the key in the on position and manually connect the large post on the solenoid to the small starter post. If it worked right, then you could deduce that there is something wrong in the ignition switch.

Online 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018 - 10:55:37 pm »
Generally Mopar starters cannot be adjusted if using Mopar components (i.e. bell housing or Auto trans). That said, it is potentially possible that the starter nose is misshapen or incorrect. Thing is, we do not have any history on this engine/trans combo, did it ever work? Is this a new build? Are all the components Mopar or is something after market? Auto or Manual? etc.

There is a slight chance that the trans/bell housing is not properly aligned to the engine which would move the starter one direction or another.

I have heard that some aftermarket bell housings do not have the nose support and can create issues.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars