Author Topic: New battery. Car will Not start.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Pcut83

New battery. Car will Not start.
« on: February 19, 2018 - 10:45:35 AM »
Hello all. I need a little help with an electrical issue I'm having with my 70 Cuda.  The battery on the car was going bad, so I hooked a charger up to it, and put a trickle charge on it over night.  The next morning, I go to start the car, the interior dome lights are working, but when I turn the key...Nothing.  Car wont even attempt to roll over even though the lights are working on the dash.  I figure the battery is just bad, so I just replace it with a new one. After installing the new battery, the car fires right and everything works perfectly.  This morning, I get in the car to take it work, turn the key and again, nothing.  I pop the hood and check the terminals. Tighten one that was a little loose, and then the car fires right up when I turn the key.  I turn the car back off again, and then immediately try to turn it back on, and the again...Nothing.  Any ideas of what could be causing this?  Seemed the car was working fine until I put the trickle charge on it.  Thanks in advance.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: New battery. Car will Not start.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018 - 12:28:28 PM »
Doubt the charger has anything to do with it; sounds to me like you have either loose connections and corroded ones. When you are messing with the battery you are moving the wires around but once it shuts off its losing connection. Look at every connection to include the ones on the starter. I had a very similar situation in my challenger and after changing batteries and checking everything I was convinced the starter was bad, got down to pull it and discovered the cable was loose; once tightened all was good.

There could be other things as well but they are less likely; start here and see if you can correct it. If not then you are onto looking for things like bad bulkhead connections, burned or broken wires under the dash, main ignition wire not making connect in the column connection (had this one too), etc.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Pcut83

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018 - 01:30:33 PM »
Thanks @70chall440.  I'll give it a shot when I get off work today. 

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018 - 02:26:15 PM »
Good luck, I am sure it is something simple.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)