Author Topic: Headers for 70 Barracuda  (Read 1782 times)

Offline money pit

Headers for 70 Barracuda
« on: November 01, 2018 - 10:41:22 PM »
I have a a 70 barracuda that was originally a slant six with power steering. I'm going to install a 74 360 in it. What is the best headers, that will fit without any modifications? Are the shorty headers worth getting? I would like to get original exhaust manifolds but the cost is the same as headers.  Thanks.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: Headers for 70 Barracuda
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018 - 11:09:11 PM »
I've got a 74 Challenger with a 360 in it and just used the cheapy Blackjack make, I think they were, headers and there's no issues whatsoever.  :cheers:

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Headers for 70 Barracuda
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018 - 11:48:58 PM »
I've used a few different brands/styles of headers over the years. In the old days Hooker super comps were the "go to header mainly because they had big primary tubes but always required some modification to get to fit. I've tried the shorty headers to never found any to work well without beating on at least one tube. I recently tried a set of Schumacher tri-Y headers on my BB Challenger and I was very impressed with the fit. I have TTI on my SB Cuda and they fit awesome, but are not cheap.

It all depends on what you are trying to get out of them, if this is a performance build then you will want decent header, but if it just for a "little extra" then you could probably use whatever, but you could argue why not just use manifolds then.

I will say this, whatever you decide to use (other than manifolds) I highly recommend getting coated headers. I am not sure where you live but if its anything like the Pacific NW, painted headers will rust within 6 months.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)