Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 256 times)

Offline BEB67

Hello everyone!
« on: July 31, 2017 - 06:51:57 pm »
Hello all, I'm Christine from the Hudson Valley area, of New York.

As of yesterday I've taken possession of my father's 1967 Barracuda.  (He passed away in November).   I will be the first to admit I know zero about cars. Now I have this amazing vehicle, that needs a little love and I am overwhelmed as to a starting point.  I received the car yesterday, and I already have two puddles.  Something is leaking.  The mechanic that' has worked on this car told me, "its old, it leaks, check the fluids often" - but I don't like that answer, not after $17,000 of restoration work.  I'll be reading all I can, and will try to learn as much as possible... so please be patient with me. :)  As of right now, I'm just trying to identify the two leaky spots and find a mechanic in my area that is GOOD, and won't rip me off...  So basically the cliff notes are hello, and help. Haha.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017 - 07:14:48 pm »
The mechanic---"its old"  haha.;
Scratch that dh off your list.
What fluid and where does look like it is leaking?

post any pic of Barracuda is you can.
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017 - 07:24:01 pm »
Howdy & Welcome Christine  :wave:  .... Sorry for your loss.   Hopefully someone local to ya will chime in with a good recommendation.   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017 - 08:53:48 pm »
Welcome! Lots of good info and people willing to help.

judy

Offline BEB67

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017 - 10:27:52 pm »
From what I've been able to ascertain, I believe the rear leak is gear oil from the differential / pinion gasket, and the front leak is engine oil from the rear main seal.  So say my Facebook mechanic friends.   I have a lead on an old timer local mechanic who back in the day build and raced ONLY cuda's. Hopefully this is true, he's only 15 mins from me.   I tried to post an 8 second video, but apparently the file was too large. Same for photos, says the server can't upload them. 

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017 - 02:31:33 pm »
Welcome to the site!  Glad you signed up!

:thumbsup:

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017 - 07:47:48 pm »
Is it a coupe or fast back?
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline BEB67

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017 - 10:00:26 pm »
It's a convertable, with a 318 engine.  Red, with black stripes.  😊 I'll resize some photos and post them.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017 - 09:01:28 pm »
Welcome to the site from  :canada:. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but apparently your Dad was thinking of you right to the end. The pinion seal can be a PITA, but I took a punch and staked a mark on the pinion shaft and retaining nut, cranked the nut off, counting how many turns that took, pulled the seal and wound the nut back on and using a impact gun, re-aligned the marks and so far, no leaks. The rear main is another story requiring removal of the oil pan to start with. If you can find your Cuda guy, do your best to convince him to help you with it.   :wave: