Author Topic: Who would you have build your stroker 451???  (Read 9626 times)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
Re: Who would you have build your stroker 451???
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015 - 03:05:52 PM »

As Cryco said, anyone can learn to build a motor as it's really not that hard.

The critical part is the checking the block, proper machining of the block, matching components and fitment of everything. Hence you should hire a very reputable machine shop to do your work at a minimum. I have seen all sorts of crazy s**t thrown together and folks have said Wow I paid a ton of dough and got this.

Think of it this way, if your machine shop is hired to do valvetrain for your motor and they don't check PTV clearance you might as well throw a stick of dynamite in the oil pain and light it off.

:roflsmiley:
B
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline 4406v

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015 - 03:23:31 PM »
This is my point. I have built and rebuilt cars my whole life since I was 12 (I'm 51) I've been into engines and replaced heads, cams etc but never completely built one from scratch. I don't have the time to learn all of the tricks now and I don't want to wait to have the engine I want. If I spend say $5K on QUALITY machining and parts I can probably end up with a good engine. If not I get to start the process ALL OVER. ( My ego can handle saying "The guys at ---------- built the engine" I did the rest.

If I hire a guy or company that does this ALL THE TIME I am more likely to get a good engine the first time.

The last thing I want is to stand on it and hold my breath waiting for the BANG!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015 - 03:58:32 PM by 4406v »
"Live for today, Tomorrow never comes"

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015 - 03:46:50 PM »
Ron,

All things considered, I think that maybe the best thing to do is for you to sell me your car and just forgo the whole engine building thing altogether! :bigsmile:
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015 - 08:51:18 PM »
I build all my own, and a bunch for customers. In fact had a hand (or two) in Tommyg29's Cuda's 440+6 (that is my old high school car). I've got several 451s in my background, plsu some 512s, 471s, and the standard 440s and 383s. Any non-factory stroke package will have it's own specialized issues to overcome. From poorly machined parts to physical interference to matching components that are all aftermarket and not as simple as "plug-and-play". What this means is you need a builder you can trust, and who you can relate to. Muscle Motors does great work, and sell a decent package if they don't build it. The last 496 I did had a rotating assembly from them. While not perfect (and I'm picky) it was very nice overall.

The engine is not the sum of it's parts, but the sum of the parts, the machining, and the assembly. So get them right and work with someone that you can talk to and more importantly challenges you with questions rather than just telling you what you need.

Avoid Hughes. Avoid Indy (yes- negative personal experience with parts and fixing customer's Indy crate engines). Avoid builders that put up fantastic numbers on the web. Like anything else - if it's too good to be true it probably is. Understand these engines have been under development for 50 years now and there's plenty of data points to compare to.
The old adage: Fast, Reliable, Cheap: pick any two because you can't have all three.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015 - 08:53:13 PM by moper »

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015 - 02:07:34 PM »
Hi Moper,
In case you didnt know, I sold the 440-6 to all4rocks in California a few months back.
Last I heard he was going to replace with a 472 Nascar hemi. I thought the 30 over 440 was a great motor, but he has different plans.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015 - 08:16:42 PM »
I build my own as well , I also do all the porting , but I have a good machinist I work with that handles that part , we have made some serious #s in both power & efficiency

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015 - 10:19:17 PM »
Hi Moper,
In case you didnt know, I sold the 440-6 to all4rocks in California a few months back.
Last I heard he was going to replace with a 472 Nascar hemi. I thought the 30 over 440 was a great motor, but he has different plans.

Well, everybody has their own idea of "fun"...lol. Cool to hear it's now gone coast to coast. I sleep better knowing it's still in good hands!

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015 - 11:55:01 AM »

Heck since he is in my neck of the woods maybe I'll take the 440 off his hands.
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015 - 05:11:33 AM »
So now I've decided on the engine I want. A 451 stroker is my choice after listening to the pros and cons. Seems like the perfect combination.

Question is who would you have build it? Or have you had build you an engine with great results?

Moparal built the 493 in my cuda and it makes awesome power.  I'm guessing it has close to 600hp with all the best parts deployment money can buy. 

I would absolutely use him again!  Even my Dad is taking his AMC engine to him to get upgraded. 

Alan was even able to squeeze a large high rise intake and large carb under a two scoops hood with no rubbing.  I didn't think that was possible.

Alan is a great guy and will make your head spin with all the mopar knowledge he has. 

Here is a video of my cuda with the 493 added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coxFJSaxCQg

Good luck, let us know who you go with and the final displacement you settle on.

Don
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015 - 06:50:44 PM by The Cuda Guy »
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline CUDA8U

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016 - 12:09:43 AM »
 I realize this an old topic but I have always wanted to build my own engine under guidance of course,I even hinted around at a shop in Edmonton that I would put in some free time to learn and be beside a builder from start to finish on a mopar BB.I offered my welding skills as payment just to learn but they didnt seem interested,I know as a journeyman I enjoy teaching guys who actually want to learn how.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016 - 12:46:13 AM »
My Machinist is in Red Deer , I can supply contact info

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016 - 12:55:15 AM »

I have no issues with Eric @ Muscle Motors either .

Did you ever hear the story on the Hemi stroker crankshaft they sent me?
It looked like Swiss Cheese.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016 - 08:47:30 PM »
Building  looks real easy on tv shows. Like, there's nothing to it.
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016 - 02:01:45 PM »
Lookup Mendez Motorsports
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets