Author Topic: I'm the Dreamer no more, bought my Challenger today!!!!  (Read 467 times)

Offline chargerdon

Re: I'm the Dreamer no more, bought my Challenger today!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017 - 12:14:55 am »
Congrats...   I did the same as you...bought a 74 and was going to change it to a 71 front end...  Nixed that idea when i added up all it was going to cost..  about $4,000 for the new fenders and grill and trim.   

Kinda like the dash...standard dash ...was going to replace it with the rally dash...   again..nixed that idea when i realized that it was going to cost in excess of $2k for the complete rally dash, and gauges..   Nothing wrong with the standard dash. 

ps...its a lot of hard work...but when finished...   wow..the pride of doing it !!   Take your time and it will come out right.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017 - 02:40:23 am »
Thanks for the advice, you have given solid advise to me in the past when I first joined the forum. You may not remember what you said, but it was about me looking for a car in the first place.  Here was your quote:

"The right deal really does come along at times but the people who are able to make their dream materialize are the ones who have cash ready to go and also don't spend too much time kicking tires. Figure out what your budget is and have that cash in an envelope in your safe if you can.

E body cars are super hot so try to learn what you can about values and problems to avoid ahead of time so when that special deal comes along, you can quickly assess and pull the trigger before someone has a chance to buy it out from under you. None of us enjoy hearing the story about "I could've" or "I should've." We love seeing follow up posts with pictures of the new car you just scored much more!"

Funny how that exactly worked out.

As far as my skill set, I have built a couple of race cars, and worked in an alignment shop for a couple of years. So, I enjoy engine work , plus can handle most suspension and brake work. My weakness is body and paint, but I have a couple of friends that do it on the side. I also have a couple of friends that own restoration/hot rod shops if I need a professional. At this point money and time will most likely hold me back more then anything.

I'm kinda surprised that you remember that post. I forgot about it until now. I am happy though that you found the advice helpful. I wouldn't even reveal what you paid. It's not important if your happy with the deal. I've found when you do reveal those details, someone rains on your parade and you end up feeling bummed that you might have gotten a bad deal after all. Whatever you paid will eventually be forgotten and definitely overshadowed by the money you will starting investing in it from here on.

Until very recently, I was where your at...lots of experience turning wrenches but not so good at paint and body. Don't be afraid to try your hand at the metal work. I'm doing a lot of metal work on my 70 and I find it extremely rewarding when I finish repairing a rusted out area. Lots of great advice from good people here on this forum regarding that subject. I tried paint and body work on my 64 Vette. It came out nice but man that is back breaking miserable work in my opinion. I'll stick to metal work. With any luck, maybe someday I'll find a paint guy who would trade me for metal work.

I can't wait to see some of your future posts as you work on the new project.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017 - 01:49:51 am »
I thought that I would do one last update on the car. The picture below is of the driver who brought my 73 down, so it is at home now! He said he had all sorts of people staring at the car while it made its 250 mile journey to my house. When he stopped to get gas station, the attendant and a few others were asking about the car. My wife and I made the 500 mile round trip to pick up the last of the parts today. I finely had the chance to meet the seller. It was sort of a sad reason why they had to sell, but I promised to send pictures when it gets completed.  Overall, I'm happy with the car, and the deal I made. So now it is time to step back, take a deep breath, and dig in a little at a time.  8)
Well, I had to start somewhere.