Author Topic: Historical Letter  (Read 1734 times)

Offline chaosrob

Historical Letter
« on: July 10, 2019 - 11:15:09 PM »
I was curious if there is anyway to get a report detailing the number manufactured of as ordered.  I have a 1970 Barracuda I would love to get a letter for.  The fender tag is intact  and no build sheet was included or found in the car. 

I did perform a search but could not find the information I was looking for.  If it is a well covered topic I apologize.  TIA

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Historical Letter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019 - 11:36:12 PM »
There are a few "services" or companies out there that do this (Chrysler definitely doesn't). Some of them are better than others, I have never used one of them as you can do most of the research yourself to a point. Mopar did not keep records on how many of a specific build was made, mainly because there are so many variables and at the time they didn't care. Depending on how far down the option list you want to do, almost everyone of them is almost a "one of one" or low number, but there isn't any way to prove that. What the companies do is maintain a registry of "known" cars, meaning cars that they have evidence of having existed or exists. From there, they take the actual production numbers (how many X model with Y engine and Z trans in T color were made), do some extrapolation and arrive at a probability of number built in a specific way. Its a little more complicated than this as there are some other indicators that they have like how many 6 way seat cars were built, how many stereo package cars, etc. (these are hypothetical).

Like I said, you can do a lot of this yourself, but you want a letter you are going to have to pay someone to do it. Also, research the company before paying them, they are not all the same.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline chaosrob

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019 - 11:41:27 PM »
Much appreciated sir.  With that response I will just stay with what I know from the fender tag.  I bought it to enjoy anyway, not collect so it shouldn't matter to me anyway (I just like to have as much info as possible)

There are a few "services" or companies out there that do this (Chrysler definitely doesn't). Some of them are better than others, I have never used one of them as you can do most of the research yourself to a point. Mopar did not keep records on how many of a specific build was made, mainly because there are so many variables and at the time they didn't care. Depending on how far down the option list you want to do, almost everyone of them is almost a "one of one" or low number, but there isn't any way to prove that. What the companies do is maintain a registry of "known" cars, meaning cars that they have evidence of having existed or exists. From there, they take the actual production numbers (how many X model with Y engine and Z trans in T color were made), do some extrapolation and arrive at a probability of number built in a specific way. Its a little more complicated than this as there are some other indicators that they have like how many 6 way seat cars were built, how many stereo package cars, etc. (these are hypothetical).

Like I said, you can do a lot of this yourself, but you want a letter you are going to have to pay someone to do it. Also, research the company before paying them, they are not all the same.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019 - 11:43:42 PM »
I completely understand. I suspect you have decoded the tag correct? If there is something on there you find odd or interesting, post here and ask if it was common or not.
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline chaosrob

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019 - 11:53:38 PM »
Yes I have and it all appear to match quite well to the car.
BH Car
4-speed
3.91 83/4 sure grip rear
Elastomeric  bumpers front and rear
Rallye Cluster
Hood

Basically it appears to be a Cuda without being a Cuda
I completely understand. I suspect you have decoded the tag correct? If there is something on there you find odd or interesting, post here and ask if it was common or not.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019 - 11:59:33 PM »
Sounds like a very interesting car, much like a A66 Challenger, essentially an RT without being an RT. Post some pictures, there are some really knowledgeable guys on here about options
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline chaosrob

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019 - 12:03:36 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting car, much like a A66 Challenger, essentially an RT without being an RT. Post some pictures, there are some really knowledgeable guys on here about options

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019 - 12:09:11 PM »
Beautiful car  :wow:
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline chaosrob

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019 - 05:12:35 PM »
Thank you sir, I like it quite a bit
Beautiful car  :wow:

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019 - 12:07:54 AM »
Sweet ride! 

Would really like to see your fender tag readout. 

Who's car was it before?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee