Author Topic: XV Racing Products  (Read 7515 times)

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
Re: XV Racing Products
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014 - 02:23:17 am »
I'd be interested to see the universal shaker mount re-released.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014 - 11:00:21 am »
Regarding the SFC, the types on the market that weld all across the floor pan are NOT ALLOWED with the SCCA Solo/autocross class rules of E/Street Prepared, which is a highly competative class for pony cars.   Therefor, my eventual choice of SFC is only allowed connect to the front/rear frame rails (not the leaf spring mount as Hotchkis does).  I've raced the car in SCCA solo/autocross since 1975, made progressive mods (all following the SCCA "rule book")... car is very stiff/flat and handles superbly, great to drive on street and especially hwy/road courses... all without SFC.  I believe SFC would further help the performance, but the only type I could install, legally, are the types that attach only to the front/rear (and, they can be welded f/r which was an eventual SCCA rules allowance a few years ago.)   Also, the floor pan cannot be cut per SCCA rule book of class E/SP.  I believe there's an allowance that the SFCs can attach (bolted), additionally, at only one extra point to the floor, such as the tubular Magnum SFCs.... those are of consideration to me.   Regardless, I need some ground clearance, as well, since the car sits low.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline XV_Racing

• XV Racing Products
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014 - 12:30:26 pm »
 Exactly, that's the reason why they don't allow it, it makes the car extremely more rigid than any other way.  If you can bolt through to the floor anywhere, that would be a definite plus...

The XV connectors don't hang down any lower than the cross member or the rear frame rail...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014 - 12:35:34 pm by XV_Racing »
Chris Reinhardt
XV Racing Products
Facebook XV Racing Products

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014 - 04:12:25 pm »
Thank you for the reply...  Exactly what type of testing setup was used before and after?

Car was jacked up using the oem bumper jack. Door was opened. It was sticking against the striker plate and required considerable force to open and would not close. Tube style sub frame connectors with wide placement weld plates were welded in to front and rear sub-frames after leveling chassis. Same test was conducted, door opened and close with ease. Sorry, didn't think to run tape across the engine bay. I think the video you are referencing has been lost with the transition of XV Motorsports to XV Racing.

I agree the tube style sub frame connectors are not optimal. While they do not create the type of shear plane the full length, contoured weld in connectors do, they are a good site better than nothing at all and do meet the rule requirements of SCCA.

For that matter, seam welding, also outlawed by SCCA in street classes and can show significant improvements in torsional rigidity as well. It all has to be balanced against those drivers who compete within a sanctioning body and their required regulations vs those drivers who either don't compete or do compete in wide open, limited rules classifications. Your products tend to supply those drivers who have no rules, or limited rule sets.

Offline XV_Racing

• XV Racing Products
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014 - 06:01:07 pm »
Lets just say, I agree to disagree with you....

If you're constrained by SCCA rules, it is what it is, then I stand corrected, something would be better than nothing....

CR
Chris Reinhardt
XV Racing Products

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014 - 06:54:35 pm »
I bought the US car tool SFC and sold them again, too much work for me. I'm no "expert" but it seems to me they are only as strong as the smallest/narrowest point. With the thin metal in the floor I didn't see much advantage. I'm sure they are somewhat more resistant to twisting but again to me not worth the cost/effort. I found welding in 3/4" tubing every 6" or so really helped take the twist out of the tubing. I first clamped it in my vise and with a large adjustable was able to twist it slightly. I then did the same after welding in the round tubing and couldn't budge it. It was quite noticeable. Also when jacking up my car near the front wheel it would come off the ground before the rear and I also noticed the gaps in the fender to door change. After welding in my homemade SFC the gaps didn't move and the rear wheel comes off the ground at the same time as the front while jacking up near the front wheel. It does help considerably.  Total investment ... $10 in material.
Is there a better way? Sure maybe ?  I think the least effective idea/modification is the front rad brace. Why would you just weld a straight piece of tubing across the frame rails? Lots of room and simple to do.
I also added the US car tool cowl braces, they are an excellent design IMO With this I added in the "strut tower bar/ Monte Carlo bar" tied into the cowl braces.  Also added in the factory style torque boxes front and rear.

IMO these cars need all the help they can get as the whole car is a big  torsion bar. I would think adding bigger torsion bars without helping out the chassis would make the bar not as efficient as it could be with chassis stiffening. It would make the car flex further down the chassis.
But I'm no expert, no letters in front of behind my name, just my own idea's/common sense.  I did the best with what I could spend. I'm sure with a much bigger budget it could be better.
I'm not posting this to put down XV just thought I'd share my idea's and what I found worked. With all the marketing hype out there from various manufactures I think there is more than room for products that work as well or better than they claim. If a company caters to those with unlimited or bigger than most can spend they are really backing themselves into a corner market share wise? Market share for people that are into making Mopar's handle is small enough to start with!
I loved the XV Challenger had it as my computer wallpaper for years . It was a real inspiration to me! A part of Mopar history/legacy ! :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014 - 06:56:56 pm by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline polarbear123

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014 - 10:35:17 am »
Hay Brad you should put those on the market. I will be your first customer.   :bigsmile:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014 - 10:41:28 am »
I loved the XV Challenger had it as my computer wallpaper for years . It was a real inspiration to me! A part of Mopar history/legacy ! :2thumbs:

I  agree.

Also, Chris, please understand that while I may not agree with all of your approach on some components, I am glad you are making a go of it again and I do wish you the best of luck in the effort.

Offline XV_Racing

• XV Racing Products
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014 - 11:36:30 am »
 Brad, I can see you put a lot of effort into it, but a couple of quick points....

The tubes you added I'm sure make the that section of the tube more stiff, but the overall stiffness of that piece is only as good as the weakest point.

That coped out section of the tube is where it will flex the most, so even if you had a solid chunk of 2x2 steel, it would still flex around that cope.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014 - 11:38:39 am by XV_Racing »
Chris Reinhardt
XV Racing Products

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014 - 12:25:42 pm »
 Interesting debate  :popcorn:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014 - 01:06:21 pm »
XV - The primary reason the SCCA Solo rules within the "Street Prepared" category do NOT allow full floor-length welding is in the spirit of the original intent to keep costs down, as well as withing the common skills-limit of the at-home-do-it-yourselfer.  In fact, the roots of the Street Prepared category was to only allow for true "bolt-in" mods... no welding or cutting, etc, for anything on the car.  That became a constant request for change specifically with SFC.. at least to allow welding at the front and rear attachment points of the bars themselves... eventually allowed by the SCCA Solo rules comittee (one of their rare allowances for this category).  Floor board cutting remains not-allowed; full welding across the floor board remains not allowed.

On the other hand, the above type of extended mods (welding to floor, cutting of floor) is allowed in the SCCA "Prepared" (full race) category, and their existing "Street Modified" category (although the rules don't favor our pony cars, in-my-opinion), as well as their new "CAM" (Classic American Muscle) class -- this could become a very popular class for us, but, for the SM and CAM categories/classes, the expenses required to be competitive steadily increase beyond the "Street Prepared" category.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.