Author Topic: How to remove window regulators  (Read 1289 times)

Offline FCC

• 1973 Dodge Challenger 340
How to remove window regulators
« on: April 17, 2021 - 06:45:56 PM »
I have a 1973 Dodge Challenger.  My passenger side door window doesn't go up or down anymore so I need to replace (or repair) but I'm wondering how to get the regulator out?  Does the window need to be removed?  Do I need to remove or loosen any of the other brackets? 

I know there is an access hole to remove the regulator but I can't even get the regulator to push back far enough to clear the window crank teeth. I'm trying to do this the easiest way so looking for some experienced feedback. 

Any help would be great appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: How to remove window regulators
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021 - 12:55:47 AM »
First, get a copy (digital) of any E body factory service manual, you can download one from mymopar.com.

The short answer to your question is "yes" the window much be removed from the regulator inside the door. You will need to remove the door whisker and the rubber pieces that the front and back of the window slides through at the front and back of the door (where the hinge and latch is). You will need this space to get the window out of the door.

Once you get the window off the regulator, you then have to carefully ease it out of the door. Once out of the door you can turn back to the regulator, there are lots of bolts there and while you "might" not have to remove everything I recommend that you do so that you can fix all the crap that is wrong the first time.

Once everything in unbolted you should be able to remove all of the components.

I cannot stress enough to take many many pictures, before anything is removed and as you remove things. Putting it all back together is a whole other issue but you NEED to follow the FSM exactly, there are no shortcuts and easy way to do it and adjust it.

Good luck
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)