Author Topic: NEWB from Washington DC  (Read 11052 times)

Offline Rolling_Thunder

• only 2 things get my attention, gas and perfume
Re: NEWB from Washington DC
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2017 - 10:23:53 am »
New Year and some progress on the Challenger...            Uncle Sam has been keeping me very busy with the Presidential stuff and missions here and there...      but I've managed to get quite a bit of little things done...     

- Front Suspension removed along with old engine / trans
- Front suspension pieces cleaned, painted, new bushings / ball joints
- Ordered both front fenders
- Sourced A/C parts to convert the car to factory A/C set up (pulleys, brackets, compressor, evap box, drier, and new condenser)
- Cleaned / Painted a lot of little parts here and there...    3 speaker dash grills, misc nuts / bolts, rebuilt my second Cruise Control module
- Postponed primer due to winter weather
- Ordered a lot of little things - P/S pump seal kit, P/S box rebuild kit, headliner, package tray, sill plates, etc...     

Overall some of the most time consuming things are refinishing the nuts / bolts - spending hours upon hours zinc plating and phosphating the hardware...     in the end it'll be worth it ---  I withdrew from the bodywork once all the major work was done because I needed to see some more progress to keep my motivation up - so that's why I began working on the front suspension - I can now see things cleaned, painted, assembled and ready to go ---  always better then spending a week straight working on the body and seeing no discernible difference.

Inspected the Magnum and the 46RH - everything looks good - engine was very clean inside and didn't see the point in taking it down any further than a long block...    Ordered a speedmaster intake manifold for it - still waiting for it to arrive...    also ordered an 360 oil pan from Jegs with correct pickup tube ---  also ordered the usual things from Rock Auto - water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, and odds and ends like that.     engine might get painted this weekend if it stays decent temp wise...       

When it snowed a week ago I took that time to disassemble and refinish the steering column - it is patiently waiting to be installed...     only thing I need to find for that is a different steering wheel - I personally hate the 72+ Steering wheel...    may just go with a Tuff wheel instead.

I plan on sanding and refinishing the dash frame today and get it assembled --  trying to get the sub-assemblies done so putting it all together goes fairly quickly...   

As Always = I am taking a lot of pictures along the way - will reorganize this thread into a "Build" thread and add the pics when I have some more free time to dedicate to it. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017 - 02:12:25 pm by Rolling_Thunder »
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L / 6-speed

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara - 440 8-71 / 4-speed

Offline dakota

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017 - 01:52:44 pm »
Welcome to the site from NY. Your plans for the car color combo sound cool.  My car had a vinyl too at one time, but I think I'm happier without. 

Offline Rolling_Thunder

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017 - 02:01:18 pm »
 :cheers:   Thanks - -  I don't own any high impact color cars...    2013 Challenger is Billet Silver Metallic, 1968 Charger is White, 1964 Polara is rust colored currently (thinking about Pepper Grey Matellic with a red gut / was originally medium metallic blue with blue - 383 auto car...       too boring for me)

Plus the fact the Girlfriend loves yellow...       kinda makes sense.    Otherwise it would go back to JA5 with the black top.

Offline Rolling_Thunder

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017 - 07:15:12 pm »
Random drop in for an update....    The Challenger progress has been slow - Had a lot of missions and training - got promoted and had to go to the NCO leadership course then drive down to TX for upgrade training and then came back to deal with being moved to yet another section of responsibility.

Anyway! - The Challenger is still sitting in my garage - Been doing a lot of the priming and block sanding (thankless and never ending job) -

- The dash assembly is sitting in my spare bedroom - nice and assembled waiting for the day it can go in
- Got the engine buttoned up with 4bbl intake, PS, A/C, and painted the correct for '73 blue
- ordered a bunch of odds and ends here and there from Classic Industries
- entire car is epoxy primed, primed, and being block sanded
- interior panels have been inventoried and cleaned
- rebuilt three cruise control servos and cleaned / painted all mounting hardware
- K-member and front suspension is all cleaned/ painted/ waiting for assembly once the engine bay is painted
- scored some 15" Rallyes to replace the 14"s in the car currently
- disassembled and restored the rear window defogger

A lot of the progress is hinging on the bodywork - i have some experience with this but in reality it is just hours upon hours of priming and blocking - at a certain point i will hand it over to a bodyshop to spray the color

I've been going back and forth on the vinyl top - still undecided

Brake lines, fuel lines, new tank, new rubber lines, etc etc are all ready to go once the car comes back from Paint ---  really hoping to get the car into the body shop before winter hits

Side project taking some of my time is my 1998 4Runner that is getting a 4x4 and 5speed swap- thats been keeping me a little busy as well --- 

Online 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017 - 05:36:05 pm »
One step at a time, I have been working on my Cuda for 10+ years... its all good.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Rolling_Thunder

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017 - 11:06:21 am »
Well - Uncle Sam is playing with my life a little too much  these days -- but I have been making some progress on the Challenger little by little...   I fabbed some rear casters to get the body shell completely void of any suspension - that way I can clean up all the remaining rear suspension components. The time has been mostly spent on doing all the little odds and ends of cleaning and stuff -

stupid things like disassembling the power steering pump...   a 5 minute job turned into a torch, hammer, drift, and a lot of cursing for about 45 minutes...  all just to break the pump casting. Order a new pump - comes with newer reservoir that doesnt fit my brackets...    disassemble that pump, clean and paint the old reservoir and reassemble with new pump...    a 15 minute task turns into something spanning a week.   :violin:

Anyway - wire wheeled and painted the leaf springs, ordered new shackles (mine were so pitted i worried about their strength), and a bunch of minor little things...   window crank handles, door handles, lock knobs, parking brake cables, side markers, and things such as that...    little things i'll need so i pick them up little by little to spread out the financial hit.

Biggest thing now is just getting the body ready for paint - going to jam it myself and paint the engine bay so I can get it back on all four wheels before it goes to exterior paint. That will free up a lot of space in the garage.

All this while doing a 5 speed 4x4 conversion on my 4runner...   it was 2wd and automatic - which wasnt fun so now its a 4x4 manual.

I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel - my "to-do" list is getting shorter and shorter and my "parts" list is also - so feeling pretty excited.

Online 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017 - 04:58:00 pm »
On bite at a time :)
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline Rolling_Thunder

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017 - 07:14:28 pm »
Well - I actually got some visible progress ---  jammed the car and got the engine bay painted so I can start assembling all the engine bay / suspension / etc put together.

Ill then get the fenders / hood / etc on and align all the panels then send it out to paint.

Online 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017 - 07:45:19 pm »
Excellent, congrats. I have just resumed work on my Cuda. I keep getting distracted with other things...  :bigsmile:
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline Zach1018

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2017 - 11:58:30 am »
Very cool to see the progress you're making. Active duty makes fixing up a car tough, I had a 73 charger when I was in the Navy, I have since sold it when I got out and started my Challenger. Your car looks awesome, keep at it.

Online 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2017 - 12:16:31 am »
Amen to that; when I went on active duty I was stationed at Ft Bragg and had a AAR Cuda (that I paid $250 for...), 73 challenger and picked up a 70 GTX while I was there. I had no time to work on any of the and eventually sold them all when I came down on orders overseas to Okinawa. Didn't get back into Mopars until I decided to retire in 2000. Been a wild ride since..  :bigsmile:
Current Mopar
Past Mopars