Author Topic: Are you thinking about doing a Modern Hemi Swap?  (Read 40806 times)

Offline Modern Muscle

• Modern Muscle Performance Group
Are you thinking about doing a Modern Hemi Swap?
« on: February 18, 2012 - 01:35:25 pm »
Hi All,

Just courious if any of you have been thinking about doing a modern Hemi swap and if so what do you think the positives and negitives are?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Are you thinking about doing a Modern Hemi Swap?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012 - 03:16:15 pm »
a number of membershere either have done the swap or are in the process of doing it , , personally I love EFI either adapted to older engines or using the new engines , , I feel you need to build a new Hemi due to the limits HP of the stock internals

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012 - 04:41:47 am »
My opinion on the newer swap is it's become the Small Block Chevy of the swap for Chryslers. Sure, it was kinda cool years ago, but now, It's like convertible HEMI Cudas. They are everywhere. A Guy in a Mag not too long ago said it best "I refuse to sell this thing (Convert. '70 Cuda) because i know as soon as I do within two years it'll have a HEMI and be on BJ"...

Too many people doing the "In" thing right now and dumping a 5.7 Hemi in thier older cars. I need for someone to come up with a $1000.00 PORTED EFI set up for a BB Chrysler. THEN, the WOW factor will be there for me and EFI/Newer swaps. Until then, I'll stick with my Holley's and 440's. Too much $$$ Swapping in a newer Hemi.
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Modern Muscle

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012 - 04:16:02 pm »
My opinion on the newer swap is it's become the Small Block Chevy of the swap for Chryslers. Sure, it was kinda cool years ago, but now, It's like convertible HEMI Cudas. They are everywhere. A Guy in a Mag not too long ago said it best "I refuse to sell this thing (Convert. '70 Cuda) because i know as soon as I do within two years it'll have a HEMI and be on BJ"...

Too many people doing the "In" thing right now and dumping a 5.7 Hemi in thier older cars. I need for someone to come up with a $1000.00 PORTED EFI set up for a BB Chrysler. THEN, the WOW factor will be there for me and EFI/Newer swaps. Until then, I'll stick with my Holley's and 440's. Too much $$$ Swapping in a newer Hemi.

Can you please explain what you think the limits are on a stock 5.7? we have pushed the stock 5.7 close to 500RWHP

Offline Fastd

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012 - 05:18:41 pm »
Hi, I am just starting my build. I have a 1970 Challenger, originally a base model 318 auto car. I love the body. I have no problems do a resto mod on my car. As a matter of fact part of the inspiration for my build is derived from the 70 SRT Modern Muscle built. My engine wish list is the new All-Aluminum 426. You can see my car and my plans in my build thread here:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=82263.0

Todd
Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012 - 05:34:36 pm »
I am planning on using a modern hemi. Seems for what I want it's the way to go

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012 - 05:54:53 pm »
I am planning on using a modern hemi. Seems for what I want it's the way to go
I agree,  I myself are fond of new hemi swaps. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=75207.0.
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline customshop

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012 - 07:14:10 pm »
the new Hemi are great Motors. we are installing  a 426  gen 3 in a Convertible 71 cuda right now. Really nice set up.  I also have a complete 5.7 and trans in a 2005 300c if anyone is looking for a drive line.

Offline Jousi

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012 - 01:46:20 am »
I have also swap going on, juts get in the car and started. I am using 5.7 with Fast XFI unit. As a tranny I have Toyota R154 with a Dodge Dakota bell. Just need to get my prob shaft from machine shop and snow away from streets to have a test drive...
Quite much work and small things to get sorted in this swap, but with a good planning and purchasing right parts not so bad after all.
BH23G1B TX9 5.7 Hemi+5-speed
JH23J0B FC7 4-speed
BS23R0B TX9 auto

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012 - 08:01:03 am »

Can you please explain what you think the limits are on a stock 5.7? we have pushed the stock 5.7 close to 500RWHP

Sure, with enough money. I've seen 1000 HP out of this engine, but it costs huge money. It's all about the money. at that level a 5.7 engine is getting close to being maxed out. Been through this before here, smaller engine at that level=won't do it for long...New Hemi..... Small Block Chevy bores with a dump truck crank in it, to get to 426 C.I.  Makes me think MAck truck, but that's just me. Not sure bout where you live, but round here, the yards want anywhere from $2500-$6500 for a new Hemi/trans...i can build one helluva 500 Stroker for that kinda coin...Again, it's just all in what you want..As for me, the "Real" Mopar Hemi will always have a place for a distributor.

Big engine at that level= will do it all day long...

Besides, it's not about the power output, it's about opinions on swapping... jumping on the bandwagon swapping newer Mercedes(Err Hemi) into your musclecar.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012 - 09:06:47 am by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Modern Muscle

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012 - 09:43:57 am »
Glad to see so many builds going on with this swap.

Offline chadb

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012 - 08:34:39 am »
just bought a 5.7 and auto tranny with all wiring and ecu to swap into my 71 cuda. Just wondering if anyone has any input of the difficulty of this install , will the tranny fit in the tunnel? Do i need the drive by wire pedal from the 08 truck this combo came from? any info appreciated, thanks, chad

Offline Fastd

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012 - 05:50:09 pm »
just bought a 5.7 and auto tranny with all wiring and ecu to swap into my 71 cuda. Just wondering if anyone has any input of the difficulty of this install , will the tranny fit in the tunnel? Do i need the drive by wire pedal from the 08 truck this combo came from? any info appreciated, thanks, chad

My understanding that the main difficulty lies in the communication to the transmission. I beleive it receives signals from speed sensor that also involve the ABS module in order to operate. I am aware of one member that has gone this route  CONV340, see link below to his build thread. the links is where he starts talking about the transmission then you can fo forward from there. In this post he talks about a company called PCS, the maker of custom trans controllers. I called them as I wanted to do this swap and was told they will not mess with the Nag1 anymore due the communication problems.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28388.msg500995#msg500995

I advise you to do your research. I opted to go convert my 70 Challenger to a 5-speed manual and intend to use the Passon unit when it becomes available.
I will also be using a 3 gen Hemi just not sure which one yet.

Todd
Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normals Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012 - 09:15:31 pm »
My 6.1 Hemi 6-speed  :burnout: I love it  :ylsuper:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Modern Muscle

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012 - 10:16:02 pm »
Very Nice great job  :woo: