Author Topic: 5.7 Hemi Timing Chain Recall  (Read 2904 times)

Offline joes74challenger

5.7 Hemi Timing Chain Recall
« on: March 24, 2017 - 09:02:24 AM »
I just read about this today and thought i'd post in case anyone with a 5.7 Hemi hasn't heard about this one: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/chrysler-hemi-timing-chain-defect/

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: 5.7 Hemi Timing Chain Recall
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017 - 03:47:37 PM »
That was on the pre-2013's. Hopefully everyone that owns one has had that taken care of by now. That's a biggie.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017 - 05:43:41 PM »
I have a base R/T  I  am the 2nd owner so the MDS was on when I bout it then I sut it off,but the car always had a minor stumble,I never thought anything, but then had the timing chain done,as per recall notice took 3 days , and the car has alot more snap,and the stumble is gone, how ever they nicked the radiator,so they had to replace that,cool I have a new radiator at 67k mile, then the car over heated yesterday, loosing coolant and the car has been flawless the for 4 years,so I assumed it was something they did, and sure enough the fan was not working,after the car cooled down,I found the fan was not plugged in,plugged it in ,topped it off with water,  got home ,took it back to the dealer they flushed it out, and made things right, man they kinda took it in the shorts ,but they stuck by their work and all is good car runs great,and it is over :violin:

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017 - 08:31:40 PM »
I have a base R/T  I  am the 2nd owner so the MDS was on when I bout it then I sut it off,but the car always had a minor stumble,I never thought anything, but then had the timing chain done,as per recall notice took 3 days , and the car has alot more snap,and the stumble is gone, how ever they nicked the radiator,so they had to replace that,cool I have a new radiator at 67k mile, then the car over heated yesterday, loosing coolant and the car has been flawless the for 4 years,so I assumed it was something they did, and sure enough the fan was not working,after the car cooled down,I found the fan was not plugged in,plugged it in ,topped it off with water,  got home ,took it back to the dealer they flushed it out, and made things right, man they kinda took it in the shorts ,but they stuck by their work and all is good car runs great,and it is over :violin:

Noticed your avatar picture.
Is that building still standing In Cisco???  Do you live near aboutl.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017 - 08:33:28 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017 - 10:39:49 PM »
I bought a 2012 RT Classic a couple weeks ago. Found out last week that this recall is outstanding on the car. Don't know why the selling dealer wouldn't have done that. It goes in to the local dealer tomorrow morning.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017 - 03:12:17 PM »
I have a 2012 Ram 5.7 auto with the MDS that has never had this recall.....wonder why the truck engine would be different in that regard to the car engine?

Offline 750-h2

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017 - 05:07:54 PM »
MDS in trucks does not come on nearly as often as cars. 

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017 - 07:31:13 AM »
MDS in trucks does not come on nearly as often as cars.

I dont know.....seems like my Ram is ALWAYS going into that mode and I hate it......

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017 - 09:29:38 AM »
Noticed your avatar picture.
Is that building still standing In Cisco???  Do you live near aboutl.

Sorry for the late reply, I live in Denver and this was one of the V.P. road trips we did a few years back and yes the shot is from Cisco Utah

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017 - 04:42:38 PM »
FWIW, just had the timing chain go out on my 2013 Charger Daytona - happened under the same scenario most experience... was going 70-75 w/ MDS kicked in. The TSB is 09-12, but heard they extended it to some 2013s - mine didnt show as part of it, but proof is in the pudding. Speculation is it happens because of a vibration at a certain RPM range caused by MDS, happens on Challenger more often because the 3.06 gearing puts it in the right range... Daytona's have 3.06 gears too so can see why it happened to me. At any rate, they covered it under warranty...
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017 - 06:20:35 PM »
FWIW, just had the timing chain go out on my 2013 Charger Daytona - happened under the same scenario most experience... was going 70-75 w/ MDS kicked in. The TSB is 09-12, but heard they extended it to some 2013s - mine didnt show as part of it, but proof is in the pudding. Speculation is it happens because of a vibration at a certain RPM range caused by MDS, happens on Challenger more often because the 3.06 gearing puts it in the right range... Daytona's have 3.06 gears too so can see why it happened to me. At any rate, they covered it under warranty...

Wow dam glad they covered it, I wonder if shutting my mds off 4 years ago and some 50k miles maybe that bought some time,oh well they fixed it and you are back on the road,good to know :cheers: