Author Topic: WIW: 1970 PCP Challenger R/T clone  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Killer_Mopar

WIW: 1970 PCP Challenger R/T clone
« on: August 07, 2017 - 02:17:05 PM »
Would like feedback on my dad's car, which he's decided to sell since he just doesnt drive it much - probably a couple hundred miles in the last 5 years. Long story short, he's older and wants to get into something more of a 'cruiser' then a muscle car... plus he can always get his ebody fix driving my Challenger. At any rate, he's wanting to know what he can realistically get out of the car. We're near Cleveland and with the nationals around the corner, he thought about taking it there to sell as well.... so guess the questions are:

Slow sale price? (weeks to months)
Fast sale price? (next week)
Mopar Nats price?

Now for the details, the car started life as a 318/3-speed car....it now has a mildly built 340/4-speed and is cloned into an R/T. The old owner said the engine was rebuilt and when I added a cam, everything looked great and the car runs great so I believe him. All the following parts were added to the engine when the cam was installed (Guessing 2500 miles ago): 484 purpleshaft kit (cam, lifters, springs), pushrods, timing chain, torker intake, 670 holley carb, MP distributor, HP oil pump. The engine breathes through a set of hooker ceramic headers going into a 2" stainless steel magnaflow x-pipe system (has a nice growl, but not loud). The trans is an 23 spline 833 which was rebuilt last year and has a few hundred miles on it. Overall, the car runs great

As for the the body, it is in great condition and the last owner was the one who did the "resto" on it (~5 yrs old). He welded in new floor & trunk pans, passenger 1/4 panel, patched everything else up included parts of the frame (with thick plate), and added a set of frame connectors. The car was repainted 8-10 years ago for a couple reasons but basically because the R/T hood & valance were added and mostly because a bodyman owed my dad money. There are no issues with the body except 2 paint chips; 1 on the top corner (toward the headlight bucket) on the drivers fender and the other on body line on the passenger door, both of the chips have been touched up and are not very noticeable. As for the interior, the seats were redone back when the car was painted and are in perfect condition. The dash is a 71+ rallye dash and is in good condition, the tach isn't accurate so the car currently has a summit tach tied to the steering column. The carpet is in good condition, as are the door panels. The console could use a good makeover. Lastly, the shifter boot and bezel are absent as a Mr. Gasket shifter is on the car(great shifter) and it doesnt work with the boot.

Other things I want to quickly note:
Wheels & tires have a couple thousand miles on them
Car has air shocks in the rear
Trans has a slow oil leak, think out of the countershaft
Heater was bypassed and there isnt a shroud on the car (never gets anywhere near overheating)
Car has all the R/T stuff (rallye dash, hood, valance, and front sway)

Pictures are worth a thousand words so please see below!
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: WIW: 1970 PCP Challenger R/T clone
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017 - 01:47:33 PM »
Bump, surprised at no responses... Guess I'll take a stab:

Slow sale price? (weeks to months): 26k
Fast sale price? (next week): 20K
Mopar Nats price?: 23K

Anyone agree or have another opinion?

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017 - 01:52:23 PM »
I would shoot a little higher

Slow sale 30k
Fast sell.  23k
Mopar nats 25k
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017 - 06:18:26 PM »
Bump, surprised at no responses... Guess I'll take a stab:

Slow sale price? (weeks to months): 26k
Fast sale price? (next week): 20K
Mopar Nats price?: 23K

Anyone agree or have another opinion?

I actually think you are not far off. I watched a true 1970 RT/SE 383 car only bring $29,000 on eBay a few days ago, and it was in similar condition as yours. At 20K I would buy it in a heart beat, I'm just cash poor right now. :violin: So, a real selling price 22-26K should be good.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017 - 12:51:58 AM »
That's a nice car. I would try to hold out for closer to 30k.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017 - 02:23:02 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. There will be a for sale thread here shortly and if no interest, then probably to eBay after that. My dad will cut a deal to forum members so anyone interested, send a PM!

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017 - 12:09:41 PM »
Sweet
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other