Author Topic: Blast Cabinet  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Rdchallenger12

Blast Cabinet
« on: June 15, 2016 - 11:57:09 AM »
How many of us have a blast cabinet of some sort to use for our home resto or projects? Thinking of buying one possibly even a bench top one or small ground one and seeing how many people use theirs and how much use it gets.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Blast Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016 - 12:01:55 PM »
They definitely have their place.   They work great on some parts...other parts can be cleaned up more effectively with other methods.  Ultimately, it's nice to have a variety of tools to chose from, depending on what job needs to be done.  Make sure you have more compressor than you think you need.  There is nothing more annoying than a compressor that can't keep up. 

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016 - 12:15:38 PM »
I restore cars for a living and I DON'T have one.....It is on my list though....but as burdar says....you need a pretty big assed compressor to keep up.....also on my list.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline js29no

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016 - 03:01:00 PM »
I have A small one, I would like A bigger one. I have glass beads in mine, less aggressive. works fine for smaller stuff. :2thumbs: :working:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016 - 03:15:03 PM »
I have A small one, I would like A bigger one. I have glass beads in mine, less aggressive. works fine for smaller stuff.

We're still talking about sandblast cabinets right ?? :naughty: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016 - 03:29:32 PM »
We're still talking about sandblast cabinets right ?? :naughty: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Ziiiinnnnggggggg!!!  :rofl:

Offline js29no

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016 - 09:49:29 AM »
Got me there!!! I guess I should have previewed that before I clicked post.  :roflsmiley: :poopoke: I was referencing my sandblasting cabinet.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016 - 10:31:49 AM »
I've owned this one for over twenty years, it wasn't cheap but it more than paid for itself the first year....

https://www.abrasiveblastequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Empire-Enono-Finish-Blast-Cabinet.jpg
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Online GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016 - 05:42:55 PM »
I have a 60gal 220v compressor and would consider it to be the smallest you would realistically want with a full-size blast cabinet. I can easily outrun it by constantly blasting. I have a free-standing cabinet and am not sure I would want a benchtop, you really aren't saving any space by doing that. Well, not much, in my opinion.

Having said that, I really like having the cabinet for my car restoration that is underway, however I can easily seeing it go out to pasture once this car is complete. It does take a lot of garage real estate.

Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline dakota

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016 - 07:58:45 PM »
I have one of the harbor freight units that is free standing (no cabinet).   It doesn't take up much room, but there's no easy way to capture the blast media after it's used once.   OK for small items, but it got to be a pain to reload so I'm using wire wheels more often now.

Offline Cudaragtop

• Woulda Shoulda Cuda! Randy
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016 - 10:39:16 AM »
I bought this one at HF yesterday. $35 + $44 for 50lbs. glass bead 80 grit
Think I will go back and get the Aluminum Oxide 70 grit to be a little more aggressive.  It worked best after I shortened the hose and put it up higher than my work.
It worked good enough on the part shown.
I only have a 26gal 2.5 Horse compressor but it kept up pretty well. Need to invest in a water separator/filter.

Made this Blast cabinet yesterday too. Plastic bin, an extra-large garbage bag with a hand hole in each corner.
Made one hole big enough to put the part through and the blaster gun. Poured the media back into the blaster through the smaller hole without removing the bag.
Collected the media pretty well. Need a more transparent bin though. It was just what I had laying around. Maybe I'll cut a hole and put a plexi window in...  :dunno:

Was looking at this one for $119.99... I would have to put it on a cart and maybe get a Bar-B-Que cover for it since I don't have anywhere to put it.

- Randy D.
1 of 88 1970 340 4-Speed 'Cuda Convertibles
69 Barracuda Fastback Project Album https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8
----o00o--'(_)'--o00o----

Offline Cudaragtop

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016 - 01:21:00 PM »
I call it "The Ghetto Blaster"
 :aarg:

- Randy D.

Offline Cudaragtop

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016 - 01:29:41 PM »
Ordered one of these to blast large parts with sand and my pressure washer.
I read it was best to keep the media feed at the top pointing up to keep water from back feeding into the feed hose and clogging.
Ordered it yesterday. Will post results.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660204_200660204

- Randy D.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016 - 11:21:44 PM »
I've got a Princess Auto stand up unit and the previously mentioned water separator should be bought when you buy the blaster, trust me. Make sure you get a suitable light for inside and a good vac to keep the dust from obscuring your vision. It'll do things the wire wheel can't and I've used both extensively trying to breath new life into the rusty old crate I own.  :cheers:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016 - 09:04:11 AM »
I had a large industrial one . It sat in my garage for over 10 years and never got used so I sold it to a friend. He will gladly blast something if I need it. Glass bead works nice , and like already mentioned a BIG compressor and a water separator are a must.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0