Author Topic: Ignition Gremlins  (Read 231 times)

Offline mopar70maniac

Ignition Gremlins
« on: October 11, 2017 - 02:34:40 pm »
hello gang! seeking help! she's a 73 challenger 318/924, electronic ignition. since I've had her, she always had an intermittent spark issue... sometimes spark, sometimes not. I've persued the usual avenues of remedy to what seemed like solution... new ecu, starter relay, ballast resistor, ignition switch... even cleaned and lubed all connector harnesses, until 3 months later, again no spark. Today, she decided to fire up! why? I don't know... but I did notice where a gooey waxy type of substance had previously oozed from the ecu. anybody know what that might mean? I'm seriously considering converting her to a points distributor. any advice on how to make that happen would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking just get a small block points distributor, connect a wire and I'm good to go? should I be worried about the original ignition circuitry or bypass it all together? I  would just like to have this beautifully restored specimen of mopar history turn-key again! all input greatly appreciated!

Offline 73440

Re: Ignition Gremlins
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017 - 08:48:31 pm »
I switched last year from points to electronic distributor with a Rev N Nator and all has been good after sorting out which wires to connect to each point. Some "extra " wiring is in the engine bay.
Electrical can drive ya crazy,not always can you see the problem, take your time checking all connections are tight, all grounds are to bare metal , correct voltages are where they should be . Check the air gap on the reluctor  under the cap, .008 I believe. I thought I read a real good kinda in order checklist to use for this type of problem, will try to find.
67 440
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 384,967 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline mopar70maniac

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017 - 04:01:21 pm »
thanks 73 440! Im hoping you find that checklist.... every little bit helps! does it sound like around 9 volts at the coil in "run" is right? and around 12colts during "start" because of the bypass? or can we get away with less volts? reason I ask is that I dont have 9-run or 12-start... im getting somewhere around 4 or 5.  thinking voltage drop somewhere... but I've checked connections... guess I should do it again?

Offline 73440

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017 - 08:12:13 pm »
Been looking and can not find that step by step troubleshooting thread, knew I should have saved it somewhere.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3424.0
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com
There is a lot of info at this link, photobucket killed the photos though. It does list voltages you should have at various readings, and various scenarios.
Also search say " ignition troubles " on this site as there is a lot of info and I think we all have had ignition troubles.
I will keep looking for that step be step troubleshooting thread.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017 - 08:43:14 pm by 73440 »
67 440
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 384,967 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline 69bcuda

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017 - 02:01:45 pm »
some basic stuff here.......
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18

I believe you should be getting battery voltage in "start" side of ballast. Less in "run". Certainly not 4 or 5 though.
Have you tested your battery?
Bulkhead connections clean and tight?

Offline mopar70maniac

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017 - 10:19:04 am »
yes, 69bcuda... I just installed a brand new battery to eliminate that possibility. she starts normally about 90% of the time, just every once in a while she doesn't fire but seems to want to fire as releasing the key. I've heard of this symptom before and that's what prompted me to change the starter switch. I believe I've got a voltage drop situation going one here since I'm not getting 9 volts to the coil... it's more like 5. So I think I came up with a "band-aid" solution. I'm thinking of running a seperate 12 volt lead from battery to coil going through a momentary switch so when I'm having this issue, I can bypass everything and get 12 volts to the coil for starting only... then I release the momentary switch and let her run. sound like a feasible idea?

Offline 69bcuda

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017 - 03:28:18 pm »
Before you add any wiring, make sure you check all the grounds and your starter connections as well.

I believe a "momentary" switch is just that, isn't it? Only on for a period of time no matter how long it's held. Need more of a "hold on / release off" sort of deal. Fusing to protect from shorts too.

Offline mopar70maniac

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017 - 09:51:21 am »
perhaps momentary is the wrong word... hold on/release off is what I mean... my concern is does this remedy compromise the original circuitry in any way? I'm thinking not... as it is only during starting process. any input?

Offline 69bcuda

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017 - 01:16:01 pm »
I really don't recommend it. Even though the band aid approach can work, the last thing you want is anything running a high current, getting hot, and causing a fire in your car's electrical.
IMO, you need to figure out and repair the issue even if it means spending some $$ on qualified services. These cars and parts for them aren't just dime a dozen in the JYs anymore.