The 1968 lamps are wired with 18 gauge so, the add on I described above is installed and I know it was an improvement. Today I pulled the lamp out of my 1974 cuda and I found it to have neatly wrapped 16 gauge and longer plug wires.
I only want to add the relays. I already replaced the tungsten with GE Halogen sealed beams back in early 80's and the car has always been garaged so it's crud free. It never had dim lights and the halogens always worked excellent, even better than my Silverado with new Phillips 9005 xenon +130%.
The advantage of direct battery/ alt. current to them is all I think it needs. The sealed beams have no deflector in front of the bulb so the pattern is rounder and fuller, in a #8 pattern. I compared the Hella side by side on the wall and the Hella's are only slightly whiter and brighter, but the pattern is flat top with a small center rectangular box and side skews . I want to try one of each, with the sealed on the drivers side, and the Hella shooting farther down the right and up on the signs.
The Hella DOT is 55w/ 65watts. The GE DOT sealed beams are low 43w/60w high, but without the deflector they are blasting out the center bigger, with more scatter, and for me it helps see the left side better with on coming lights.
I can see why the Philips sealed Nitehawks are recommended here on the forum.
I was looking at the drivers side wires and realized that it's double with the add on 14g. from pass. side. I just changed in the ceramic plug with the old connectors. I did add a 14 g. ground wire by soldering onto the existing ground con.
Tomorrow evening, should be dry enough for a test run.