Author Topic: Looking for a short block  (Read 5648 times)

Offline 73_Cuda_4_Me

Re: Looking for a short block
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015 - 01:38:41 PM »
Cam Bearings can allow oil leakage when engine is warm. Were they replaced (didn't see it specified in post).

My 70 340 engine just rebuilt has 75 psi on cold startup, 20W50 oil.

30 psi at 600 RPM idle when hot, 70-75 psi at 3000 and above.

When I rebuilt the 340, I noticed that the mating surface on the block where oil pump bolts on had a ridge where previous owner had thumped it with a hammer. You have to make sure that the entire mounting pad the oil pump bolts onto (including the oil pump pad as well) is COMPLETELY flat. He tried to use a couple of gaskets to seal it, and did not have any luck.

I stoned it down, and am running stock oil pump and spring combination for the readings above.
1973 Plymouth Cuda BS23H3B567783

R11 V6X EN2
M21 M25 M31 M88 N41 N42
V1X U B41 C56 G37 J54
JY9 A6X9 0 703 501616
E55 D34 BS23 H3B 567783

Offline Denison636

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015 - 02:21:56 PM »
I have found out that if anyone has this issue I was having with the parts I was using to stop and pull the motor. I also found out I was missing an oil gallery plug behind the oil filter plate. The fun part is I am trying to figure out the thread size so I can buy one.
One day I will know what it's like to drive a good running mopar. At this moment not.
 I did have the motor gone threw and it is now a 416 with mauhle fully coated pistons and forged crank and stroker h-beam steel rods and a small cam.
I am running the biggest cam I can go, for my heads but with the math for the lower end I have now. Cam is .335 intake lift and .345 exhaust at .050" the duration is 248 intake and 256 still at .050"
I think the motor might have the sound I was looking for now.
I am also going to switch to E-85 to help. Motor has 11.6:1 compression and I hate running around to find race fuel so I can get this out of the pump.
Figure it should be a nice street motor.
There so much done to this cars drive train now it kinda like a high priced hooker. Every Time I get done something needs redone. Dam b$&@h is a gold digger. If I did not love it so much and it was not my dream car I would have sold it when the first motor went. 
This makes for the third motor now.
But when I primed the oil I. This new motor. Had the valve covers off and shoot out of the rockers about two foot high. So no more oil issues :-) I should also not have a power issue to now
Thanks for all the help and I'll keep everybody updated with this.
Its just a little 340 with a miss

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015 - 08:31:13 PM »
Crazy , I am surprised you got 100 psi at all with a plug missing , certainly explains the rocker starvation problem , you need to have the engine built by a person familiar with Moper engines , they are not a small block chev .
 I am glad you have most of it solved now , It should run hard  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Denison636

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015 - 07:16:50 PM »
That's what I did after this. It's all my fault is how I look at it and lesson learned. I got my motor at a guy in troy mo and he is redoing it. Changes the set up to a 416 and a different cam and springs and lifters.
Its just a little 340 with a miss