Looks like a nice project 340chalconvert, looking forward to seeing it all shined up
Thought I'd post some updates. I feel better these days and I think its in part to forcing myself to get back into what I love doing... wrenching on cars.
I'm continuing to scour the area for parts and just found the 4973 carb I've been looking for at a pretty good price. Still trying to get a block with a closer assy/ cast date or a warranty block but that's just for fun to see how close I can get.
Unfortunately I took the convertible top to the *wrong* place for blasting and painting. Had to have them re-blast it to get all their paint drips off and now its at my friends place to get painted correctly. I won't name names because they did what I asked to correct the situation without argument.
Also the first guy that re-built the rear diff didn't fill the pits in the yoke so that came back out as it started leaking immediately. Odd note, the new guy I have rebuilding the diff for me is great but said he'd never seen a case like mine. Its a 741 case, which my books say was used on 71 340 e bodies although usually in non-performance cars, and he said usually they have a different pad with the date on them. Mine has a stamp on the rough cast side with the gear and the assembly date 10/29/70. So I thought that was kind of cool. We also worked out all the gearing in the front and rear so I get some good low end while still having a nice highway gear.
Sent the steering box out to firm feel. I was going to do a rebuild myself but they seemed to be able to be able to get a better result through the ball sizing and machining work they do. Did this so I can get the steering column in so we can get it on the trailer and take it to my friend's were he is going to spray the organosol and I also got the proper textured argent for the grill from Gibson restorations. Saw Cody's organosol video too and looked impressive so if the Gibson product doesn't look the part, my friend studied Cody's technique too.
Used the Year One bucket seat foam and covers and aside from the first foam set being ripped in half and glued back together, then waiting for months for a replacement from them, I found it pretty good. It was my first time doing upholstery and for a complete novice, it turned out ok. My fingers are destroyed, but I'm happy with the result although a pro could have done better I'm sure. Because I'm short I actually stuck an extra 2" of foam in the base so the seat does poof up a little on the drivers side.
I also took a long time tackling the steering wheel. It was in the same shape as many I've seen. Grain and stain still present on parts while worn smooth to the tan plastic over 50% of it. I've read several posts and articles on various techniques but I didn't want to sand down the wheel and loose the grain that wasn't worn away. I also discovered a past owner had engraved "Tricia" in the wheel, then tried to scrape it out
Maybe a past love turned X? Anyway, I thought it was a great little part of the car's history and I wanted to keep it intact. I decided to use an xacto scalpel and cut each missing grain back into the surface of the wheel which actually only took one night while watching TV with the wife. Then I bought several different stains and sampled and mixed until I found a formula that matched the original stain color that still existed on the wheel. First I rubbed a thick dark ebony stain into the cuts I made and wiped off the excess. Then I went over the whole wheel with the lighter stain mixture I made up and was really happy with the results. To finish the process I clear coated the wheel with 4 coats. Small successes. Tried attaching photos and it didn't work I'll try again here...
Anyway, lots of parts are starting to find their way on to the car finally and we are moving at a better pace now. I'll post more in the next few weeks.