Author Topic: Ont. Historic Plate Crackdown  (Read 1336 times)

Online JayBee

• Resident
Ont. Historic Plate Crackdown
« on: May 13, 2017 - 11:23:06 AM »
This came to me in an email from a friend who's on Facebook. I don't think it's an isolated case. In the comments section an insurance broker wrote that in the last couple weeks he's had calls from a few of his classic car clients (with historic Ontario plates) and three were even ticketed. Just passing on this info.

Ok, to all my classic car friends in Ontario.
Today our Mustang was pulled over and was ticketed for wrongful use of Historic Plates.
The law on Historic Plates is very defined to going to a registered repair shop, sanctioned car show, sanctioned cruise night and test drive for sale.
The vehicle must not be modified from the vehicle identification number as well.
We and many of our friends go out for drives to see the fall colours etc, this is illegal to do with these plates.
Nearly every car show and cruise night is not sanctioned and is illegal. Unless the event is a registered automotive business or has event permits for a car show with the city which also requires approval of zoning and appropriate insurance it is an illegal event private property or not.
The officer that pulled us over allowed us to have 48hrs to get regular plates or pay the $170 fine for improper use.
The officer stated they can not enter the private property to ticket but can get us when you leave of heading to the event.
We have been a part of the classic car world for a long time and have never had this happen and I would think it is a rarity, but apparently it is on the radar for this year.
For those who know our Mustang, 😉 he didn't ask to see under the hood 😎
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: Ont. Historic Plate Crackdown
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017 - 12:49:19 PM »
Sad, another way for Government to dip into your pocket.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017 - 11:19:26 PM »
Maryland allows any vehiclewith 20 years or older can get historic tags.
These people that own 1997 cars and pickup trucks clunkers drive their vehicles everyday and are
ruining it for us that obey the rules.
 These people do not even know any thing about 70's or older classic, muscle cars.
They get the tags because it is only 51 dollars for two years. Without historic  tags it is 181 dollars for two years.

We can drive to cruising nights,  car shows any day of the week and holidays, test drive, drive on weekends.
As long as you do not use it as a work vehicle or drove it daily.
Jaybee can you prove to the law that you are just test driving it after mechanical work?

I was stopped on the way home from a car show on a Sunday for speeding over 8 mph and the officer gave me a warning.
When he got to the driver door he looked inside.
I think he wanted to see if I had on my seat belt. An I did....
The local officers knows a lot of us and the car clubs that contribute to the community and fun raisers.
Your cop must be a d---?   What year is your mustang?
 Our local Car Club is allowing any car with historic tags into the Saturday night cruise in the past 3 years.
You pay 2 dollars to attend to pay for the porta pots and insurance at the local Mall.
In the past No car newer that 1978 were allowed to attend.

:wavingflag:

1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017 - 07:04:09 AM »
 Really?!? Hassling old guys in old cars..
I'm willing to bet that cop(s) didn't get into law enforcement to do that kind of work.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017 - 08:15:08 AM »

Jaybee can you prove to the law that you are just test driving it after mechanical work?

What year is your mustang?

I put about 4k miles a season on it, it would be real hard to convince the cops I'm test driving everytime even though that's what I'll try.
Not my Mustang, that Facebook entry was emailed to me from a friend.

John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017 - 08:39:56 AM »
I drove my Challenger in my avatar from Kansas down to Oklahoma City and across to California with Antique Plates on it. Going through Texas and New Mexico I was followed by several different Police cars but not pulled over, one even in Texas after following me for about 5 minutes pulled out and pulled another car over which was in front of me. I had just bought it and driving it to California for shipping to Australia, it was still registered to the previous owner in Kansas.   :bigsmile:
Dave