Author Topic: 1971 Dodge challenger RT 2 tag car  (Read 2765 times)

Offline BL1 70 RR

1971 Dodge challenger RT 2 tag car
« on: August 02, 2016 - 10:00:15 AM »
Hey guys I'm thinking about buying a 1971 Dodge challenger RT. The car is plum crazy and a 2 tag car, the guy is asking 40K for it. The car seems to be in good conndition, the body clean has a few minor things that need to be done the interior is dated but clean. Some options on it are A36 performance axle A62 rallye cluster package J78 front spoiler M28 front bumper. Do you guys think that the asking price is fair?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: 1971 Dodge challenger RT 2 tag car
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016 - 10:53:59 AM »
Sounds like an awesome car and worth every bit of $40K :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016 - 11:11:41 AM »
'71's are my favorite year for Challengers, still wish I had mine.  I would say he is within a couple thousand and its worth a shot to offer a little lower but not by much.

Offline js29no

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016 - 12:33:49 PM »
welcome! :wave: What size engine, what transmission, numbers matching, color of the interior? O ya  :picture:

Offline crocha617

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016 - 01:43:41 PM »
For $40,000 I would think it would be pretty nice. If the interior is old and there are a few issues with the body I would think $40k would be high unless it was a V-code or something pretty special. You might want to post some pictures of this one before you pull the trigger.

Offline BL1 70 RR

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016 - 01:59:30 PM »
It originally had a 383 but now has a 440 auto

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016 - 03:19:49 PM »
Depends somewhat where you/the car are, but $40K seems a bit on the high side unless it is really nice, has some very unique options, etc. For that money I would get it on a lift and check the bottom closely for rust, damage, etc. Obviously not a "matching" numbers car but that isn't a huge issue (at least for me), but it would have be really special for me to pay that type of money. Yes there are some on here who will say that $40K isn't bad or isn't that much, well to me that is a pretty significant investment seeing that I paid slightly more than that for more 01 Viper GTS ACR (1 of 38 made) and about the same for a brand new 14 Ram 2500 (granted the truck will not appreciate like the Challenger, just a data point).

At the end of the say, it is your money and will be your car. If you have the money and the car makes your pulse race and heart beat faster, then go for it.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016 - 03:47:11 PM »
Here is a '71 RT for sale in PHX that's $10k less for comparison - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5702621021.html

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016 - 03:50:58 PM »
I've learned one thing about seeing a car online and getting all juiced up about it - you got to go see it in person with your own eyes - or someone else who you can trust to be your proxy and objectively look at it for you. I've gotten amped up about a couple of cars I've seen online this year and thought about jumping sight unseen. But I didn't. I drove/flew out to look at them and .... well lets just say I'm still looking. In fact, I'm going to Michigan next week to look at another one. So, if you really like it and are thinking about taking the plunge, I would make some plans to go look at it in person. Just saying. :2cents:
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline BL1 70 RR

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016 - 04:17:54 PM »
I've learned one thing about seeing a car online and getting all juiced up about it - you got to go see it in person with your own eyes - or someone else who you can trust to be your proxy and objectively look at it for you. I've gotten amped up about a couple of cars I've seen online this year and thought about jumping sight unseen. But I didn't. I drove/flew out to look at them and .... well lets just say I'm still looking. In fact, I'm going to Michigan next week to look at another one. So, if you really like it and are thinking about taking the plunge, I would make some plans to go look at it in person. Just saying. :2cents:
Thats true I went to go look at a car last night, the way the guy described it was that it only needed paint... I was able to stick my finger threw holes in every single body panel on the car.

Offline js29no

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016 - 04:19:56 PM »
Here is a '71 RT for sale in PHX that's $10k less for comparison - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5702621021.html
   And A 4-speed in that one!!! :2thumbs: :burnout:

Offline AARTA340

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016 - 12:10:53 AM »

:iagree:

I have done the same, and every car I have looked at has fallen way SHORT of what they have been described. The only one that was close to pulling the trigger on was one that got listed on ebay, but I had already seen it in person. Being a non numbers car is what held me back. If you can't look at it in person, get someone off this board or another, to be your eyes and ears, otherwise you will be unhappy when the car is delivered. A good friend bought two cars that were supposed to be very nice top end cars and no issues. One was a 75k car, the other 100k+.  Both had major problems and he has since sold them at a loss. Both sellers supposedly had a good reputation. I seen both cars in person after they were delivered and the buyer was duped. All I can say is, the seller on the 100k car did step up and attempt to make the car as described, but after all the BS, he is happy just driving a new Challenger.

:2cents:

Offline cudamadd

• cudamad157071@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016 - 01:28:56 AM »
OH how i wish we could bye a 71 r/t challenger for that price .  Here in  :aussie:. I have said that i was born in the wrong country .
Go 4 a spin Ya Why Not.

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016 - 08:38:38 PM »
I would be very tempted if somebody offered $40k cash for my original 1971 Plum Crazy R/T Challenger, mine is a 4 speed with build sheet too.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016 - 08:43:54 PM »
Thats true I went to go look at a car last night, the way the guy described it was that it only needed paint... I was able to stick my finger threw holes in every single body panel on the car.

Body and paint work could easily cost $20-$30k, walk away!