Author Topic: rusted rocker panel  (Read 236 times)

Offline jim.k

rusted rocker panel
« on: July 21, 2017 - 04:53:38 pm »
like usual ya never know what you have until ya dig in. on my 73 cuda after cutting off most of the pass side quarter( from body line down) its rotted behind the lower quarter between door and wheel. gave up finding any rocker metal with a quarter inch of bondo gone after grinding at it .  lol   new rocker needed for sure. does the outer rocker panel extend behind the quarter panel to the wheel well ?? or is that a separate piece ?? 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: rusted rocker panel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017 - 05:31:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure the rocker "skin" stops at the quarter. My 73 was rusted out in that spot on both sides. Cut out the rot and patch in new metal.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017 - 12:33:58 am »
The rocker extends back to the 1/4 and has a recessed section under the 1/4 skin that runs very close to the 1/4 skin. My Challenger had rot there too. Just patch it and make sure the 1/4 goes over the patch easily.   :cheers:

Offline jim.k

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017 - 11:09:09 am »
its pretty bad in this area. did some web searching and found a hot rod article on replacement. I see how it is all structured now. going to get everything exposed to see exactly how far the rot goes. the inner rocker also is rotted some. "looks" like I can patch the inner up.  ill go ahead and buy a new outer rocker .  maybe just section in the back end of it . ill have to get a good look at the other side too. then order the rest of what I need all at once. already have the quarter skins , trunk drop downs and an outer wheel well for the pass side.  I tore into the pass side first because it is the worst area of the car.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/replace-rocker-panels-1971-plymouth-cuda/