Well, after watching the cuda collect dust for the past 4 months, I finally started to put it back together today.
Been extremely busy with work and family, in fact I still am, and the weather has really been too hot for me to have fun working in the garage, but my daughter gave birth to my first grandkid the other night, and it inspired me to get off my duff and get it running again.
So, first thing this morning I lifted off all 52 pounds of the iron manifold, and pulled the pan to get off all the perma seal and the gasket material off. Months ago I tried using one paper gasket under the valley pan and I couldnt get more than a few manifold bolts on. The geometry just didnt work. So I spent a few hours cleaning it all up, and then tried the Hylomar equivalent (because it says so right on the package!) Permaseal #85420. Its blue tacky stuff which hopefully will work.
Thanks from me too Onebadfish.
Got the manifold bolted down this time, and maybe tomorrow Ill reinstall the passenger valve cover (I replaced a few rear stem seals) and start mounting the carbs.
And Docmel, sorry I havent even looked at this thread in a while, but your advice seems spot on. The new kits come with various different universal type gaskets and who knows if they really do the job right. Probably not.