I am forever thinking of things to add to the Tinfish to make it as complete and as good as possible. Things that Detroit did not address originally which is the topic of this upgrade.
The area between the radiator tie bar and the body front panel is just a wide open hole that begs to have some attention. I found a ton of data on custom build assessments but non for a stock latching scenario.
It needs to be a panel that can be removed to access anything in the area and replaced without a lot of trouble.
I gave thought to using metal or fiberglass but decided to first try .125" ABS plastic since there is a ton of it in this car from the factor, so it made sense.
I share these little projects for anyone out there that, like me, that wants to make their fish a little better but keep it close to stock appearance.
A little helping hand if you will. I'm not saying this is the ultimate way to address this design omitt but it is mine.
I am open to any and all suggestions and thoughts. But if this isn't your cup of tea, no problem, I respect that.....just hit "back" and all will be fine.lol
Ok, here it is.
Here is a shot of the area as it came from Detroit back in the day.
I used .125" ABS plastic. I made several patterns but believe it or not, made the finished part in one take. Took a few hours and a couples of beers but I'm very happy with the finished product.
Here are two shots of the finished product. Hood closes just as it did. Nothing in the stock latch assembly was alters and no animals were harmed in the design and execution of this product. lol