Coolant system Demon

Author Topic: Coolant system Demon  (Read 70 times)

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
Coolant system Demon
« on: August 06, 2018 - 12:14:00 pm »
Back again with another strange issue...
I drive my car weekly- generally between 15-30 miles normal town/ highway driving to cars shows and so it gets regular exercise. I have a new (3 yr old) Champion 3 Core aluminum and strong hoses.
Engine is a 440. OEM water pump, etc.
Ran her over this past weekend and noticed about a cup or two of coolant had dripped on the floor. Checked the fluid level and it was good - and drove to the local car show without issue- but it leaked a bit again there.
Drove home and She sat in the garage for a full day- no leaks at all.  ???
I do notice some wet areas just next to where the lower hose enters the radiator- and it looked as if the coolant that leaked ran across the lower radiator frame to the driver's side before dripping when it did.
What would cause this intermittent type of leak and what should I check besides the hose itself?

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
Re: Coolant system Demon
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018 - 02:19:34 pm »
If I am reading this right, you think the leak is coming from the lower radiator hose? Do you have a overflow/pressure hose (the one that attaches by the radiator cap)? Have you looked at that to see if its wet? I'd suspect the radiator cap for a intermittent leak; normally they get weak and are releasing pressure prematurely and subsequently a leak. The solution is a new cap.

If it is the lower hose, then it isnt sealing correctly. It "could" potentially be slipping under engine vibration allowing a leak.

Personally, I would replace the cap and tighten the lower hose and see what happens. If you have already tightened the hose (no idea what type of clamp you have, but I have seen clamps fail many times) and it still leaks, your only option is to drain the system, pull the hose and inspect it and the lower radiator nipple.   
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018 - 04:31:50 pm »
Pressure test the system at about 18-20 psi for about 20 minutes. If no leaks or pressure loss is noted, then it is the radiator cap at fault....
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018 - 09:12:46 pm »
 :iagree: :2thumbs:
Current Mopar
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018 - 07:46:21 am »
Thanks everyone for the input. I've noticed that the liquid that does collect does so on top of the K-Member just below where the lower hose meets the radiator. I'll re-check the clamp- and worst case- drain and re-seat the hose.
If the radiator cap were faulty I would see a trail of liquid running down the radiator or along the fan shroud right?

I'll run her again and re-check.

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018 - 11:26:09 am »
It depends if you have an overflow hose attached and where that hose ends. If your cap is weak or of insufficient pressure rating and you have an overflow hose and it can drain onto your lower radiator shield, then it is possible that you would have coolant under there. All that said and since we cannot see what you are seeing, you are probably right that the lower hose is leaking. What type of clamp do you have on there? If it is a worm style, take a close look at it and make sure it is positioned correctly (behind the sealing bulge of the radiator inlet which you should be able to see/feel through the hose). Try repositioning it and retightening it before you go through all the work of draining it.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars