Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Running the Battery cable inside the car??  (Read 567 times)

Offline chally426

Running the Battery cable inside the car??
« on: October 26, 2016 - 07:43:52 PM »
I'm looking at running an 0/0 cable from the trunk down the sides on the inside of the car where the factory runs the wiring to the rear of the car, to a power distribution up under the dash, then to starter...Anyone do this and not worry a bunch, are how did you do it...Not interested in running the cable under the car...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Running the Battery cable inside the car??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016 - 09:09:07 PM »
I have done exactly that but I usually run direct to the starter & run a wire from the starter back to the dist block  .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017 - 10:43:33 PM »
I just did that last year. Starter wire from battery to start solenoid (in trunk), then one piece from starter solenoid to starter, run along the factory routing for the tail lights. Then drilled a hole in the firewall for a strain relief. I don't like the idea of running the starter wire external either.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017 - 02:03:42 PM »
There's a passage hole in the firewall that will allow the cable to go through (I've simply added some thick rubber foam insulator around it... I think there's a plastic plug that needs to be removed).  My cable runs under the kick-panel on the driver's side (inside under carpet, etc). 
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline crash340

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017 - 02:22:57 PM »
Im about to put the battery in the trunk so Im gathering all the bits and pieces I need, I'll be running the cable along the factory cable route as well, what Im thinking of doing is just after the master on/off (in the trunk) put a continuous duty 250A relay/solenoid (I have a Moroso one atm) but control the relay with one of the Ford Fuel pump cut-off switches, we put these in our electric fuel pump circuit in case of an accident etc. I figure if I hit something its nice to cut the fuel obviously, so the engine stops as well as possible fuel leak issues, well if the engine is stopped why not kill the power to the car as well in case the electrical is compromised, particularly a heavy cable the length of the car which could cause a fire etc,,,,,,, thoughts??
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017 - 09:01:29 PM »
I did the same thing, but ran the lines to bulkhead connectors similar to these. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thru-Panel-Battery-Terminal-Firewall-Bulkhead-Connector-Feed-Through-/142223711430

The ones I got had rubber covers for both sides, although I only use them under the dash.  I had to mount my battery over the center of the axle because I only ordered 11' of cable.  I needed at least 13' to mount it on the passenger side wheel well.  Just tape it down anywhere it may rub.

Chris
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Austin, Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C, PW, PDL (almost done)
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017 - 04:08:38 AM »
I might have to do this, if I can't find another solution. You guys that have the battery in the trunk, do you have any type of protection in the trunk end, fusable link, solenoid etc? (Like in the picture) I have seen many burned battery cables and problems with this in the past, probably caused by running the cables the wrong way, or poorly insulated cables.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Online GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017 - 09:32:24 AM »
I have a twin megafuse holder I will be using near my battery in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:working: Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page :working:

1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum - In progress

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link
Aftermarket Gauges:Link

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017 - 10:14:09 AM »
A solenoid seems like a good idea, but I don't know if the Hemi computers needs constant power when off?
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Online GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017 - 11:24:30 AM »
A solenoid seems like a good idea, but I don't know if the Hemi computers needs constant power when off?

The solenoid shown appears to just be a typical ford starter solenoid while the fuse protects the rest of the car. I rather just fuse the big wire to the starter and minimize my voltage drop to the rest of the car by running that larger cable up front.

The only thing on my car that needs constant power is the radio, the MS ECU does not.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017 - 11:28:27 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017 - 12:00:05 PM »
Not sure how many amps a starter draws but will a big fuse take it? Gotta be a fuse with screw connections though.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Online GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017 - 03:11:09 PM »
Not sure how many amps a starter draws but will a big fuse take it? Gotta be a fuse with screw connections though.

Similar to that fuse you posted above in the picture, that one there is a 175a Mega Fuse. I will have two 150a fuses in parallel to the starter, which will hold 300a together.

I expect to see about 200a from the starter on the initial hit. But if the positive cable is grounded, the battery will try to pull 600+ amps through it and the fuses will trip.

1976 Dodge Warlock