Author Topic: Frame rack ideas  (Read 255 times)

Offline Beekeeper

Frame rack ideas
« on: October 01, 2017 - 07:23:07 pm »
I have been toying with the idea of building a frame rack/body stand that I can use to make precise measurements of frame components as I rebuild the entire rear half of my 70 Challenger. My question are...
1) has anyone here attempted something like this and what advice can you give
2) anyone have a good idea of the weight of the entire body (with doors but minus fenders and hood)

It's not enough for me to build the rack, I need a way to safely load the body onto it and back off once done.

My idea is that I'll have specific resting points at the front trans crossmember and rear Spring hangers in front of the rear wheel. This is where many frame measurements are based on. Ideally, I'd like to be able to place a removeable jig across the beams at the back to locate the precise spot where the new rear frame rails go. Then I could mock up the entire rear body.

Offline ldr

Re: Frame rack ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017 - 08:13:22 pm »
a frame chart will help you most , in the rear of factory service manual are diagrams and measurements. if you put your car on a lift you will se alignment holes in each frame rail. with all measurements you need to "x" them out to make sure you are square. you will need a forklift to pick the car up and down off the rack . theres more to it if you want to call ill try to explain

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017 - 11:36:52 pm »
You're building a laser powered, computer controlled, electro-pneumatic flyswatter to kill flies IMHO. If this is all over repairing the rot in the back of your car, please give some thought to the fact that you repaired the front, which is much more critical- without such a device. The rear is not as "fussy" as the front and all you need to do is block the car on stands, make your measurements both before and after and support the rails. Everything runs off the rails and your previous method of hanging the tin, fitting and then welding will stand you in good stead while doing the rear as well. At the end of the day, you'll do whatever the hell you want to, but you're making an onerous job ever more complicated. Sorry, just my  :2cents:

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017 - 03:18:40 am »
You're building a laser powered, computer controlled, electro-pneumatic flyswatter to kill flies IMHO. If this is all over repairing the rot in the back of your car, please give some thought to the fact that you repaired the front, which is much more critical- without such a device. The rear is not as "fussy" as the front and all you need to do is block the car on stands, make your measurements both before and after and support the rails. Everything runs off the rails and your previous method of hanging the tin, fitting and then welding will stand you in good stead while doing the rear as well. At the end of the day, you'll do whatever the hell you want to, but you're making an onerous job ever more complicated. Sorry, just my  :2cents:

Actually, I abandoned this idea days after my post because I kind of came to a similar conclusion. I need to update my other post but I've made good progress on the back end already.

I thought the rack looked cool and the idea of having something on wheels seemed appealing. I am going to build a rotisserie though for the car. Very soon, I will have need of it for the sandblasting and final metal detail work all around the car.

Offline PLUM_72

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017 - 04:21:34 pm »
Is this a one time thing or are you in the resto business?  For single one time use, I think you could come up with a frame rack made from a couple wood LVL beams.  They are strong, relatively inexpensive compared to steel, and would take the weight of the body.  If all you want to do is add wheels to it, roll it, and provide body dimensions and frame alignment spots this should do the trick.  I would think you could get factory tolerances or better with this solution.

Some of these home spun, budget friendly, DIY solutions can get pretty good.  I recall in a past post someplace Goody coming up with a tilting body rack made of plywood.  Thought that was pretty ingenious.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017 - 04:33:52 pm »
I currently have the car on thick u channels with cross beams all leveled out. This worked for me in the front when I redid all that metal and everything lined up great when I hung stuff back on. I'm sure it will be fine in the back.

To answer your other question, I can see me doing metal work on cars for many years. I enjoy it so a rack like that would get used more than once. I decided not to build this at this time. I am however going to build my own rotisserie as I get closer to needing it for sandblasting and painting.