Author Topic: Cuda tail panel replacement help  (Read 920 times)

Offline 73cudakid

Cuda tail panel replacement help
« on: January 03, 2019 - 09:05:13 AM »
Hi all. I was wondering if any one had any insight or pics of how a replacement tail panel is welded to the back of the quarters. The floor and gutters are a no brainer, but I don't see how I can weld it from the inside. Its from my 73 that has reproduction Goodmark quarters and an AMD tail panel soon to be welded up. And yes, the car is higher on the one side from super stock springs.

Thanks

Offline Barracuda73

Re: Cuda tail panel replacement help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019 - 06:31:48 PM »
I removed the  taillight housing support brackets. Then I welded the tail light panel on from inside the trunk. There are also little corner pieces at the bottom of the tail light panel that get welded in. I think you have to have these little corner pieces in before you weld anything or you'll have trouble getting them in later if I remember right. later on I welded the support brackets back in after I was done everything else.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019 - 10:43:29 PM »
Yeah, you could do it that way, or, if you have access to, and an acquaintance with, a gas torch; I'd braze the seam and combo seal/attach it. It'd be easy to run some bronze rod into the seam and if you do it right, there's virtually no grinding involved. Old school, but effective and easy enough to do. Failing that and if you don't want to cut up a new panel, you could mig a couple of spots high and low and panel bond the rest. Hope that gives you a couple of options.  :cheers:

Offline 73cudakid

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019 - 06:45:27 AM »
Awesome. Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed.