Author Topic: Radio Power Wire?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline userdead626

Radio Power Wire?
« on: June 12, 2012 - 04:16:27 AM »
Just installed a new (Alpine 133BT)  head-unit in my 1970 challenger. I used the existing 'red' radio 12v. The clear issue is that the radio does not have constant power so each time I kill the car I lose my presets, EQ, BT, etc. I think my new plan will be to use the factory 'red' radio wire for the 12v (so the radio is only on when the car is on), but i need a new 'constant' power feed that can cope with a 200W head-unit. Any easy suggestions?

If there are any experts in the room, what does the orange wire do? It was disconnected from the original 2W, but the radio still functioned without issue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012 - 04:25:25 AM by userdead626 »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Radio Power Wire?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012 - 06:03:08 AM »
The orange wire is your constant power wire.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 74challenger03

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012 - 11:05:51 AM »
 :iagree:
What does it profit a man to gain the whole would and lose his soul.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012 - 11:38:27 AM »
I thought for the stock radio the two wires on the power connector were for the main power and for the light?  There was no need for a constant power source in any of the originals.  You should be able to tap into the power going to the lighter, because it is hot at all times.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012 - 02:30:52 PM »
there are 2 wires in the plug red & orange , orange is the dash light wire , red is power , there should be a yellow tri plug above the radio it will have constant power

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline userdead626

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012 - 03:26:28 PM »
Well after spending an hour under the dash, I've concluded that the orange wire does nothing (at least not on my model w/ base radio). There is a three way yellow wire which is constant but there is a small canister (not sure what it does) that over-heats after about 30 seconds of radio use.

My next plan is just to tap into the ciggy lighter. Does anyone know if that circuit can handle the power of a modern radio? Its a 20Amp fuse which should be more than enough (i think).

Offline Slotts

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012 - 04:09:14 PM »
The easiest place to get either battery power or switched power is right on the fuse block. There are two male Packard connectors, one for each side. Use a female terminal, with the appropriate size in line fuse, and you're good to go without any splicing.

Slotts

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012 - 06:30:18 PM »
the yellow plug is also constant power as you found out , the canister is the timer for the key in ign light , you do not need 20 amp power all the constant wire does is keep the memory , very low draw , the red wire for the stereo is where all the power goes 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline userdead626

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012 - 02:02:41 AM »
The easiest place to get either battery power or switched power is right on the fuse block. There are two male Packard connectors, one for each side. Use a female terminal, with the appropriate size in line fuse, and you're good to go without any splicing.

Slotts

Perfect, couldn't get this to work yesterday but had more luck today!

Thanks for all the help guys!