Author Topic: Newbie here - 70 Barracuda Restomod  (Read 2169 times)

Offline The1TrueOutlaw

Newbie here - 70 Barracuda Restomod
« on: August 23, 2017 - 08:34:17 AM »
New member here, thought I'd give an intro. I have a 70 Barracuda that I am mostly in the planning stages of a resto-mod. I'll give a quick overview here but once I find the appropriate section on here I will post up something a bit more in depth.

I have the body I'm planning on using but it definitely needs some work. I'm planning to use a drop out SRT 6.4L with the TR6060 from a wreck and a dana 60 with mechanical LSD. Suspension I'm looking at a bolt in aftermarket (leaning towards RMS) and I am planing to redo the interior with the seats from a modern challenger and build custom panels.

I'm looking forward to picking everyone brains!

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Newbie here - 70 Barracuda Restomod
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017 - 01:03:53 PM »
Good starting point and plan overall. There are a number of members who have gone new gen Hemi in an ebody that can offer some great advice. A good plan initially will pay dividends as you move forward. I developed a plan and vision when I started building my Cuda (a long time ago), but it is coming together. The plan helped keep me from going down too many rabbit holes... although it didn't stop it completely  :bigsmile:

Good luck and have fun
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline The1TrueOutlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017 - 01:23:18 PM »
I saw there is a great section on using 3rd gen Hemi's. I will definitely be reading up on it in there. Its hard not to just jump right in and get to work but I want to take my time with it. Its tough to stick to one track, every time I think I've got a specific part nailed down I realize theirs another option or it affects something else. The latest struggle has been picking a brake setup. I wanted to use the wheels and brakes off the SRT but they run 5x115 so I would need to get custom hubs CNC's which isn't a huge deal but after looking at some of the ebodies with different size wheels I realized I don't want to run anything bigger than 17"-18". So now its go with aftermarket or smaller mopar.

Never had to make so many decisions that were so interconnected before but I'm loving it!

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017 - 10:18:58 PM »
I saw there is a great section on using 3rd gen Hemi's. I will definitely be reading up on it in there. Its hard not to just jump right in and get to work but I want to take my time with it. Its tough to stick to one track, every time I think I've got a specific part nailed down I realize theirs another option or it affects something else. The latest struggle has been picking a brake setup. I wanted to use the wheels and brakes off the SRT but they run 5x115 so I would need to get custom hubs CNC's which isn't a huge deal but after looking at some of the ebodies with different size wheels I realized I don't want to run anything bigger than 17"-18". So now its go with aftermarket or smaller mopar.

Never had to make so many decisions that were so interconnected before but I'm loving it!

Yeah it is a roller coaster ride for sure and you are right, it is (or can be) a lot of fun. I like to look at it from 2 different angles; first how I envision the final project looking, then what I want for performance. Build from the outside in, meaning you need a solid foundation to begin with and since you are doing this resto mod, you want to capture all of the bracing and mods in that build. The one thing I will say is that mock up in your friend; I having probably put my car together 3 or more times before paint and body. Take nothing for granted; if someone says something fits, try it yourself first. Be imaginative and don't be afraid of messing up; its just metal and almost anything can be fixed.
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017 - 11:16:45 PM »
Welcome to the site and good luck with your build! It sounds like it'll be awesome.  :wave:

Offline The1TrueOutlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017 - 02:30:06 PM »
Yeah it is a roller coaster ride for sure and you are right, it is (or can be) a lot of fun. I like to look at it from 2 different angles; first how I envision the final project looking, then what I want for performance. Build from the outside in, meaning you need a solid foundation to begin with and since you are doing this resto mod, you want to capture all of the bracing and mods in that build. The one thing I will say is that mock up in your friend; I having probably put my car together 3 or more times before paint and body. Take nothing for granted; if someone says something fits, try it yourself first. Be imaginative and don't be afraid of messing up; its just metal and almost anything can be fixed.

That's a great way of looking at. Do you have recommendations for bracing (known weak spots)? I will definitely be stiffening things up. And that's why I'm taking my time with it, I want to make sure every aspect is thought out. 

And this: "Take nothing for granted; if someone says something fits, try it yourself first." fits just about every situation. Its always best to check things out for your self first.  :2thumbs: Thank you for your advise its much appreciated!

Welcome to the site and good luck with your build! It sounds like it'll be awesome.  :wave:

Thank you sir!

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017 - 03:05:29 PM »
Absolutely, you need to install the torque boxes front and rear (lots on here about that as well as a lot online). You can purchase them or you can make them, then weld them in. You also want to install inner fender braces which can be purchased or made, I recommend a solid lower radiator support as it really stiffens up the very front of the car. Some people make/buy tower supports (the kind that new cars have/use that are above the intake and run from shock tower to shock tower) but I personally don't really like them because they get in the way of about everything; I think the inner fender braces and the lower radiator support will suffice.

Not sure what you are going to do with the rear suspension, however if by chance you use something that requires the rear shocks to support any of the weight of the car, the rear shock cross member must be upgraded as it was never intended to do that.

Be very cautious of a number of the after market systems such as the front K frame and some rears suspension systems. There are a number of them that are horrible and despite some people claiming they are "ok", the truth is far different. You need to understand how they all work and what happens during use. For instance, there are a number of front K frame systems that use adjustable coil over shocks to adjust the front end height that bolt into the stock upper shock location; this area was never designed to take the weight of the front end and over time will flex, crack and perhaps fail completely. There are other systems which replace or significantly reinforce this area and thus are much better. Personally, I prefer the factory style front end components; they fit and work without issue but don't look as cool as the coil over stuff.

Good research, careful thought and analysis will help to make this a very enjoyable experience; notice I didn't say cheap..  :bigsmile: You don't always have to buy the latest and greatest stuff on the market, but there are definitely times when you need to spend the money to get the best product (Headers come to mind, TTI is the standard for fitment).

I don't know if you are planning to do this yourself or shop it out; if you are doing it yourself, depending on your skill set it might take longer but will be far more rewarding (plus you will get to buy a lot of cool new tools), if you are going to shop it out, understand that the vast majority of "custom" shops do not know or understand Mopars and could make a cool project into a horror story rather quickly. I do all my own work so I cannot recommend any shops but what I would say is find someone who knows Mopars well, get recommendations and talk to previous customers.

Lastly, start a thread on here under "Members Restoration Projects" (mine is 73 Road Race Cuda). You can (and should) ask questions, post pictures, etc. There are some awesome builds on here that will cover about everything you can think of. Also, there are a number of very active members who are doing their own work and can help you with detailed information. 
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline The1TrueOutlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017 - 02:10:08 PM »
I will have to add that to the list, thank you for giving me so much info! I will definitely look into doing that.

Rear suspension wise I plan on switching to a multi-link style with a coil over. I had come across someone mentioning the poor design of front suspension systems like you were saying. That's why I'm leaning toward the RMS system, the only location it bolts to is the factory frame rail. The coilover used in that system in internally held by an addition brace. On top of the looks and performance benefits, it seemed like there was some addition room gain which was particularly helpful in 3rd gen hemi swaps.

Treading that line of bankruptcy and cheaping out can be a tough one sometimes. But I hear you there, that's why I'm trying not to rush the build. Give me more time to save up money to buy the right stuff rather than what will get the car going. 

I'm planning on doing basically everything I can myself. I can't hardly fine a place id trust to repair my beater nevermind a place to build a custom car hahaha. But in all seriousness doing this car is more for the experience and challenger of the build rather than the end product itself. That being said This is THE car I've always wanted to build so I want it done right.

I will definitely get a thread started. Looking forward to checking yours out!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017 - 05:04:29 PM »
Welcome aboard. I have a 3gen Hemi and 6spd in my Cuda myself. Pretty fun combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017 - 08:59:23 PM »
Goody definitely has this nailed down. I am thinking of going 5.7 and a 6 speed in my 70 RR, I have to sell my 66 426 Hemi to fund it.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline cudamadd

• cudamad157071@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017 - 09:54:31 PM »
Welcome to C.C.com Great start nice project have fun  :aussie:
Go 4 a spin Ya Why Not.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017 - 10:56:39 AM »
Welcome to the site!  Looks like a great project!   :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave: