Author Topic: My installation experience with a Cold-Case radiator  (Read 241 times)

Offline Raycudamopar

My installation experience with a Cold-Case radiator
« on: August 11, 2017 - 03:10:18 pm »
Cold-Case Mopar Radiator installation

Better late than never!
My super positive experience, installing a Cold-Case aluminum radiator in my 1971 Barracuda pictures included.
Was having what I thought were radiator overheating problems with my aluminum Champion 4 row radiator that came with the car originally at purchase as fairly new.
After much ado I found out that the engine may have a blown head gasket so the radiator was not the factor for the extreme overheating issues.
I posted on my Mopar forums the problems I was having with another radiator company I tried and their lack of customer service.
That is when a representative from Cold-Case Radiators graciously reached out to me with an offer to try their radiator and that they would work with me and the Mopar community to address any fitment issues so that they would be able to sell us a product that fit right the first time hereafter.
Long story short I bought the radiator and installed. It was way easier than I thought. When I opened the well packaged box I was impressed on how well it looked already polished. They can be painted black for those that like or prefer the stock look. Once painted would be hard to tell it was not an original old Mopar style radiator. Also came with a fancy aluminum billet radiator cap.
The radiator pretty much fit as is but the holes at one end of the radiator support were not in the correct location.  I had to drill 2 new holes.
Here is the BIG difference between the prior radiator company and Cold-Case, Cold-Case offered from the beginning to replace it with a correct fitting one if it did not fit right. The other more expensive radiator manufacturer said to just stop complaining about the little things, drill holes and live with it. 
Cold-Case just asked me to give them the correct measurements in order to do so. So I will replace it with the new one when it comes in and report on that installation in the future.
I will insert pictures in order from the way it was packaged, opening, and preparation to final installation in installments. If any questions, I can answer them before proceeding to the next steps, in the pictures below them.
Technical data:
With Champion 4 row temperatures would reach up to 230 if ran more than a half hour in idle and about from 190 to 200 on the highway. Once off the freeway and onto the street would quickly overheat to around 220.
Under the same conditions the Cold-Case 2 row temperatures would only be 210 at idle and down to 180 to 190 on highway. Once off the freeway and onto the street would heat up to around 200.
 Even with the overheating engine problem quite a big difference in temperature range.
I know I have to fix the underlying engine problem but at least in my mind it shows that even under those conditions, at least in my case the new radiator lessens the overheating problem.
The way it was when I bought it. Except with new chrome top radiator hose and removed chrome 5 radiator shroud.

Offline Raycudamopar

Re: My installation experience with a Cold-Case radiator
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017 - 03:37:44 pm »
The Cold-Case unpacking

Offline larry4406

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017 - 07:29:52 am »
Nice write up and looking radiator.  Thanks

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017 - 03:22:32 pm »
Nice write up and looking radiator.  Thanks

Thanks, hope this thread helps our forum

Some easy prep installing automatic trans cooler lines. Also some installed pics with aforementioned hole placement shown.

I need to clarify that the transmission lines on my particular car had been cut that way because instead of an OEM 727 automatic transmission I have an upgraded A518 modern overdrive transmission.

So that is not an issue with the Cold-Case radiator but with my customized transmission.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017 - 07:17:37 pm by Raycudamopar »

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017 - 03:45:05 pm »
Some installed showing hole placement

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017 - 12:50:33 pm »
Might try running a proper shroud.... will definitely help with cooling
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline DocMel

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017 - 01:59:34 pm »
"With Champion 4 row temperatures would reach up to 230 if ran more than a half hour in idle and about from 190 to 200 on the highway. Once off the freeway and onto the street would quickly overheat to around 220.
Under the same conditions the Cold-Case 2 row temperatures would only be 210 at idle and down to 180 to 190 on highway. Once off the freeway and onto the street would heat up to around 200.
 Even with the overheating engine problem quite a big difference in temperature range."

None of the above are overheating temps?

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017 - 05:05:56 pm »
Might try running a proper shroud.... will definitely help with cooling

That is coming soon just waiting for the replacement radiator so don't have to install twice.

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017 - 05:09:23 pm »
"With Champion 4 row temperatures would reach up to 230 if ran more than a half hour in idle and about from 190 to 200 on the highway. Once off the freeway and onto the street would quickly overheat to around 220.
 Even with the overheating engine problem quite a big difference in temperature range."

None of the above are overheating temps?

Might be wrong but my understanding is that iron block and heads older engines as compared to aluminum block and heads and better alloys does put it into overheating territory.

What temperature does an engine have to reach to be considered "overheated?"

For gasoline engines, the typical application produced in recent years will have a temperature range of roughly 195 to 220 degrees F. This is considered "normal" operating range. A gasoline engine can be considered to enter into overheated conditions at 230-240 degrees F, with serious damage starting to occur around 250+ degrees F.

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017 - 05:11:06 pm »
While at it I decided to put a replacement OEM wiper liquid reservoir and use it for its intended purpose and not like some who I have seen use it for a radiator overflow tank instead.
My understanding is that not until '73 or '74 did they even have an overflow tank it just ran from the radiator nipple to the street from '70 to '72.
Below is my setup for both. Mopar put it between the battery and the engine which I did not like.
Notice it also lets me see the anti-freeze level at a glance from the front radiator support hole.

Online Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017 - 05:13:14 pm »
Does the stock shroud bolt up without mods?

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017 - 05:37:33 pm »
Nice write-up and pics.... I've never heard of ColdCase before... it looks like a quality radiator... nice upper tank with the radiused edging!

I think a fan shroud will help you immediately, as well as to consider a wider blade fan.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017 - 12:47:18 pm »
Speaking for myself, if any of my iron block/head engines get near 220 I am beginning to get concerned. I like my engines to run right around where the T-stat is rated (185-195), a "little" hotter in warm weather is ok, but much above 220 and its going to overheat; 250 (for me) is way too hot and bad things are about to happen.

I know modern engines live at 200-220 and that's fine as they are designed around it, but old school muscle wasn't.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017 - 06:11:15 pm »
I have contacted Cold-Case and they will be commenting on the fan shroud and any other questions regarding their radiators.

Offline Raycudamopar

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017 - 06:12:31 pm »
Installation of Mopar 7 blade clutch fan and clutch fan assembly. Seems to be the perfect distance so just awaiting to install OEM fan shroud.
I used Grade 8 bolts for added piece of mind.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017 - 06:14:57 pm by Raycudamopar »