Author Topic: Project Mz Hyde 1973 to 1970 Resto-Mod  (Read 404 times)

Offline DrEamer

Project Mz Hyde 1973 to 1970 Resto-Mod
« on: October 08, 2017 - 11:00:16 pm »
So here starts my restoration thread on my 1973 Chally. The plan is to convert it to a 1970, with some definite up grades to the power and handling. My plan is keep as much of the original flavor of the car, while making it more pleasurable to drive. The idea so far is the build a 470 stroker with a TBI EFI set up. Also, got to have AC for the summer months. Almost forgot, The name Mz. Hyde came from the fact that it started life as a mild mannered 1973 with a 318, but will be transformed into a beast. Mz. Hyde is also a song from one of my favorite bands. Okay, I have a crush on the lead singer too. :biggrin: Below is a link to the thread of when I purchased the car.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=120246.0

Of course, some pictures of how it looks now to kick things off.

Well, I had to start somewhere.

Offline Beekeeper

Re: Project Mz Hyde 1973 to 1970 Resto-Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017 - 07:16:56 am »
I see the seller included a big block cast iron HP manifold in the deal. Be sure to sell that as it's worth a few pennies to the right buyer. Might as well use the dough for some other part you'll need.

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017 - 12:45:59 pm »
I see the seller included a big block cast iron HP manifold in the deal. Be sure to sell that as it's worth a few pennies to the right buyer. Might as well use the dough for some other part you'll need.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was something special, just have not gotten around to looking anything up about it. In other news, I picked up a 400 CI engine off craigslist. I need to tear it down and get it sonic tested.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017 - 04:56:32 pm »
I assume you're only using the block on your striker build up?  Those 400 engines had such low compression that I can't see the engine getting overworked in its life. I suppose there could be damage if it was overheated much. It's probably going to check out good!

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017 - 09:03:59 pm »
I assume you're only using the block on your striker build up?  Those 400 engines had such low compression that I can't see the engine getting overworked in its life. I suppose there could be damage if it was overheated much. It's probably going to check out good!

That is correct, only using the block. I took it down to the bare block today. Measures stock bore, so happy about that. You are right about low compression, that piston sits a ways down in that cylinder. I did notice a couple of things while I was taking it down. First the heads have been off it at some point. I found Felpro head gaskets. Second, the timing chain  was loose, so probably some miles on it. That said, should clean up.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017 - 09:53:51 pm »
So when building a stroker, do you use a 440 crank and rods or do you have to buy an aftermarket crank and rods specifically for your build? I can see how it could get pricey if you are not able to reuse a lot of factory pieces in the build.

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017 - 11:37:49 pm »
The first 451 and 470's were exactly that, a modified 440 crank, with stock rods, or sometimes Chevy rods in the 470. The aftermarket has made it not much more for brand new stuff. The cost of machining original parts and doing them right can be expensive. A fully balanced kit from 440 Source is $2250, and $2700 from Muscle Motors. I like the kit from MM at little more in 470 since they use a longer rod, and seem to have a better reputation.     

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017 - 12:27:01 am »
Can't wait to see how you like the result

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017 - 11:43:28 pm »
Today I made another 500 mile round trip drive to get more parts. This time I found a listing on craigslist for a Challenger parts lot. He would not sell anything separately, so I had to take some things that I did not need. That said, I now have all the side glass it the green tint, grill, a factory left fender, extra oem quarter panel, all the rear tail light housings with lenses, and all the marker lights for the 1970 conversion. There are some pieces like the quarter panel that I don't need, but I can sell or trade them to keep things going forward.