Author Topic: Edlebrock 750 vs Street Demon 750  (Read 684 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Edlebrock 750 vs Street Demon 750
« on: June 26, 2017 - 10:24:09 pm »
Well I,am still having issues with the Edlebrock carb.  Am thinking of ordering another one just like it OR....changing to,the Street Demon carb.   I,welcome all opinions.   Thanks, Dave.
Dave or David

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Edlebrock 750 vs Street Demon 750
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017 - 11:02:44 pm »
Out of all the carb posts I've read, I haven't heard of a single person who has gotten a 750 Edelbrock to work. Something with that carb just doesn't work right.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017 - 11:25:23 pm »
Eddy 1401 my Favorite carb or any of the afb series

To use as a paper weight or hold a trash bin down !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017 - 04:22:03 pm »
Well I had a reply on my email from a member on another forum..... and he said that both Eddy and Street Demon are not too good.  Recommended a Proform carb...........I looked but they are about twice as expensive as the others.........any thoughts on that carb?
Dave or David

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017 - 09:48:49 pm »
Lots of Edelbrock carbs are sold.  I can't believe the entire line is junk.  I've just never heard anything good about the 750 version.  I've got a 650 Thunder series so I hope I don't have major problems with it.  The thunder series are adjustable.  Edelbrock has a version that is not.  I'd probably stay away from that one.  I'm drawing a blank at the moment on what they call that series.

Offline CUDA8U

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017 - 09:12:56 pm »
 I had an eddy 750 0n my old 440,approx 500hp.I could tell there was more power waiting to be unleashed.I put a holley 850,tuned it and I swear i gained a min 50hp and the throttle response was insane.My current 512 stroker has duel eddy 600's and I hate them for tuning. I am going efi next.

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017 - 11:08:59 pm »
I took off an Edelbrock and installed a Street Demon. Man what a difference!  I'm sold on the brand and plan to use another one on my next build.

Offline Aracer

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017 - 01:41:18 am »
cuda8 , you put a bigger Holley, that's why you like it, you should have tried the 800 Eddy, if you want to install it and forget about the, every 2 year tune ups. Many people that store their hot rods use the Eddys for reliability.

The 1411 Edelbrock 750 weighted secondary restriction is always going to react the same, a spring restricted secondary is stupid, since it will not act the same in different temperatures.  The Holley springs are flighty.  The Eddy has a feature that when WOT it pulls open the weighted door a bit. And it is directly opening the secondary, and letting the weighted door open on demand.  Holley is only opened when vacuum rises. The Holley power valve has to be changed every two years along with the pump diaphragms, the bowl gaskets can fail and dump fuel, not so on the Eddy.
     A Spring is what restricts the Holley Vacuum secondary, and it's what sucks about tuning them. The quick spring change pod is nice to work with, but you have to test the weight it takes to compress by using a kitchen scale to press on and watch for weight on the dial at 5/8" tall. The springs that work are in the, 3/4 pound to 1.5, the silver full length. The Holley rear jets need to be 82-84, unlike the plates that are #76 in the list#3310.
     The #1411 needs larger needle/seats. And is why some don't like it out of the box, for racing
   The enrichment is made by vacuum drawing up a tapered pin in the jet,  by springs that are rated by vacuum, the stock ones are fine @ 5hgs. I found that the Eddy is more drive-able, it reminded me of 1972, driving my stock 1966 Caprice 327. The choke is very easy to adj. and the rods are heavier  than Holley. Holley chokes are more restrictive at WOT. Thus the need for Proform body's. The Eddy fuel line must be changed to the chrome upgrade to work with existing Holley style pluming. 
     I think the Eddy fuel pump is superior, umbrella, similar to factory 2 bbl, it is instant. The Holleys have to set a steel ball or force through rubber plug on the bowl to start. And lift a weight under the squirts.
      I found that the vacuum Holley will run the rpms up going around a turn when I don't want, then I have to feather back the gas. Eddy did not creep up and was very stable. For that reason I like the Holley double pumper on the street better, and for consistent ET's I like the #3310 Vac. sec. The Eddy 750 was also giving consistent ET's
     The 1411 is available for $249.00 from Advance Auto Parts, a friggin deal, all others want $330+,, it's dropped sipped from Edelbrock near LA. CA. search E-bay, & Amozone. Those other brands are over $400.

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017 - 07:47:21 pm »
Well, bottom line now is that I bought a Quick Fuel 750. Installed and out of the box, better than the Eddy.  I have driven only a bit due to, hectic  schedule so I can't give a total report yet , but in time I will.  Thanks for the replies.
Dave or David

Offline Aracer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017 - 02:43:24 pm »
It's another Holley. I built one last year from old parts on a Pro comp 900 cfm. cost $85 for the body, $65 for the base plate throttles the biggest before a 1050. Used Quick fuel $80 front jet plate / slew of emulsion jets and big idle restrictions. used a 3310 Holley's front jet plate on the back / pv plug. It was a 3 circuit / 2 c. gaskets blocking the extra feeds. It was easy to find the recipe. I used 650 DP meter blocks / opened up emulsion hole on other trials. Used fuel bowls / ball checks. Jetting and air bleeds are all documented on various new QF cfms. Still it's a PV/ fuel pump diaphragm eating gas waster. 10 mph. Too big, it had a imperceptible bog off the line. It go's faster, after 2g. I'll try it on my 440, next, before I sell it for $375 ebay.
  It would be nice if anyone else understands how the Eddy's work, spoke up. They make millions selling them. I know the tune options are complex but it works smoother than a power valve equipped  Holley design. The free Eddy books are filled / charts and specs. unlike a Holley.

Offline YO7_A66

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017 - 08:35:32 am »
 ""I bought a Quick Fuel 750.""

Which 750 did you buy? I have their SS-750-AN DP carb on my 340. I have had it for about 7 years or so and I love it.

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017 - 04:29:01 pm »
""I bought a Quick Fuel 750.""

Which 750 did you buy? I have their SS-750-AN DP carb on my 340. I have had it for about 7 years or so and I love it.

Slayer 750VSQFT
Dave or David

Offline Aracer

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017 - 05:52:25 pm »
I just posted the ADVICE for Edelbrock carbs. Ken

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017 - 01:10:25 am »
I ran an eddy 650 on my Superbee before I sold it. It was very adjustable and it didn't take long to dial it in to my liking with different rods, jets, and springs. What I found was that it was very consistent and reliable unlike holleys I've used. It did not produce quite as much power as a Holley but the trade off was worth it to me at the time.

I've recently picked up a used eddy 750 for my current project only because the price was too good to pass on. I'd like to see if I like it and I'm sure it will be reliable like the other but this project is more for power and fun so I'm not crazy about giving up power if I don't have to.

Offline Aracer

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017 - 05:48:10 am »
It runs cold, like it ain't. Electric choke is the same as on Holley, but it is big enough primary side give a blast of air when the cam is looking. The tight ass 650 is cool with 220 duration's, but a 440 will flood with a purple shaft.