Author Topic: Drilling into painted body  (Read 1275 times)

Offline SatanHead

Drilling into painted body
« on: October 21, 2015 - 02:31:04 pm »
Hey all, looking for some advice here. Getting ready to drill some holes into the body panels of my '71 challenger, particularly for trim installation, and hood pins. The rear quarters are replacements, and the entire car was painted and finished before the holes were drilled for trim. I need to drill for wheel well trim, deck lid trim, and as I said, hood pins. My question is, what's the best way to protect the exposed steel from moisture after drilling into the painted body panels without having to sand, repaint, and reseal the affected area?

Any thoughts?

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Drilling into painted body
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015 - 02:49:24 pm »
Depending on how large the holes are, makes a difference in how I do it. If they are small, I just place 1 layer of masking tape over the spot to be drilled, use a sharp bit and drill through it very carefully. If it is a larger hole, use the same procedure, just start with a small bit for a pilot hole and step up in bit size from there. The masking tape  over the hole helps to keep the paint from cracking etc..  when you are finished drilling the holes, use a little touch up brush with some of the body paint on it and apply a little bit of paint to the exposed metal inside the hole to help with rust issues down the road.  Happy drilling...... :2thumbs:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015 - 04:12:38 pm »
I'd pull the masking tape off real careful because if drilling a hole lifted the paint at all, the tape will sure finish the job. :scared:
I drill holes in paint all the time, sharp bit, steady hand measure twice.... :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 750-h2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015 - 04:41:40 pm »
I always use "step" bits to drill holes as you eliminate the risk of breaking the bit and the "step' bits do not tend to slide around when starting to drill.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015 - 04:50:41 pm »
I always use "step" bits to drill holes as you eliminate the risk of breaking the bit and the "step' bits do not tend to slide around when starting to drill.
I like those too ! :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline lulurocks

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015 - 08:51:28 pm »
I use a good silicone sealant when i assemble, i will mock up , drill my holes , mount piece and the pull  screws one by one and  squeeze a dab of silicone sealant in the drilled hole,  like screw butter.  Seals threads and drilled metal hole at same time. :2cents:

I like this :

http://3mauto.com/products/adhesives-sealants/3m-super-silicone-seal-08661-clear.html

Offline SatanHead

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015 - 02:25:37 pm »
Great advice all. Thank you.