Author Topic: Saving a 4 speed JH car  (Read 10024 times)

Online Beekeeper

Re: Saving a 4 speed JH car
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016 - 08:56:54 pm »
Good job! You may, if you haven't already, find more and more rust as you open this thing up. I changed the inner and outer door hinge pillars on mine and when I removed them, found perforation inside and under them to the rocker. Get the dash out and get up under to check the firewall upper section; they're prone to the stand-up lip for the cowl vents rotting  and the top of the firewall as well where the schmutz laid in and on them. I really should try to figure out how to get my pics into a build thread for this kind of stuff. Keep going laddie, you're into it now!  :thumbsup:

Well your words have been nagging at me in the back of my mind this whole time. I was convinced the rust inside the door pillar area wasn't too bad and could be handled with sandblasting but I did more digging today and found you were right. While the rust has not yet affected the strength, it has caused deep pits and a few pin holes here and there. I decided not to mess around and just cut the whole area out so I can fix it right the first time. Didn't want to worry about this issue years later. Still need to do some removal clean up at the top.

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016 - 09:08:08 pm »
Heres a close up of the pillar that got cut out. I hope the new pieces are nice and thick. That door is unbelievably heavy!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016 - 12:19:38 am »
Sorry to be so long getting back. Yeah, yours looks like mine did, for sure and I think you're right on the money about doing it now and not in 5 years.  :thumbsup: I'm guessing you're going to replace both sections of the pillar rather than screw with trying to patch them? The AMD panels worked pretty good and we bonded and while wet, spot welded them together and put them in as an assembly on the old marks and it worked out OK. I used several bonding kits as sealers and they work nicely on pin holed areas; just don't use the quick drying ones as you can spread the stuff to make a layer in a punky area should you so choose. I wouldn't undercoat them until the car is painted as I found the rustproofing leaks out of every pinhole/seam there is and trying to clean it off to paint is a royal PITA. You're doing great, roll on!  :cheers:

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016 - 12:48:02 am »
Thanks. A little nerve racking. Before I started this car, I've done some minor metal work but I'm still very much a novice. This area was one I hoped to avoid since I want to door to actually open and close properly afterward. Haha.

I ordered the other hinge pillar panel tonight so I'm gonna take you're advice and bond/weld them together first and install them as an assembly. The area I'm a bit unsure about is how much metal removal I need to do for install. Unless I have to, I really don't want to remove the upper cowl, the corner piece or the areas around the A pillar. Tomorrow, I will spend some time carefully removing the remnants away and cleaning so I can plan it out better.

If I can get this area right, it will really give me the confidence to do the rear of the car once the front end is done.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016 - 07:13:15 pm »
Good plan. I'd run 3-4 screws into the two panels to hold them together as you attempt to fit them before I bonded/welded them in case you need to do some tweaking. We had the cowl/firewall out of mine when we did them and that surely made it easier, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them in as you are. Sometimes you have to make a cut and bend stuff out of the way to get in and then it's a wee bit more welding, but it's worth it. As for your claim to being a novice, please mail in that badge and we'll send you out a late-term apprentice one to replace it- you're earning it.  ;)

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016 - 12:28:29 pm »
Just in time for Christmas are all the metal pieces I need to complete the door hinge/side cowl repairs. Gonna take my time cleaning everything really nice. Might even open up the upper cowl area a bit more so I can really inspect it well for pin hole leaks. I will eventually pick up a new upper cowl and graft in new metal to the area I cut out. Since its all in he corner under the fender, no one can ever see it, though I plan to make the seam as invisible as possible anyway. With the upper cowl open, I can clean out the inside and maybe even put in some of the KBS rust paint inside as extra protection.

Offline usraptr

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016 - 01:26:43 pm »
 With the upper cowl open, I can clean out the inside and maybe even put in some of the KBS rust paint inside as extra protection.

[/quote]

Good idea.  I used RustBullet on all my new panels and even some old ones.  Good stuff.   :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016 - 01:41:17 pm »
I helped a friend replace the upper cowl on his 70 Charger and I did the whole inside with the stuff. It came out really nice and was rock solid. It's hard to say how far I will go with the upper cowl on this car. I have to buy a new one just so I can cannibalize a corner off it to graft onto this car. Right now, I need to focus on getting the hinge pillar just right. Then I need to do rail and inner fender wall repairs on the driver side still so the upper cowl needs to be one of the last things I do just in case the other side turns out to have similar issues in the corner. It's possible that I may just replace the whole upper cowl since I have to buy a new one anyway. Might be easier in the long run to do that and graft in the VIN than to do it in pieces. By doing the whole upper cowl, it would give me a chance to thoroughly examine the inside, clean it to perfection, then coat it so I never have problems down the road. I'm getting ahead of myself. Haha

Offline redo1973

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2016 - 09:53:38 pm »
This is a cool ambitious project! Thanks for posting.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016 - 02:29:03 am »
" I'm getting ahead of myself."- No, you're not; you're doing it the right way and you'll be happy that you did. I sense that you're also getting a feel for what these cars are like. Once you realize that these cars rot like crazy, you'll be in the position to deal with it. Trying to cut the corner here, as you've discovered, will come back to bite you in the a$$. Pi$$ and moan all one may want, there's only one way to properly fix these things and you're on the road to doing so. I'd put the replacement hinge pillars together and put them on the old marks. Worked for me and I'm sure it'll work for you. It sucks, but you've got to realize that there's only one way, really, to do these cars, unless you're a hacker only intent on flipping one.
PS- Happy New Year, too!  :cheers:

Offline usraptr

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016 - 12:48:08 pm »
After seeing yours and others, I'm so glad the only rust issues I had with my car was the trunk, Dutchman panel and rear quarters.  Which considering it is a Utah car is quit amazing.
Keep up the good work.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016 - 08:37:26 pm »
I do have to say that I'm enjoying this project more than I thought I would. Being the Christmas holiday weekend, I did very little. I managed to find a couple hours though Saturday morning to clean out all the old metal at the A pillar and cowl area. I got the new pieces fitted in perfectly. I am really happy with how easy they were to get fitted. I put a little effort into cleaning out the window ledge area outside. Couple small holes but surprisingly decent shape. I also figured out where the majority of the water came in at. On the A pillar, under the weatherstrip, there are two folds of metal which the factory did not seal properly. Once I got my head inside the cowl area, I noticed the light coming in through that spot. My next step is to get in there with the welder first and fix up all the little holes. It should be easy with everything out of my way. Once that is done, I want to brush and clean everything I can up in there so I can use the rust paint/sealer. Probably won't be needed but I'll never have another chance to do it this well.

The new hinge pillar metal looked awesome all clamped in place. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to get all this done and new metal installed. Then I can turn my attention back to the firewall that I had to open up on that side. I'll post a picture of the Hinge area as soon as it's finished!

Offline redo1973

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016 - 11:54:23 pm »
I agree with Jimmynick.  This is a slow and steady project.  There will be tons of pride an reward at the end.  I'm entering paint phase and watching this car be reborn.  Enjoy it, it's a hobby not a job :bigsmile:

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017 - 03:16:10 pm »
Made a little more progress in between rain falls. Got the door pillar assembly installed. The thing is rock solid now. Just need to do a little sealer and weld cleanup. I also have to make a patch cover to fill in the area above the top hinge. There is a repop piece for this but since tha area around the A pillar was solid, I just just out the flat area where I needed to remove a bit of rust. The patch should be easy and clean.

Offline usraptr

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017 - 03:29:51 pm »
Looks good!  :2thumbs:

(Edited 8-1-17)