Author Topic: My 522 Build Experience  (Read 345 times)

Offline Tazinhawaii

My 522 Build Experience
« on: August 25, 2017 - 11:58:54 am »
So, I thought I would post my experience and results of my 522 build which finally came to life Saturday, August 12th at 0954.  It all started in the spring when I popped some lifters and bent some pushrods in my bone stock 440.  I decided it was time to do a heads/cam swap at that time and put on some Trick Flow heads and a new Lunati flat tappet cam.  I wiped the came BADLY upon breaking and upon full disassembly, found 6 of 8 top rings broken.  So first note for those looking at Trick Flow heads, the heads with the larger valve springs are apparently meant for roller cams only.  The ONLY place I found that was in the Summit catalog a few days ago.  Since I knew I now needed some machine shop work to clean the block of all the metal, I shopped around for a machine shop that could do a stroker kit as well.  I settled on Carolina Machine, which is a massively long story that I'm still fighting.  But that will be another thread.  That was May 6th and promised 3-5 weeks for the shortblock.  13 weeks later I finally received the shortblock.   Workmanship looked good, although I didn't take it apart to check everything.  I finished building the motor and put it back in the car.  Fired right up!  Sounded great (actually still sounds great).  Now for the surprising facts.  I was afraid the Lunati came (part #20230712LK, 282/290 duration and 535/550 lift and 110 LSA) would be too lopey and not have enough vacuum for the power brakes.  Boy was I wrong.  It pulls 21" vacuum at 800 RPM idle and idles smoother than the stock cam did.  The shaker doesn't shake anymore.  :( 

Current setup:
1970 440 block bored/stroked to 522
6 pack
Trick Flow aluminum 225 heads
1.6:1 roller rockers
Lunati 20230712LK roller cam
Double roller timing chain
MSD pro-billet dist and 6AL
Doug's 2" long tube headers and Magnaflow 2.5" dual exhaust
A518 auto trans

Some miscellaneous things I wish I knew before:

I also upgraded to MSD-6AL and pro-billet distributor.  Car fires up much quicker.  But be warned, the pro-billet distributor is MUCH taller and barely fits under the shaker.  The distributor also will need some type of clearancing to fit around the valve covers with the increased height of the Trick Flow Heads.  I shaved down the corner of the valve cover.

The Trick Flows heads are VERY impressive.  But the stock rockers or stock type rockers won't work.  I had to buy some Harlan Sharp 1.6 rockers made for these heads (also Edelbrock heads).  Not really that impressed with Harlan Sharp rockers after very bad experiences on my previous LS engine.  Still not impressed.

Heads studs don't work with either Dougs heads or TTi headers.  The studs under the exhaust ports won't allow the headers to mount.  I got around this by torquing the heads and grinding down the excess stud length.  Recommend just getting bolts instead of studs.

I put on a high flow oil pump and road race Milodon 7qt oil pan.  The pan fit well around everything and doesn't hang down any lower than stock.  But I don't think it would be easy to remove with the engine in the car.  Thanks to all on here as I almost didn't know the high volume pump requires the larger pan.

I had 66 jets in the center carb for the 440 and put 68's in while waiting for the shortbock thinking that was probably still not enough (but was the largest I had).  Well, long story short, I just put the 66's back in yesterday.  I was running about 11.8:1 AFR under part throttle with eh 68's in.  Still tuning, but I think the 66's will be right.

So, for the results:

I now have about 80 miles on the motor.  It is beyond a night an day difference.  It is now difficult not to light the tires up every time I just try to go normally.  I'm actually very concerned about twisting the body as this was originally a 318 car and I don't even have torque boxes.  Gonna look at subframe connectors I think unless there is something better out there.

Not a drop of any liquid (oil/trans fluid/coolant) under the car.  I most surprised about that actually!

When I think I can type more and not getting red in the face thinking about them, I'll do another thread to describe my experience with Carolina Machine.  I'm still waiting on the refunding my $1200 they overcharged me...

Derrick
1971 Cuda 440 six pack.  Original TX9 Black on Black.  Located in southern NH.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: My 522 Build Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017 - 06:15:59 pm »
I had to put in large welded subframe connectors to keep from twisting car in half.
Also put on a schumacher torque strap.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017 - 08:05:42 pm by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline cam440

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017 - 04:23:31 pm »
Sounds like a weapon got any pic of engine I'm pretty keen to see how the distributor looks with the shaker as I have a shaker as well on my cuda and need a distributor but yes clearance can be tight so I'm told(mines got a 340 in it atm gotta watch dizzy  height as well ) , any videos of it sounds a nice car , I hear got reports about trick flow heads a guy over here got a set man they are good gear hey , also with your dougs headers and the ride hight of your cuda are you happy got any pics , im building a 493 stroker that's all
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017 - 06:10:25 pm by cam440 »

Offline 734406pk

• Andy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017 - 10:44:48 pm »
So, I thought I would post my experience and results of my 522 build which finally came to life Saturday, August 12th at 0954.  It all started in the spring when I popped some lifters and bent some pushrods in my bone stock 440.  I decided it was time to do a heads/cam swap at that time and put on some Trick Flow heads and a new Lunati flat tappet cam.  I wiped the came BADLY upon breaking and upon full disassembly, found 6 of 8 top rings broken.  So first note for those looking at Trick Flow heads, the heads with the larger valve springs are apparently meant for roller cams only.  The ONLY place I found that was in the Summit catalog a few days ago.  Since I knew I now needed some machine shop work to clean the block of all the metal, I shopped around for a machine shop that could do a stroker kit as well.  I settled on Carolina Machine, which is a massively long story that I'm still fighting.  But that will be another thread.  That was May 6th and promised 3-5 weeks for the shortblock.  13 weeks later I finally received the shortblock.   Workmanship looked good, although I didn't take it apart to check everything.  I finished building the motor and put it back in the car.  Fired right up!  Sounded great (actually still sounds great).  Now for the surprising facts.  I was afraid the Lunati came (part #20230712LK, 282/290 duration and 535/550 lift and 110 LSA) would be too lopey and not have enough vacuum for the power brakes.  Boy was I wrong.  It pulls 21" vacuum at 800 RPM idle and idles smoother than the stock cam did.  The shaker doesn't shake anymore.  :( 

Current setup:
1970 440 block bored/stroked to 522
6 pack
Trick Flow aluminum 225 heads
1.6:1 roller rockers
Lunati 20230712LK roller cam
Double roller timing chain
MSD pro-billet dist and 6AL
Doug's 2" long tube headers and Magnaflow 2.5" dual exhaust
A518 auto trans

Some miscellaneous things I wish I knew before:

I also upgraded to MSD-6AL and pro-billet distributor.  Car fires up much quicker.  But be warned, the pro-billet distributor is MUCH taller and barely fits under the shaker.  The distributor also will need some type of clearancing to fit around the valve covers with the increased height of the Trick Flow Heads.  I shaved down the corner of the valve cover.

The Trick Flows heads are VERY impressive.  But the stock rockers or stock type rockers won't work.  I had to buy some Harlan Sharp 1.6 rockers made for these heads (also Edelbrock heads).  Not really that impressed with Harlan Sharp rockers after very bad experiences on my previous LS engine.  Still not impressed.

Heads studs don't work with either Dougs heads or TTi headers.  The studs under the exhaust ports won't allow the headers to mount.  I got around this by torquing the heads and grinding down the excess stud length.  Recommend just getting bolts instead of studs.

I put on a high flow oil pump and road race Milodon 7qt oil pan.  The pan fit well around everything and doesn't hang down any lower than stock.  But I don't think it would be easy to remove with the engine in the car.  Thanks to all on here as I almost didn't know the high volume pump requires the larger pan.

I had 66 jets in the center carb for the 440 and put 68's in while waiting for the shortbock thinking that was probably still not enough (but was the largest I had).  Well, long story short, I just put the 66's back in yesterday.  I was running about 11.8:1 AFR under part throttle with eh 68's in.  Still tuning, but I think the 66's will be right.

So, for the results:

I now have about 80 miles on the motor.  It is beyond a night an day difference.  It is now difficult not to light the tires up every time I just try to go normally.  I'm actually very concerned about twisting the body as this was originally a 318 car and I don't even have torque boxes.  Gonna look at subframe connectors I think unless there is something better out there.

Not a drop of any liquid (oil/trans fluid/coolant) under the car.  I most surprised about that actually!

When I think I can type more and not getting red in the face thinking about them, I'll do another thread to describe my experience with Carolina Machine.  I'm still waiting on the refunding my $1200 they overcharged me...

Derrick

Good to hear! I have a 522 w/ trickflow heads in the works right now. I can't wait to fire it up!
1973 Challenger 440 6 pack auto 3.91 rear
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 6.7 Cummins Fleece EFI Live
1973 Challenger 318 2bbl auto 2.73 rear 22.5 mpg RIP
1970 Challenger TA 340 4bbl auto-Sold and sad
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 5.9 Cummins Fleece tuned VGT-sold
1995 Kawasaki ZX1100E & still alive

Offline Tazinhawaii

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017 - 07:47:52 am »
Sounds like a weapon got any pic of engine I'm pretty keen to see how the distributor looks with the shaker as I have a shaker as well on my cuda and need a distributor but yes clearance can be tight so I'm told(mines got a 340 in it atm gotta watch dizzy  height as well ) , any videos of it sounds a nice car , I hear got reports about trick flow heads a guy over here got a set man they are good gear hey , also with your dougs headers and the ride hight of your cuda are you happy got any pics , im building a 493 stroker that's all

No pics yet to post as I'm going to have to find a way other than my usual photobucket...  AS for the headers, they are tucked up about as well as I could expect.  The collector is huge (3.5"), but I'm not worried about them dragging.  My car is now close to stock ride height in front and raised an inch over stock in the rear.  As for the shaker, it the front passenger corner does rest right down on the plug wires on the distributor.  It fits, but barely...  I'll try to post some pics of the motor as soon.

Derrick

Offline cam440

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017 - 02:48:42 am »
thanks mate love to see some pics

Offline Tazinhawaii

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017 - 04:10:01 pm »
OK, went out and took some pics.  Here are some showing the shaker on and how close it is to the MSD.  Also got a pic of the header flange location and some of the general car.

Offline cam440

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017 - 06:15:36 am »
Thanks mate for takeing the time to help out with pics ,nice cuda love it those dougs headers are not to bad in ground clearance wonder how they compare to Tti mines a few inches lower for sure but your ride heights nice I have dougs on my 340 ATM and to be honest the clearance is not bad for a low car  , yeah the dizzy is close for sure but it's doing the job looks fine  , those big shaker bubbles cover a lot of the engine hey , the 71 cuda is the nicest for sure love the front reminds me of phantasm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017 - 06:22:30 am by cam440 »